Welcome to PatsFans.com

NFLN: Pats interested in Miles Austin

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Tunescribe, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +666 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

Just saw a blurb on this. He'd seem kind of redundant considering what we already have. But, he might come cheap.
  2. Froob

Froob Rookie

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -3

#32 Jersey

This I would like very much. He's a good player when healthy. Fast and a good route runner (imo from what I've seen).
  3. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +76 / 4 / -0

For vet min, he can't hurt.

Well, other than stealing reps from youngsters on the squad with more potential. So, I retract my statement.
  4. manxman2601

manxman2601 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +384 / 7 / -1

#24 Jersey

Desean Jackson smokescreen ;)
  5. chasa

chasa Rookie

Ratings:
    +268 / 9 / -2

#87 Jersey

not unless hes willing to play for a couple of bags of frito's.

the rest of our non draft cap should be spent on the lines.
  6. Sicilian

Sicilian On the Roster

Ratings:
    +352 / 1 / -2

Wouldn't mind adding him to the mix for cheap dollars. Assuming 5 WR spots, with 4 going to Edelman, Amendola, Lafell, and Dobson, I'd wouldn't be all that disappointed if Austin beat out Boyce and Thompkins... assuming it was because he played well, and not because they were absolute train wrecks, although even then it would be nice to have the extra option.
  7. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +721 / 5 / -3

Austin, if he can regain his health, is a perfect fit for the Patriots system. Very good route runner. Plays outside. Is a big YAC guy. Seems pretty intelligent.

His big question mark is his health at this point. He returns to his form of a couple of years ago and he could easily be 1,000 to 1,200 yard receiver in this offense. But the question is whether he can return to that form (at least over an entire season).
  8. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +607 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

All I find in the news is Jeff Howe speculating the Pats might want a Miles Austin "type."

That's on twitter.
  9. TBR

TBR Rookie

Ratings:
    +52 / 10 / -1

#12 Jersey

For the last time, Boyce is NOT going to be cut.
  10. Sicilian

Sicilian On the Roster

Ratings:
    +352 / 1 / -2

I'm not sure any 4th round pick who played so little in his rookie season is a lock to make a roster, especially if another WR beats him out.
  11. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,372 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

His hamstrings are made of linguine so we can all expect him to get injured at some point this year if it happens, but he's solid when healthy.
  12. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +607 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

I've seen rumors of what Howe said, that he didn't say, as far as I can tell.

13. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +165 / 22 / -10

#18 Jersey

Little different from adding Anthony Gonzalez, Donte Stallworth, Michael Jenkins, etc. Austin's a bigger name than any of those guys but hasn't really been Miles Austin for awhile now, and with chronic hamstring problems it seems unlikely that he ever will be again.
  14. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +256 / 4 / -1

#12 Jersey

Well hey, once he and Amendola get hurt one can be salvaged for parts to fix the other. Bulletproof.

To be blunt, I just don't see how he gets you closer to the goal of having a SB-level offense in December-February. He's an upgrade in September, and I'm perfectly okay with taking on health risks, but he's to the point now where you pretty much know he's going down. The only way this makes sense to me is to help keep the offense in stride in the event that Dobson misses some of the early part of the season with his foot injury. The assumption there being that, by the time Austin gets hurt, Dobson should be hopefully ready to come back.
  15. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +182 / 14 / -9

#12 Jersey

He had a very solid 2012 season with 900+ yards. In our offense he could easily get over 1000.
  16. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 7 / -16

#87 Jersey

another non deep threat. Come on aboard!
  17. Nitro

Nitro Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#22 Jersey

Pretty sure we already have our 'nursing injuries while lounging on the bench' wr in ammendola. Don't want to dedicate to many spots to the terminally injured. You do have to have a couple people that can take the field.
  18. borg

borg Rookie

Ratings:
    +127 / 6 / -12

Miles Austin's 2009 was spectacular....out of no where......a dominant force. Reminds me of Victor Cruz's special rookie season. That being said, Miles Austin is a shell of who he was 4 years ago. The eye test says he looks slow, out of shape/semi injured the past few years and Dallas grew frustrated over his ability to stay on the field.
    Could he be the yearly veteran WR signing that BB cuts in August......sure why not....but with perpetual gimps like Gronk, DA, and JE (2013 excluded)....no way a sane BB sees Austin as a viable solution at WR
  19. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +165 / 22 / -10

#18 Jersey

Amendola, Gronk, and Edelman are all different from Austin insofar as their injuries, while too common, are not chronic or nagging - they're the products of bad luck as much as anything. Austin, on the other hand, has bad hamstrings and that will always nag him.
  20. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +279 / 18 / -2

Welcome aboard. Seriously, Belichick will likely add a couple of more wide receivers to compete in camp, and as insurance in case of injury. After all, LeFell is the only wide receiver that isn't coming back from injuries.