PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLN: Pats interested in Miles Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amendola, Gronk, and Edelman are all different from Austin insofar as their injuries, while too common, are not chronic or nagging - they're the products of bad luck as much as anything. Austin, on the other hand, has bad hamstrings and that will always nag him.

Bone brittleness is not considered chronic? Back operation, arm operations, leg operations....what bone group is left out?

....no way a sane BB sees Austin as a viable solution at WR

For all your griping about BB's ways, did you actually write this thinking it to be true, or are you yanking our chain to set up a future position? BB is the guy who brought in Austin Collie, after all.

another non deep threat. Come on aboard!

Deep threats are the most overrated things in football. He is an outside threat which is far more important.

Look at the final four teams in the playoffs last year. Not one of them really had a remotely consistent deep threat. The closest thing to a deep threat was Demaryius Thomas (who can be a legitimate deep threat), but he is hindered by Manning's inability to throw deep anymore.

Deep threats are only really worth their hype if they are elite deep threats. Otherwise, they are completely overrated.

Bone brittleness is not considered chronic? Back operation, arm operations, leg operations....what bone group is left out?

Are you saying he has osteoporosis doctor?

I have yet to see a source mention this. Speculation maybe but anything more than that i haven't seen or read. Putting that aside why would anyone be against more competition at WR? I wouldn't. Bring them all in let the best survive TC.

Before last year, Austin missed a total of 6 games in 4 years.
Even throwing out his best season in the other 3 he averaged 4.24 catches for 61 yards and .48 TDs per game.
That equals 68-976-8 over a full season.
Hard to believe he lost it all in one year, and certainly worth bringing him in to find out.

I'm not sure any 4th round pick who played so little in his rookie season is a lock to make a roster, especially if another WR beats him out.

That's the point.

We just spent a 4th round pick on him and it wouldn't make any sense to cut him after just 1 season. He was a rookie. Some teams 1st round WRs and RBs get "redshirted" their first year. Boyce showed some flashes in his opportunities too.

Obviously he's not a definite lock like Brady or Gronk, but barring an absolute horrid pre-season or training camp, it's highly likely he makes it.

McGinest had series of groin injuries during Pete Carrol's 'Elephant' tenor. He eventually beat that problem. We can take a chance on Austin. I would assume his contract would allow him to be cut.

That's the point.

We just spent a 4th round pick on him and it wouldn't make any sense to cut him after just 1 season. He was a rookie. Some teams 1st round WRs and RBs get "redshirted" their first year. Boyce showed some flashes in his opportunities too.

Obviously he's not a definite lock like Brady or Gronk, but barring an absolute horrid pre-season or training camp, it's highly likely he makes it.

Better player = Makes perfect sense

For all your griping about BB's ways, did you actually write this thinking it to be true, or are you yanking our chain to set up a future position? BB is the guy who brought in Austin Collie, after all.

Huh........geez I wonder why a damaged yet talented Collie was available MID SEASON? Might have something to do with ZERO teams wanting to commit a guaranteed contract by making the roster game #1.......So yes I absolutely believe BB wouldn't start the season with another chronic.

Huh........geez I wonder why a damaged yet talented Collie was available MID SEASON? Might have something to do with ZERO teams wanting to commit a guaranteed contract by making the roster game #1.......

And yet the Patriots signed him, which was my point.

So yes I absolutely believe BB wouldn't start the season with another chronic.

Did you believe that before he signed Amendola, too?

it cant hurt to bring him in at worst he gets beat out by the rookies but still pushes them in camp and at best he gives the pats a 70 rec 900 yard Brandon Lloyd type season IMO its a win win if they sign him

Huh........geez I wonder why a damaged yet talented Collie was available MID SEASON? Might have something to do with ZERO teams wanting to commit a guaranteed contract by making the roster game #1.......So yes I absolutely believe BB wouldn't start the season with another chronic.

So, you're saying don't pick up anyone who is available because there must be something wrong?

That's the point.

You are looking at it from the whats best for Josh Boyce viewpoint instead of whats best for the New England Patriots.

Deep threats are the most overrated things in football. He is an outside threat which is far more important.

Deep threats are only really worth their hype if they are elite deep threats. Otherwise, they are completely overrated.

Yes.

In 2012 on passes thrown 1-20 yards: 57 rec 784 yards 3 TD.
In 2011 38 rec 478 6 TD (in 10 Games Played)
In 2010 62 rec 772 yards 3 TD
In 2009 60 rec 991 yards 6 TD

Not a deep threat but an outside threat that is solid in the area that Brady excels at. He also proved that he can consistently go up and get the ball which is always a plus.

A faster Brandon Lloyd with better hands

Would be a good look if he comes cheap

Miles "hamstring" Austin!

Amazing how the media can create a firestorm merely by "suggesting" that the Pats "may" be interested in a WR :rolleyes: Just like some fans here as so quick to make every available WR better than what we have. Its a league wide monomania concerning WR's. It used to frustrate me to no end. Now I'm coming to terms with it.

If you have a great QB, then have a Great player at ANY other position will have more impact on the team than a so called great WR. About the only time having a "great WR" becomes critical to your team is if you DON'T have a great QB.

I want to thank Chip Kelley for showing us how LITTLE impact losing a "great WR" actually is in the great scheme of things, by cutting his best WR for nothing. Anyone want to bet the Eagles still aren't one of the better offenses in 2014, without Jackson? Didn't anyone notice that even though we lost the greatest slot receiver in NFL history, his $750,000, much maligned replacement out produced him by almost 30 catches and 300 yds. :eek: OMG I'm ranting, aren't I. ;)

Disclaimer: YES, I would much rather if our current WR's were AJ Green, and Julio Jones.
NO, I would not be happy if I had to pay each of them over $10MM/yr. Brown, Branch and Givens were all rather average in physical talent, but they were all smart, dependable route runners with good hands....and they have 7 superbowl rings between them. That's 7 more than Bryant, Green, Jones, Fitzgerald, AJohnson, CJohnson, and even the great Randy Moss have combined.

I don't mean to demean the great physical talents of these great WR's. I only point it out to make my point, which is, you don't need great WR's to win in this league. But you do need good, dependable, and smart ones. And I think, right now, the Pats have to potential to have those qualities on their team..... IF the last year's rookies progress as we hope they will.

Than being said, I'm sure the Pats are going to start camp with about 12-15 WR's on the roster, so we ARE going to sign some vet FA's eventually.

I hope you realize an ACL isn't a bone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey