PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLPA Draft Day Plans...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoLewisrocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Gotta love the fact that the Union turned Association who offered as far back as 2010 to trade a top tier rookie salary cap and wage scale for the chance to maintain the status quo for it's present veteran members is the one organizing a solidarity event...complete with implied threats.

That's right, players who aren't in the NFL yet and haven't paid a dime of union dues could be the latest pawns in the fight between the owners and players over a new collective bargaining agreement. The decertified union is looking into getting veterans from every team to show up in New York, so that when the college players are drafted, they'll all have a future teammate, not the commissioner, greet them.

Will it work? One agent with several prospective first-round picks thinks it will, telling me this morning: "What is the first round of the draft for the NFL? It's a TV show, a show that makes the league a lot of money. They're going to be asking young men to shake the hand of a commissioner [Roger Goodell] who is trying to lock them out. They're going to be asking young men to help the league put on this big TV production. And I can tell you this: There're a few quarterbacks who could get picked high in this draft and the NFL will invite to New York. All those quarterbacks would do by attending the draft for the NFL is giving DeMarcus Ware more incentive to knock their blocks off the first time they line up across the line of scrimmage from him.''

Read more: NFLPA draft boycott would disrupt NFL draft tradition - Peter King - SI.com

This bugs me quite a bit more than anything that has happened so far. The draft is supposed to be a sort of a welcoming to the NFL, an event like a homecoming of sorts.
For this whatever you call it union to pressure the kids who haven't played a down to give up their day is selfish imo. They really do make themselves look bad in this instance.

Some of the kids will simply stay home and be interviewed. There is no union. It would be sad if players decided to voluntarily disrupt the draft, with no union backing, and no strike. It would seem that they are still under contract and subject to various clauses in their contract regard behavior. Obviously, union activity is not prohibited, but this will NOY be union activity, since there is no union.

Some of the kids will simply stay home and be interviewed. There is no union. It would be sad if players decided to voluntarily disrupt the draft, with no union backing, and no strike. It would seem that they are still under contract and subject to various clauses in their contract regard behavior. Obviously, union activity is not prohibited, but this will NOY be union activity, since there is no union.

Union or no Union someone is pressuring these players not to attend. It's bogus in my book not appreciated in the least. I understand the need to get what is good and fair. But imo this isn't the way to do it.

In the end, if there is action, then the cause will need to be determined. Those involved shouldn't be allowed to be agents in the future.

Union or no Union someone is pressuring these players not to attend. It's bogus in my book not appreciated in the least. I understand the need to get what is good and fair. But imo this isn't the way to do it.

who cares? In the end the player will still be drafted. The only thing this hurts is the players chance for a little celebration. It just cancels the dog and pony show on ESPN.

yes, all that is affected is that players will not be able to celebrate this important day in their lives. A day of anticipation and celebration would be turned into ugliness. And BTW, how would you feal if Mankins and Brady stood on a picket line in front of the draft, representing not the union, but some useless group of agents?

If all that matters is money, then you are right in saying who cares.

who cares? In the end the player will still be drafted. The only thing this hurts is the players chance for a little celebration. It just cancels the dog and pony show on ESPN.

yes, all that is affected is that players will not be able to celebrate this important day in their lives. A day of anticipation and celebration would be turned into ugliness. And BTW, how would you feal if Mankins and Brady stood on a picket line in front of the draft, representing not the union, but some useless group of agents?

If all that matters is money, then you are right in saying who cares.

i dont think you interpreted my post as intended. The Players "Union" will only be hurting themselves if they boycott...robbing the players of the chance to a celebration. How is boycotting the draft going to hurt the owners?

I think that we agree.

The only folks the disrupters will be the players who celebration will be marred.

i dont think you interpreted my post as intended. The Players "Union" will only be hurting themselves if they boycott...robbing the players of the chance to a celebration. How is boycotting the draft going to hurt the owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes