PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL's Goodell Proposes Crackdown on Cheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodell is a tool, but there may be one positive in this article. I think that him saying he wants a lower standard of proof may stem from all these tampering allegations. I've heard that it is difficult to actually prove tampering in the current NFL system. Of course, this is just what I've heard...I have limited knowledge about NFL infraction rules.

I also have another kind of unrelated question that someone can hopefully answer for me. I was talking with one of my friends and he said that the reason Goodell can't go after any other team for cheating is because someone in the league has to file a complaint against the team. Is that true? Sorry if that sounds like a really stupid question. Like I said, I have limited knowledge about this.

Hmmm....I wonder if Polian just cancelled the order for the new crowd mics that were going to be installed at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Anyway, congrats to the media, the NFL, players, coaches and fans who have all been screaming "Cheaters" since last September. They got what they deserved and now the league will be crawling around EVERY single teams facility to see what they're up to.

Oh boy, this is gonna be good. Is it possible to buy stock in asterisks? I have a feeling they're going to be rather popular starting this season.

Seems like the NFL stands for the National Fingerpointing League.

Hmmm, let's see, Asante Samuel and Smiley most definitely had a deal well before the opening of free agency. I don't have evidence, but I don't need absolute proof. Therefore I fine the Eagles a first round draft choice and give it to the Patriots.

Florio's take:
http://beta.profootballtalk.com/2008/03/07/goodell-embarks-on-a-cheating-crusade/

GOODELL EMBARKS ON A CHEATING CRUSADE
Posted by Mike Florio on March 7, 2008, 8:36 a.m.
In a move that casts further doubt on former Commissioner Paul Tagliabue’s chances for ever getting into Canton without paying the admission fee, current Commissioner Roger Goodell wants to implement sweeping reforms regarding the process of detecting and punishing cheating.

According to the Washington Post, Goodell sent a memo on Thursday to the Competition Committee outlining various proposals intended “to preserve the competitive integrity of the game” and “maintain public confidence” in the game.

For starters, Goodell wants to police more effectively the activities of NFL team. Said the memo: “This will include spot checks of club facilities, including team locker rooms; press boxes and coaches booths; coach-to-quarterback and other in-stadium communication systems . . . and enhanced monitoring of team practices. Many of these checks will be virtually unannounced and clubs would be expected fully to cooperate with this effort.”

We like it. Though many teams now fear getting nailed like the Patriots did, the truth is that the Patriots got nailed because they flew too close to the sun on wings of pastrami. Without a system in place to catch teams with their hands in the cookie jar, teams know that they will only get caught when they grab the cookie jar from the counter and run around the house with it shouting, “I am stealing the cookies, eating the cookies, and gradually digesting the cookies into stool!”

Goodell also wants to reduce the standard of proof necessary for an internal finding that a team has cheated. “Too often,” he wrote, “competitive violations have gone unpunished because conclusive proof of the violation was lacking. I believe we should reconsider the standard of proof to be applied in such cases, and make it easier for a competitive violation to be established. And where a violation is shown, I intend to impose more stringent penalties on both the club and the responsible individual(s). I will also be prepared to make greater use of draft choice forfeiture in appropriate cases. I believe this will have the effect of deterring violations and making people more willing to report violations on a timely basis.”

This notion of violations not being reported on a timely basis represents, in our view, an implicit acknowledgement that cheating had been more widespread than previously believed, and that there previously had been a conspiracy of silence about it, as evidenced by the recent disclosure that former Jets Herm Edwards once smiled and waved to Bill Belichick’s supposedly secret cameras that were taping defensive coaching signals, and by Jimmy Johnson’s assertion in the wake of the Spygate I scandal that he had learned about the practice of taping signals when he came to the Cowboys in 1989.

We applaud the Commissioner for dealing with a problem that his predecessor(s) ignored, and we think that the move is far more courageous than it appears to be. Though the Commissioner is in charge of the game, he works for the 32 teams. And if the 32 teams prefer to operate with a “Spy vs. Spy” dynamic in the sport, they might not appreciate the Commissioner imposing on them a new approach to cheating that coincidentally was leaked to the media on the same day that the memo was sent.

Our sense is that the league office got the memo to the press so that the pressure would be placed on the teams to agree with Goodell’s suggestions. Let’s put it this way — if Goodell didn’t think he needed to get all of the teams to buy in to the notion that change is needed, the public wouldn’t have become aware of this memo so quickly. And to the extent that Goodell by all appearances has put his own interests at arguable risk for the sake of the broader interests of the sport that he serves and loves, we respect him more than ever.

Florio is not a good writer. I suggest he tone down his articles in the future.

What amazes me, the media seems to love the word "cheating", every report on this memo bolds the word cheating, but that word is nowhere in the memo !

Goodell calls it what it is " competitive violations ", but that won't sell copy like the word cheating !

I know, it's semantics but because Belichick was taping in front of everyone and the other coaches knew it and acknowledge it, is it cheating ?

Cheating is an act of lying, deception, fraud, trickery, imposture, or imposition, did Belichick or the Patriots do any of that ???

Last edited:
This buffon gets no respect from me as commish until he comes forward and takes public action against the person(s) in his own office who leaked the Pats videotapes to FOX NEWS. He's acting as a martinette full of bombast and empty of substance.

Go do something usefull...
1. Deal with the cable TV vs. NFLN imbroglio
2. Broker an owners-Players Union fix to the ludicrous overpayment for unproven Top 10 picks
3. Address the sad issue of old players with job related medical issues
4. Find creative solutions to enable families (and your next generation customers) to attend some games vs the complete corporatization of game day attendance

Last edited:
This buffon gets no respect from me as commish until he comes forward and takes public action against the person(s) in his own office who leaked the Pats videotapes to FOX NEWS. He's acting as a martinette full of bombast and empty of substance.

Go do something usefull...
1. Deal with the cable TV vs. NFLN imbroglio
2. Broker an owners-Players Union fix to the ludicrous overpayment for unproven Top 10 picks
3. Address the sad issue of old players with job related medical issues
4. Find creative solutions to enable families (and your next generation customers) to attend some games vs the complete corporatization of game day attendance

PWP - While you are at it can you make it illegal for the NFL to print it's own currency! I'm specifically talkingabout Jerry Jones and the Taj Mahal he is building in Arlington and Krafty Bob and the Patriots Place.

Let me get this straight ...

Commissioner Goodfella can now levy the most severe judgement in NFL history against the Patriots without actually seeing the evidence ... oh wait he already did that because they ignored his memo and arrogantly videotaped in the coaches box during the game.

What really bothers me is that Goodfella could potentially decide on a case like the alleged Spygate II / Matt Walsh accusation without having any evidence.

Let me get this straight ...

Commissioner Goodfella can now levy the most severe judgement in NFL history against the Patriots without actually seeing the evidence ... oh wait he already did that because they ignored his memo and arrogantly videotaped in the coaches box during the game.

What really bothers me is that Goodfella could potentially decide on a case like the alleged Spygate II / Matt Walsh accusation without having any evidence.

There was no clear defintion of what would be required as evidence, I'm sure just accusations won't cut it ! Matt Walsh didn't have anything and Goodell knew that once Walsh climbed back under his rock !

I read this today, and I find the "conclusive proof" part to be absolutely ridiculous.

Really, I spontaneously blurted out "How does that make ANY sense?" right when I read it.

Didn't want to start a new thread but Lee Hamilton of KLAC (Los Angeles) is now reporting (just 10 minutes ago) that the Pats had video of the Chargers practice and implied that it was the reason that the Pats won the last three match-ups. He did not provide any source or evidence but I'm sure that the San Diego media will pick up on this and blow it up if they haven't already.

Didn't want to start a new thread but Lee Hamilton of KLAC (Los Angeles) is now reporting (just 10 minutes ago) that the Pats had video of the Chargers practice and implied that it was the reason that the Pats won the last three match-ups. He did not provide any source or evidence but I'm sure that the San Diego media will pick up on this and blow it up if they haven't already.

is Lee Hamilton at all related to that other Cry Baby (LT)

The whole world got caught up in over exaggerating anything the Patriots did. ESPN, and other media outlets tried to sell magazines by making it seem like the end of the world. IMO Commissioner Goodell got caught up in it, didn't do proper investigating, and punished us too harshly. By not publicly clarifying why he did that specific penalty, he opened up more speculation for the media.

Boo Goodell!
Boo national media coverage!
Boo people who are so shortsighted to believe the Pats are the lone cheaters.

This whole thing reminds me of the Mitchell Report. Only 5% get caught, and they pay the whole leagues dues.

I can't help but wonder if the press attention some of the Patsfans.com members have been able to generate about the breadth and depth of "cheating" in the NFL over the last 50 years has anything to do with this.

I'm not saying Goodell reads this messageboard - but he does likely read Profootballtalk.com and thanks to members here we've drawn renewed attention to the practice of videotaping lockerooms (Parcells) taping of practices (Shanahan - drawing attention to the Yahoo Sports article - which thanks to Patsfans members, re-appeared on PFT, generating the present ire of Shanahan) and "cheating" dating back to 1955.

Last edited:
BJ McWild proposes overthrow of Goodell as commissioner.

This is the STUPIDEST thing I've ever seen.

What a joke!

I am still angry about the Touchdown celebration rule ...

pretty soon we are going to be the:

AFL ... Amish Football League ...

No offense Amish people .. I love ya ... your just a tad boring that's all.:p

Hacksaw is a hack, I think he meant the Broncos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down