PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLN/Florio/Kirwan: Pats looking at Pittsburgh OLB Haggans [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

b72s

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Stated last night they could see steelers LB Haggan heading to us for reasonable $$$$.

I think it would be a good fit and could explain Rosie cut. Thoughts?

Re: NFL Ntwk/ Florio/Kirwan Pitt LB Haggan?

Stated last night they could see steelers LB Haggan heading to us for reasonable $$$$.

I think it would be a good fit and could explain Rosie cut. Thoughts?

Pace is visiting the tuna today according to PFT...

Something tells me that we are going to sign (Haggans, Pace or even Briggs), yes Briggs, I think the Pats are going to make a play for him.

Something tells me that we are going to sign (Haggans, Pace or even Briggs), yes Briggs, I think the Pats are going to make a play for him.

That means we have no Samual, Moss, Stallworth,Gay or Wilson.. if we sign Briggs ,which I would like but doubt..

I think Haggan would be a nice little pickup. We'd have to do more than that, but I think he would be a good fit. He has expereince in a solid 3-4 and wouldn't be another conversion project.

Pace is visiting the tuna today according to PFT...

As much as it pains me to say it, me thinks that Parcells will turn the Fish into a much improved team this year and the Jets will now take up residence in the AFC East basement. He'll sign some decent FA's and most likely turn the #1 pick into a bankroll of future picks.:mad:

That means we have no Samual, Moss, Stallworth,Gay or Wilson.. if we sign Briggs ,which I would like but doubt..

Sean, 3 of those 4 guys aren't coming back anyway, why would you even mention them. I could see the Pats with their available cap space working in a long term deal for Briggs (6-7 years) and a 3 year deal for Randy very easily.

Patriots believed to be pursuing Clark Haggans LB (Steelers)

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=NE

Free agent LB Clark Haggans is considered a possibility for the Giants at weak-side linebacker, according to the Newark Star-Ledger.

Haggans has been a right outside linebacker in Pittsburgh's 3-4 since 2000. He's a pressure player, so DC Steve Spagnuolo could probably make him work. The Patriots and Browns are also believed to be pursuing Haggans.

Re: Patriots believed to be pursuing Clark Haggans LB (Steelers)

My personal reaction - "meh".

Whoops my mistake i could have sworn i didnt see another topic on this.

Haggans is not an impact player, at all.

People said that about Vrabel. Besides, Haggans would replace Alexander in the 5-man rotation, a bit of an upgrade.

Haggans is not an impact player, at all.

I think he's a decent option, but I hope he wouldn't be Rosie's replacement. His age (31) isn't a big deal for the Patriots (would actually be one of their younger LB's), but his play/production dropped off a little in 2007. Really, he's only on the market because the Steelers replaced him with better LB's, as he's on the decline (he's lost some of his fluidness, and isn't great on special teams anymore).

Also, 243lbs is kind of light for a 6'4" LB, who's also 31 years old. If they were to sign him, and bring in a top level rookie (Chris Long, Gholston, Groves), then I could see it working. I'd like to see them draft Goff at ILB, and think about signing Victor Hobson, too. But, we'll see.

Last edited:
People said that about Vrabel. Besides, Haggans would replace Alexander in the 5-man rotation, a bit of an upgrade.

Haggans couldn't carry Vrabel's jock. This isn't a benchwarmer coming into his own, but a guy who was losing his job in Pitt due to ineffectiveness.

Haggans couldn't carry Vrabel's jock. This isn't a benchwarmer coming into his own, but a guy who was losing his job in Pitt due to ineffectiveness.

It wasn't so much ineffectiveness as it was the development of LaMarr Woodley who is 23 and a pretty good player.

Exactly. On that note, it's obvious that Bobby Carpenter doesn't fit Wade Phillips upfield attacking 1 gap 3-4, and I doub't he'll be able pass some of their other LB's on the depth chart (they are stacked with talent at that position). He was very good on special teams in 2007 though, and I believe he could still be a good LB in the Patriots 2 gap system. So, I wonder if the Cowboys would take a 3rd or 4th rounder for him? He's not worth much to their current system, and they would be getting his first round contract off their hands. Also, the Patriots wouldn't have a ton invested in him, so if he doesn't work out you could cut him.

It wasn't so much ineffectiveness as it was the development of LaMarr Woodley who is 23 and a pretty good player.

I absolutely loved LaMarr Woodley coming out of Michigan last year. They've got some very good young LB's (Harrison, Woodley, Timmons, and others).

Another Monty Beisal ... oh no :confused:

I absolutely loved LaMarr Woodley coming out of Michigan last year. They've got some very good young LB's (Harrison, Woodley, Timmons, and others).

Thats what happens when you draft LBs... Haggans is a stiff but he is likely an improvement over Woods. More depth not a terrible move. It gives the team some flexibility in the draft, if the LBs look OK then they can focus more on filling the wholes at CB.

Moss is the key, he is the biggest impact FA. Losing him really hurts the offense and leaves holes at CB, WR and LB depth. Signing Moss is the only offseason move that really matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes