PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLN Pats/Jets Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswlek

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Just watched the NFLN game preview and it sparked a few thoughts.

* They went into some nice depth about the Jets' blitz with quite a few highlights. Of course they made it seem as if this was the first defense ever to run such a pressure defense, but pumping stuff up is their job. A couple highlights stood out to me for the opposite reason than the announcers intended. One was a rush where NY sent two LBs and a DT up the A gap (over center). Despite the Jets having both LBs menacingly standing next to the DT prior to the snap, the RB ran into the flat, leaving the C to get all three guys. He actually did a nice job of shoving the DT into one of the LBs, but the other got through.

Another was where the Jets again had extra guys on the LOS, this time over the RT. Rather than adjust the blocking, Hou kept the back on Schaub's left forcing him to come across at the snap to try and throw a block. Of course it was pretty pathetic.

On both of those plays, a simple alteration in the protection read and NY doesn't get there.

* Revis is very good, even better than I thought. On the highlights they showed, Andre Johnson never got more than a couple feet from him and Revis always had the right positioning to have the best play on the ball. As good as he was, I don't expect him to be as successful against Moss. Moss is a bit more savvy a receiver and he has more ways to make a play than Johnson. Additionally, from what I saw Hou isn't quite as creative with formations and presnap shifting as NE is. A 12 for 100+ might not be in the offing, but Moss will still get his.

* Houston's lack of weapons really showed. It appeared as if the entire passing game plan was "Johnson or check down", the other routes seemed mostly to be decoys. The Jets certainly didn't respect them, which is why a LB was always right there when the outlet made the catch. NE's mid range guys are vastly superior to what Houston was trotting out there, and I expect them to be a big factor.

* As the guys rambled on about how NE is going to struggle with NY and Ryan's pressure defense (two of three picked NY to win), I decided to check for myself how NE has fared against such a defense in the past. In 8 Brady-led Pats contests versus Pitt and Baltimore, NE has averaged 24.4 offensive points. I excluded defensive scores to make the number more applicable.

24.4 offensive points against some of the more fearsome defenses and pass rushes in the league. Other than against the 2007 Ravens, every one of those games was against a top 10 scoring defense.

Bring on the Jets. :cool3:

Very good analysis, my friend. Thanks for the offensive stats against a pressure defense as well, although I believe that the Jets will have a little more success at bringing pressure up the middle than the Steelers have in the past.

Nice report. I think Texans were without their #2 WR for that game.
First week games are tough. Not much solid film to study. I think
Houston was not very well prepared for the JETs.

Yes, thanks for posting this. Nice evaluation.

The Jets are indeed improved, but basing their performance against New England by examining their performance against Houston is more than a little skewed.

Again, I would point out that Houston made Sanchez look good. He's still a rookie, and regardless of how much he thinks of himself, he's going to be going up against a much better defense than what Houston could put on the field. :cool:

Just watched the NFLN game preview and it sparked a few thoughts.

* They went into some nice depth about the Jets' blitz with quite a few highlights. Of course they made it seem as if this was the first defense ever to run such a pressure defense, but pumping stuff up is their job. A couple highlights stood out to me for the opposite reason than the announcers intended. One was a rush where NY sent two LBs and a DT up the A gap (over center). Despite the Jets having both LBs menacingly standing next to the DT prior to the snap, the RB ran into the flat, leaving the C to get all three guys. He actually did a nice job of shoving the DT into one of the LBs, but the other got through.

Another was where the Jets again had extra guys on the LOS, this time over the RT. Rather than adjust the blocking, Hou kept the back on Schaub's left forcing him to come across at the snap to try and throw a block. Of course it was pretty pathetic.

On both of those plays, a simple alteration in the protection read and NY doesn't get there.

* Revis is very good, even better than I thought. On the highlights they showed, Andre Johnson never got more than a couple feet from him and Revis always had the right positioning to have the best play on the ball. As good as he was, I don't expect him to be as successful against Moss. Moss is a bit more savvy a receiver and he has more ways to make a play than Johnson. Additionally, from what I saw Hou isn't quite as creative with formations and presnap shifting as NE is. A 12 for 100+ might not be in the offing, but Moss will still get his.

* Houston's lack of weapons really showed. It appeared as if the entire passing game plan was "Johnson or check down", the other routes seemed mostly to be decoys. The Jets certainly didn't respect them, which is why a LB was always right there when the outlet made the catch. NE's mid range guys are vastly superior to what Houston was trotting out there, and I expect them to be a big factor.

* As the guys rambled on about how NE is going to struggle with NY and Ryan's pressure defense (two of three picked NY to win), I decided to check for myself how NE has fared against such a defense in the past. In 8 Brady-led Pats contests versus Pitt and Baltimore, NE has averaged 24.4 offensive points. I excluded defensive scores to make the number more applicable.

24.4 offensive points against some of the more fearsome defenses and pass rushes in the league. Other than against the 2007 Ravens, every one of those games was against a top 10 scoring defense.

Bring on the Jets. :cool3:

If it was alittle later in the season I would agree. Brady is still going to need a few more games to adjust to coming back from his injury.People just expect Brady to be 100 percent right from the start is amazing.

If it was alittle later in the season I would agree. Brady is still going to need a few more games to adjust to coming back from his injury.People just expect Brady to be 100 percent right from the start is amazing.

These numbers include games like the 2001 playoff where NE scored 10 offensive points, and the first 2004 Pitt game where the team was missing half the OL, Branch and Dillon.

Considering the talent on offense right now, there are more than enough "down" games in the mix to factor in a rusty Brady.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed analysis.

Great job breaking it down; better than any of the national writers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back