PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLN: Jason Taylor doesn't envision being a Dolphin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Jason Taylor

It is simply too expensive for what we get.
We would be spending a ton of moeny for the 'right' to play Adalius Thomas out of position,

Belichick signed him to play ILB. He started there in camp and until Colvin went down. I don't think Belichick views him as being out of position.

He was quite good at ILB, despite the learning curve.

Listen, folks, I apologize if I'm somehow crossing a line, but pretty much ALL of this thread is ridiculous. We're not getting Jason Taylor. If we do, I'll be thrilled. It just seems like a crazy idea. The dolphins are coming off having just traded us Welker and having it BLOW UP IN THEIR FACE.

Now they're going to deal us Jason Taylor, an even more dominant player - and for a 3rd and a 5th? Pardon the Hell out of me if I think this is NUTS to even be discussing.

Let me ask you this. What kindof FA draft compensation is NE getting for Asante Samuel? A 4th maybe? Gotta be a 4th or higher, or atleast as high a compensation pick is given to teams this year. We're getting atleast that extra draft pick in the way of offseason FA loss compensation. Which is not tradeable. With that in mind, would it be a horrendous move for NE to move a 2nd (an extremely late 2nd) and say, a 6th or a 5th to add Taylor? Noone's saying the 3rd and 5th are locks to be the bait. It'd be nice. But that's not in stone. But you wouldnt want to gamble that late 2nd and another fairly worthless pick away to add a stud playmaker like Taylor if the money were right? We do have 2 3rd rounders, one of which is only a few picks later than that 2nd rounder. With of course the money again being 'right'. Leader. Playmaker. Sack artist. Im letting go of that 2nd rounder and whatever else all day. IF the money were right.

would it be a horrendous move for NE to move a 2nd (an extremely late 2nd) and say, a 6th or a 5th to add Taylor? Noone's saying the 3rd and 5th are locks to be the bait. It'd be nice. But that's not in stone. But you wouldnt want to gamble that late 2nd and another fairly worthless pick away to add a stud playmaker like Taylor if the money were right? We do have 2 3rd rounders, one of which is only a few picks later than that 2nd rounder. With of course the money again being 'right'. Leader. Playmaker. Sack artist. Im letting go of that 2nd rounder and whatever else all day. IF the money were right.

I have never argued that the PATRIOTS shouldn't do it. It's a no-brainer. They should. But why would Miami voluntarily trade their most dominant player to the Patriots, ESPECIALLY given they just got burned dealing with New England on a lesser player (and that they were forced to by the initial RFA offer)?

I would LOVE to get Jason Taylor for a 2nd and junk. Even a 2nd and 3rd. The Dolphins will not do it. Ever. They won't. Period. I don't know how to make this clearer.

Last edited:

Belichick signed him to play ILB. He started there in camp and until Colvin went down. I don't think Belichick views him as being out of position.

I agree, he was playing ILB for most of the season and he pretty effective.

I have never argued that the PATRIOTS shouldn't do it. It's a no-brainer. They should. But why would Miami voluntarily trade their most dominant player to the Patriots, ESPECIALLY given they just got burned dealing with New England on a lesser player (and that they were forced to by the initial RFA offer)?

I would LOVE to get Jason Taylor for a 2nd and junk. Even a 2nd and 3rd. The Dolphins will not do it. Ever. They won't. Period. I don't know how to make this clearer.

I can live with that. I know its a long shot of happening. I just dont think Parcells is going to NOT make a deal just because its New England. I really think he's a little more secure with himself to let that get in the way of him helping that team. Because its exaclty that kindof 'running scared' or worrying about the 'measuring stick' kindof thinking that ultimately results in 1-win seasons.

I predict, accurately, that threads like this and posts like this exemplify how far patsfans.com has fallen. A 3rd and a 5th? Come on, people, please. This is asinine.

What is wrong with my post? Taylor, while being very productive, is a nearly 34 year old DE that WANTS out of Miami and the Pats and the rest of the NFL knows this. The league also knows that Parcells would love the cap space and wants to put his own stamp on the team. That being said, where is the leverage that Miami has?

It is no secret that Taylor wants to play in NE with Brady. Also, the Oak 3rd is basically a late 2nd rd'er. Remember, we got an All-PRO wr for a 4th because he wanted out of a bad situation and his team had no leverage.

All good points. I think it is scary because we think of blitz situations with 3 great pass rushers on the field at one time
This is what AquaVelva said last year when the Dolphins got Porter. They had three great pass rushers and would dominate the AFCE.

That didn't work out well.

Going for Taylor is like ProBowl voting when you vote for a guy because he was so good the last few years, missing the fact that is is over the hill.

Over the hill is okay, there is always room for role players, but only for cheap contracts, and why in the world would we make Taylor our highet paid LB?

It's nuts!

What is wrong with my post? Taylor, while being very productive, is a nearly 34 year old DE that WANTS out of Miami and the Pats and the rest of the NFL knows this. The league also knows that Parcells would love the cap space and wants to put his own stamp on the team. That being said, where is the leverage that Miami has?

It is no secret that Taylor wants to play in NE with Brady. Also, the Oak 3rd is basically a late 2nd rd'er. Remember, we got an All-PRO wr for a 4th because he wanted out of a bad situation and his team had no leverage.

I just think it's beyond common sense that Miami would have NO REASON whatsoever to deal a dominant player, even one who's 34 and slowing down, inside the division. Why would they do that???

I just think it's beyond common sense that Miami would have NO REASON whatsoever to deal a dominant player, even one who's 34 and slowing down, inside the division. Why would they do that???

What did New England do with Bledsoe, btw? Who'd they trade him to again? Why would they have done that? He'd led them to the Superbowl in that championship game win against Pittsburgh. He could obviously still play. He wanted out, wanted to play, and we dealt him to Buffalo because they were willing to pony up the pick. Wasnt that crazy, too? A division rival? Who does that? People that arent worried about the other team. New England respected Bledsoe, knew what he meant to this organization, and accomodated his request with a good trade to a place he was familiar with and where he'd start. They took their pick and ran with it, and never looked back. They werent worried about getting burned. Parcells will be wiling to do the same if a deal here with NE comes up.

Parcells also knows that with regards to the Welker deal, its not that Miami got burned. They got a 2nd round pick and some change. That's a good deal. That pick worked better for NE because, well, theyre New England. they have Tom Brady and an offense, and could actually use the guy properly. He's not thinking about that Welker trade one bit.

1. draft picks- there will be some talent there at 69
2. cap space
3. treat a veteran who has served the franchise well with respect, while also taking care of the team.

Taylor wants to play for a winner and the choices will be slim for teams that can win AND have the cap space. Taylor's desire to play with Tommy will win out.

I'm surprised at the amount of forum members who would trade

multiple 2008 draft picks for a player who will be 34 years old when

the season starts. This would assure that the 2008 season would

be the second season in a row that very few draft picks made the

Patriots.

After 2009, 17 players become UFAs including 8 starters. Where

are the young replacements coming from if all the draft picks

have been squandered on short term players.

I'm surprised at the amount of forum members who would trade

multiple 2008 draft picks for a player who will be 34 years old when

the season starts. This would assure that the 2008 season would

be the second season in a row that very few draft picks made the

Patriots.

After 2009, 17 players become UFAs including 8 starters. Where

are the young replacements coming from if all the draft picks

have been squandered on short term players.

My worst case scenario, thinking from the Pats' fans perspective would involve giving up a 2nd and 5th rounder. Now, not that any 2nd round picks are throw away picks, but its 1 of 6 picks in the first 4 rounds I expect the Pats to have, because I think theyre getting a 4th rounder in FA compensation for losing Samuel. 1 of 6. That would still leave them with 5 other picks, and 3 other 1st day picks. And as its been pointed out, that 2nd rounder is the 62nd, and but we'd still have Oakland's 3rd rounder which is the 69th as well as our own 3rd rounder.

Its just not every year you get a chance to add a Randy Moss or a Jason Taylor type player. This is a veteran team making a push for a 4th ring. I dont worry about the future too much with this team, because 1) I feel like we're in pretty safe hands with the FO and Brady still looking to play 5 or 6 more years, but 2) youve gotta live in the moment to a degree. Seize it while its within reach.

Ding! Ding! Ding!
My thoughts exactly.

I entirely disagree. Belichick signed him to play OLB, but used him at ILB last year while Colvin and Vrabel were healthy.

Having watched him down here (way too much unfortunately) for 8 years, this dude is a super stud, with an amazing motor who is playing 100% on every single down, including dropping into pass coverage very often. He's barely not a 3-4 olb. He is probably still the 2nd best OLB in the AFC on the worst team, with nobody to help him out, and that's in run and pass, at the line, behind it, or in coverage. He is only 34 and does not have an injury history. He's a super stud. With that said, there's no reason to pay him even the "fair" amount we'd have to pay him (and for him) at this point - when we could draft young and try to get some youth. Both would be 1st year into a defense regardless of football IQ, so why not do it with a cheaper draft pick that you can sign to a rookie contract to have an impact for a longer period of time before he moves or resigns for more $. IMO in this situation, he costs the FO too much for it to make sense no matter that he's one of the best I've ever seen at the position all around that I remember (like Bruce Smith as a rusher and run stopper but 20+ lbs lighter and agile!). Even if Miami wanted to do the deal, which I agree Parcells might, I don't think our FO wants to sacrifice what this guy costs overall. I suspect this is why we're hearing a lot more about signing a lot of 1-2M guys and not big names coming to town this year after Randy...

edited to ad, I also think the FO and BB love AD at ILB and I think we're a stronger team with him there and a good Rosie-esque OLB rushing so to me that isn't a factor in the decision - I think we're excellent at D with him at ILB as OLB if not more-so.

Last edited:

I entirely disagree. Belichick signed him to play OLB, but used him at ILB last year while Colvin and Vrabel were healthy.

That makes no sense. You don't go into the year with a highly paid free agent slated to play somewhere because 2 starters are injured. I don't know where you get your opinion from but it's backwards.

I went to mini camps and watched him coach Thomas. He was his personal coach; he shadowed him and was standing behind him for almost every rep. He was being groomed to be an ILB; but unlike the ILBs he had, Thomas was an ILB that could both cover ground in the pass game and stuff the run. You saw the freakish plays he made like at ILB the INT for 6 against San Diego. Whay would Belichick waste his time to be a fill in?

What did New England do with Bledsoe, btw? Who'd they trade him to again? Why would they have done that? He'd led them to the Superbowl in that championship game win against Pittsburgh. He could obviously still play. He wanted out, wanted to play, and we dealt him to Buffalo because they were willing to pony up the pick. Wasnt that crazy, too? A division rival? Who does that?

You can't seriously be this stupid. Honestly. You don't know the difference between those scenarios? HOPELESS. Pathetic.

Thanks for the white flag.

Okay, I quit. You guys are right. The dolphins DO think they should trade their best player to the team that keeps winning its division - a team who struggles very little against Miami except for, oh yeah, JASON TAYLOR. We'll get him for a 2nd and a 5th - so Miami can face him against THEIR crap OL for the next couple years.

GREAT CALL. I'm chastened.

You can't seriously be this stupid. Honestly. You don't know the difference between those scenarios? HOPELESS. Pathetic.

Thanks for the white flag.

Completely take back the props I extended to you earlier, you punk. You'll get zero respect here from this lifer. good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back