PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLPA approves new IR rule and later trade deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think Nick McDonald would be a good candidate for an IR return since he is expected to miss, at least, the first two weeks.

It would also help to IR him with the current roster crunch.

I don't think it would be a wise or valuable use of the return from IR slot to use it on a back-up offensive lineman.

This spot should be used for an impact player who has a serious but not season ending injury. For instance if Gronkowski breaks his leg in Week 2, this would be a good spot to stash for for 10 weeks, and then bring him back in December. It is that type of injury and player that the rule is most valuable for.

Now if it is Week 17 and all Patriot star players are still healthy and playing, then sure, bring back a marginal guy, but I don't think the Patriots or anyone else will use that spot for a marginal roster guy before Week 17.

Last edited:
I don't think it would be a wise or valuable use of the return from IR slot to use it on a back-up offensive lineman.

This spot should be used for an impact player who has a serious but not season ending injury. For instance if Gronkowski breaks his leg in Week 2, this would be a good spot to stash for for 10 weeks, and then bring him back in December. It is that type of injury and player that the rule is most valuable for.

Now if it is Week 17 Patriot star is still healthy and playing, then sure, bring back a marginal guy, but I don't think the Patriots or anyone else will use that spot for a marginal roster guy before Week 17.

On second thought I think you're right; also not withstanding that it is supposed to be for a player who had a "major injury".

Whatever THAT means.

As usual Schefter jumped the gun and the league says for this year only you can use the designation on guys already on IR (which is only fair as team may have held off otherwise given the 90 man rosters).

@greggrosenthal NFL release confirms for this year only teams can use exemption for players like Desmond Bishop already on I.R.

The designation of major injury thus far appears to be defined as an injury expected to keep a player off the field for at least 6 weeks.

So in the Patriots case, with no significant players currently on IR, it makes sense to hold onto this open slot for any major injuries that may crop up in the early games?

Is there a potential creative usage that I'm missing? I am reading some mention of Ballard, he seems to be a better case for PUP since he's already eligible for that.

Don't know what is wrong with Shiancoe but if it's likely to drag on for another 6 weeks they could IR him and have him available in 7 wieks and then activate Ballard in week 9 and have him available by week 12. Kind of like an endless suppey of TE's. More likely they save it in case Mankins or Vollmer or Fells suffer a setback with injuries they are returning from or Chung goes down in a heap or Spikes or Ras I can't stay on the field or god forbid one of the two TE's or a WR goes down for a number of weeks. Or Vince :eek:

Just nice to have the option and not have to carry a player or move on when you know it will be a while but they could come back.

Yeah I like the idea of seeing Shiancoe on this list (Field Yates suggested he's a candidate), but then the instant one of the players you mentioned goes down... :bricks:

Don't know what is wrong with Shiancoe but if it's likely to drag on for another 6 weeks they could IR him and have him available in 7 wieks and then activate Ballard in week 9 and have him available by week 12. Kind of like an endless suppey of TE's. More likely they save it in case Mankins or Vollmer or Fells suffer a setback with injuries they are returning from or Chung goes down in a heap or Spikes or Ras I can't stay on the field or god forbid one of the two TE's or a WR goes down for a number of weeks. Or Vince :eek:

Just nice to have the option and not have to carry a player or move on when you know it will be a while but they could come back.

You just killed off half the team!

Cut it out!

;)

The designation of major injury thus far appears to be defined as an injury expected to keep a player off the field for at least 6 weeks.

Will Allen sounds like a pretty reasonable candidate, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back