PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL's Best and Worst Stadiums....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slagathor said:
I don't know if I agree with all of this.....but it's still a fun, brainless read.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/5941952?FSO1&ATT=HCP&GT1=8595
It's an interesting thing to discuss, but the writer is ranking more than just the stadiums themselves, he's including the entire stadium experience (unruly fans, heavy traffic, etc).

If you want to talk about the stadiums themselves, there's no way the RCA Dome doesn't find its way into the bottom 5. Giants Stadium ain't all that bad - especially considering how old it is. I've never been to Joakland, but I can't imagine that stadium out there is all that great.

I really want to check out that new building they got themselves out there in Arizona.

Everyone is obsessed with lists nowadays.

Can't believe they have Gillette on that list. Middle of the pack now at best. The Linc in Philly is much better that Gillette. Lurie had more money to spend and you can tell. Lots more room to hang out and watch the game in SRO sections. Don't like the big jumbotron in the end zone. Too close to eye level with the field and can be distracting.

Arrowhead was amazing. Great fans. Great tailgating. Friendly. Hospitable.
LOUD.

The new stadium here in Denver is also better than Gilette IMO. The fans don't really tailgate compared to Foxboro, Philly but the stadium itself is wicked nice. Also very loud. They used steel instead of concrete to simulate the noise made at the old Mile-high.

How can Lambeau not be higher. The absolute best tailgating/party atmosphere in the league. You can pay $15 for all you can eat and drink in one of the party tents right outside the stadium. Also plenty of bars/restaurants right there. Fans are incredibly nice and freindly even to opposing fans. Parking is $5. The renovations made recently are phenomenal.

Giants Stadium is not that bad. Been to (2) Pats games there. Sat in cheap seats and the good seats too. Remarkable easy to get out of the lots after the game.

As far as rowdy, drunk, rude fans are concerned. Despite the anti-Philly bias that the media loves to harp on, the worst fans are in Oakland. Which I haven't been to but EVERYONE I have every spoke to that has been there has expresed that opinion. Also an old crappy stadium too. The stories were so bad I would not plan a trip to see the Pats there.

My 2-cents.

I can't imagine why PBS would be on the bottom of the list. Loud, obnoxious fans? Why, that gentleman who screamed "Corey Dillon sucks my ****" at me in a drunken stupor was clearly just trying to talk about the game in good fun. Although the Bengals have a good team now for the first time in like 15 years and are constantly being shat on by Steeler fans so I guess I can see where their hostility comes from (note, think drunken Red Sox fans.)

denverpatsfan said:
Everyone is obsessed with lists nowadays.

Can't believe they have Gillette on that list. Middle of the pack now at best. The Linc in Philly is much better that Gillette. Lurie had more money to spend and you can tell. Lots more room to hang out and watch the game in SRO sections. Don't like the big jumbotron in the end zone. Too close to eye level with the field and can be distracting.

Arrowhead was amazing. Great fans. Great tailgating. Friendly. Hospitable.
LOUD.

The new stadium here in Denver is also better than Gilette IMO. The fans don't really tailgate compared to Foxboro, Philly but the stadium itself is wicked nice. Also very loud. They used steel instead of concrete to simulate the noise made at the old Mile-high.

How can Lambeau not be higher. The absolute best tailgating/party atmosphere in the league. You can pay $15 for all you can eat and drink in one of the party tents right outside the stadium. Also plenty of bars/restaurants right there. Fans are incredibly nice and freindly even to opposing fans. Parking is $5. The renovations made recently are phenomenal.

Giants Stadium is not that bad. Been to (2) Pats games there. Sat in cheap seats and the good seats too. Remarkable easy to get out of the lots after the game.

As far as rowdy, drunk, rude fans are concerned. Despite the anti-Philly bias that the media loves to harp on, the worst fans are in Oakland. Which I haven't been to but EVERYONE I have every spoke to that has been there has expresed that opinion. Also an old crappy stadium too. The stories were so bad I would not plan a trip to see the Pats there.

My 2-cents.

At Lambeau they have aluminum benches without seatbacks, right? Please share more about what it's like there that makes it so special. Are those party tents you mentioned accessible to everyone? What do you get for your $15?

Tunescribe said:
At Lambeau they have aluminum benches without seatbacks, right? Please share more about what it's like there that makes it so special. Are those party tents you mentioned accessible to everyone? What do you get for your $15?

Wow always a tough crowd on this board.

Yes those party tents were accessible to everyone. Not just the stiffs that pay big bucks to WEEI like in Foxboro. You did get plenty of food and drink there.

I don't any problem with the benches. Never did in Foxboro either. I sat in a new section that had chairbacks though.

If you have been there and did not feel the energy around that stadium I don't know what to say. The people were friendly I was invited to (2) tailgate by people I just had met the night before. I tried chese curds for the first time. Had a brat too. The stores, restaurants and fan areas that were added to the stadium seamlessly. The entire place just took my breath away.

I would recommend reading this biography of Vince Lombardi. It gives alot of history on not just Vince, but the Packers and Green Bay too.

http://www.amazon.com/When-Pride-St...=pd_bbs_1/002-2744914-4979259?ie=UTF8&s=books

denverpatsfan said:
Wow always a tough crowd on this board.

Yes those party tents were accessible to everyone. Not just the stiffs that pay big bucks to WEEI like in Foxboro. You did get plenty of food and drink there.

I don't any problem with the benches. Never did in Foxboro either. I sat in a new section that had chairbacks though.

If you have been there and did not feel the energy around that stadium I don't know what to say. The people were friendly I was invited to (2) tailgate by people I just had met the night before. I tried chese curds for the first time. Had a brat too. The stores, restaurants and fan areas that were added to the stadium seamlessly. The entire place just took my breath away.

I would recommend reading this biography of Vince Lombardi. It gives alot of history on not just Vince, but the Packers and Green Bay too.

http://www.amazon.com/When-Pride-St...=pd_bbs_1/002-2744914-4979259?ie=UTF8&s=books

Thanks. The reason I asked is because I'm thinking of making the trip this year for the Pats game. If you don't mind me asking, generally what section(s) have chairbacks? And did that $15 food/drink fee include beer?

I've been to Gillette, the Metrodome, LA Colliseum (a long time ago), Sun Devil Stadium and Charlotte. Did not like the Metrodome one bit, same goes for the Colliseum. Gillette is possibly the best stadium I've ever been to for any sport - but lacked atmosphere. Tempe is a great college town, the bars were great, and tailgating unbelievable - especially as we outnumbered the locals about 4:1. All in all though, my vote would go to Charlotte (even though the Pats lost). OK, downtown Charlotte was dead on Saturday afternoon, full of Pats fans looking for something to do. But the bars are superb, really good barbeque, tailgating excellent, and I love everything about the stadium - the location, the views of downtown, the atmosphere.

Tunescribe said:
Thanks. The reason I asked is because I'm thinking of making the trip this year for the Pats game. If you don't mind me asking, generally what section(s) have chairbacks? And did that $15 food/drink fee include beer?

Glad I can help. I sat in the new end zone section that had chairbacks. not the best seats but good enough. I don't remember the exact section number.

The prices in the party tents may have been more to include adult beverages. Still a great deal. I would recommend just crusing around the whole area though. You can drink anywhere and mingle. I took a cab from the hotel and wandered around eating and drinking until I found the tailgates I was invited too.

My ticket was expensive. Packers home opener. Rededication of the Field. But worth it. If you are a big NFL fan it's a trip/pilgrimage I would highly recommend it.

I think Philly's stadium is underrated b/c of their fans. FedEx Field is definitely the worst- what an uninspired use of concrete and steel.

I've only been to Foxboro Stadium and Raymond James Stadium.

RJ was a pretty cool place. Only problem with it was the seats were half empty by midway through the second quarter. And this was a November game in the season that the Bucs were on their way to a Super Bowl championship. Rather pathetic fan support, but I guess it's more enjoyable to watch the game on TV while out on your boat.

are really so bad the fans in Cincinnati ?

i do not dislike the Bengals personally

I'm a Pats fan and at one time had tickets in the old section 219 row 25 ( I think). Great seats, I didn't mind the aluminum, I had a seat I attached or a cushion at various times. If I was around for the move to Gillette I probably would have ended up in the third tier because I couldn't afford the lower and club sections.

I get to a game once a year, sit in the back row of the second tier just next to the club seats. Sight line is straight ahead, seats suck.

Give me back the old stadium. I just go to watch football. I don't need chair arms, cup holders or fancy food. I'm stuffed from tailgating.

When they kickoff, I'm in my seat and don't move until the final gun.

What's my point? They are all big steel and concrete structures and they are only great if you can afford the expensive seats. Other than that you are in nose bleed country.

Stadiums haven't nothing to do with ease of viewing, it's all about maximizing the big spenders.

I'll stay home and watch TV.

italianpatthepatriot said:
are really so bad the fans in Cincinnati ?

i do not dislike the Bengals personally

Eh, it was a preseason game when I went and there were a good number of people who wanted to do nothing but start crap, which hey I don't mind some razzing it's one of my favorite parts of going to another stadium but some of them are just rowdy drunken idiots. It really reminded me of a Red Sox crowd when they're getting blown out or a Foxboro stadium crowd in the early 80's, I can't imagine what it's like during a meaningfull game against the Steelers.

I'm sure this is an old one but since someone mentioned it, I hated the steal seats in the old stadium for many reasons.

In fact last Sunday was my first time in the new stadium and first time to a Pats game in roughly 10 years. I was a little apprehension about taking my wife since the last time I went the crowd was obnoxious, crude, foul. etc. Granted it was a preseason game but whatever. And the previous others I went to all had brawls breaking out across the stadium.

We both walked away very happy with the game experience. The crowd was great, very friendly, into the game, and clean. For those of you who have gone to the games consistently over the years, when did the crowd change in Foxboro and what made it change?

Of course, the parking/driving experience was horrendous so if other stadiums handle that better Gillette should be docked for that.

Interesting list. I agree that FedEx is not a top ranked stadium. It has zero character, and takes the average Joe 13 minutes to walk to their seats in the upper deck. Funny the writer only remarked about traffic woes in DC - they're twice as bad at Foxboro (which he conveniently omitted in his writeup).

I've only been to a fraction of the stadiums in the NFL, but to date my favorite remains Ralph Wilson in Buffalo. It is easily accessible, non-pretentious, and has the character of an old arena (yup, bench seats). But I'm an old school type of fan, so I'm biased against the new stadiums.

Even so I would give props to Cleveland Browns Stadium. It's new, no frills, but retains crowd noise very well. Unfortunately Gillette doesn't do it for me. the concourses have the feel of an overpriced county fair; too many distractions. The design isn't bad - but too many gimmicks (but that's just me, I know a lot of fans who love the place).

Just my 2 cents.

Yes, Buffalo is a good experience, saw game #18 tying the win streak there. It is reminiscent of Foxboro stadium.

Tennessee isn't bad but like all the other new ones if you are in the third tier you need oxygen masks and telescopes.

I'm too old to see that far anymore

brady et al fan said:
I'm sure this is an old one but since someone mentioned it, I hated the steal seats in the old stadium for many reasons.

In fact last Sunday was my first time in the new stadium and first time to a Pats game in roughly 10 years. I was a little apprehension about taking my wife since the last time I went the crowd was obnoxious, crude, foul. etc. Granted it was a preseason game but whatever. And the previous others I went to all had brawls breaking out across the stadium.

We both walked away very happy with the game experience. The crowd was great, very friendly, into the game, and clean. For those of you who have gone to the games consistently over the years, when did the crowd change in Foxboro and what made it change?

Of course, the parking/driving experience was horrendous so if other stadiums handle that better Gillette should be docked for that.

Kraft beefed up security and threw out the besotted fans, revoking their tix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back