PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLPA* is a sham

Status
Not open for further replies.
the owners side will be all over this and they have a point.......if they are decertified and they wish to have the decertification not deemed a sham, then they really need to not be doing this:

Report: NFLPA* tells incoming players to boycott draft | ProFootballTalk

they still trying to act relevant even though they aren't

Makes little difference if they are physically present when drafted. You can be sure these players won't take any advice that puts them at a competitive disadvantage in positioning.

The NFLPA decertified. It's now a trade association. The people weren't required to commit seppuku, or anything. They can still talk to the players.

Last edited:
The NFLPA decertified. It's now a trade association. The people weren't required to commit seppuku, or anything. They can still talk to the players.

still, it doesn't help them when a judge has the latitude to make a call either way

the owners side will be all over this and they have a point.......if they are decertified and they wish to have the decertification not deemed a sham, then they really need to not be doing this:

Decertification only applies to collective bargaining activities. You still have trade associations and the like. Hell, they could be a Block Club or a Book club. They are just not authorized to negotiate on behalf of the players.

Personally, I hope this means that we can have fewer mindless interviews with players and more analysis during the broadcast. I hate the manufactured hysteria of the draft.

Makes little difference if they are physically present when drafted. You can be sure these players won't take any advice that puts them at a competitive disadvantage in positioning.

Don't be so sure. Von Miller is part of the lawsuit. You can bet he might drop now... to the Patriots!!

If this does indeed transpire, it will hurt the fans who tune into the draft hoping to see their team draft one of the invitees. Also, fans will miss seeing some of the great reactions of players drafted (e.g. Gronk in 2010).

The NFLPA better be careful. The might be playing into the owners' hands in their lawsuit claiming the decertification is a sham if the NFLPA is advising players how to conduct business as a union would rather than a trade organization. I am certainly no expert on labor law, but I think it is logical that if they are acting like a union while claiming they are no longer a union, the owners might have a case that their decertification is a sham.

Last edited:
The NFLPA better be careful. The might be playing into the owners' hands in their lawsuit claiming the decertification is a sham if the NFLPA is advising players how to conduct business as a union would rather than a trade organization. I am certainly no expert on labor law, but I think it is logical that if they are acting like a union while claiming they are no longer a union, the owners might have a case that their decertification is a sham.

It's probably legal for them to do, but it all adds little bits to the owner's case that the Union hasn't been acting in good faith (not that I agree or disagree, just that it will almost certainly be used).

This seems stupid as this Markets the individual as much as it markets the new weapon of said team. It is "the first chance fans get to meet their new players" not only do they lose out on face time for themselves but they will also never be part of Draft promos in the future. Bradfords moment last year has been used over and over as part of pre draft promos for this year.

Saw this posted on Facebook today...pretty funny...even if it is not 100% true!

The Art of Negotiating by DeMaruice Smith (NFL Players Union Chief):

DeMaurice: "I would like $100.00"
Owners: "Ok, DeMaurice. Here you go. $100.00"
DeMaurice: "Oh no, I reject that proposal. Don't think you can pull the wool over my eyes! We're decertifying! I'll see you in court!"

Saw this posted on Facebook today...pretty funny...even if it is not 100% true!

The Art of Negotiating by DeMaruice Smith (NFL Players Union Chief):

DeMaurice: "I would like $100.00"
Owners: "Ok, DeMaurice. Here you go. $100.00"
DeMaurice: "Oh no, I reject that proposal. Don't think you can pull the wool over my eyes! We're decertifying! I'll see you in court!"

But it appears it's close to the truth

Don't be so sure. Von Miller is part of the lawsuit. You can bet he might drop now... to the Patriots!!

Von Miller is part of 1 of 9 different lawsuits that they NFLPA plans to file. He has nothing to do with the decertification.

It's probably legal for them to do, but it all adds little bits to the owner's case that the Union hasn't been acting in good faith (not that I agree or disagree, just that it will almost certainly be used).

This is still peanuts compared to the players' claim that the owners never acted in good faith, going back to securing 4.5B in TV revenue in a lockout.

The owners have no legit response to this, they are going to lose in court.

I'm no labor lawyer either but I think its the worst kept secret in the world that they are not representing the players in name only.
They do not need to be a union becuase there is no collective bargaining to be done. Had the lockout occured first, they would have been decertified by default.
Nothing is more obvious than the fact that they decertified in order to sue, and intend to recertify when all is done.
However, as with most legal matters, ulterior motives are probably irrelevant.

what's a sham?

I believe the owners are getting the upper hand in terms of the public perception.....

up until last week, I was kind of leaning towards the players. their latest refusal along with following up with messages like this make me see them as 'I am going to hold my breath until I get my way'

it begins to justify jerry richardsons statement: 'I got screwed as a player, I'll be damned if I get screwed as an owner'

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes