PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLE observations: Week 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I discussed Todd Mortenson in Malaysia's depth chart thread. http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=35765

Nick Steitz came in for one series in the 3rd quarter. He was his usual dominating self and even had his first successful cut block! Unfortunately, he was beaten for a sack on a stunt play in the red zone and it looks like the coach benched him for the rest of the game.

Rich Musinski had two nice fully extended, finger tip grabs. The first one was knocked away as he started to pull it in by a great defensive play. But the second fired up the Thunder to actually drive down the field and score. Rich was the go to guy when they needed to make something happen, good defense keying on him made it tough, but I liked what I saw. He also had a nice block on a KR. His college QB had commented that his blocking had improved a great deal.

Ray Ventrone was his usual run stuffing self, right from the first play. He did miss a couple tackles, one on a KR and one when his team mates all piled into the TE/FB he was tackling and held him up after Ray tripped him.

Antwan Spann dropped another int in the 1st quarter when he jumped a poor play call route in the flat, he was smelling TD. Hamburg never challenged him again, Brock Berlin played the final 3 quarters for them and threw everything to the other side, except a couple attempts when Spann was sitting down and his back-up was in. This kid is going to compete in TC.

Zuriel Smith is still on IR for a knee injury, he had a shot at the roster as a PR/KR. Earl Charles supposedly came off the IR list a few weeks back, but hasn't played yet that I've seen. I still need to watch the Amsterdam game and see what Jeff Roehl got up to.

Thanks for the Update.

From my limited viewings of Spann, I've gotta agree that he stands a good chance of making the 53.

These are fascinating and informative vignettes you give us, Box.

At the close of Europe's season ... i hope you'll assemble and distill for us
your overall impressions of our eight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are all of these NFLE games on the NFL Network (no need to recite my story for the 800th time!)? Or can I catch them on NBC/ABC/Fox?

Nice analysis, Box. Even in the offseason, you're exercising your skills, to the benefit of the rest of us. You should certainly win that reserved space in the parking lot. :)

pats1 said:
Are all of these NFLE games on the NFL Network (no need to recite my story for the 800th time!)? Or can I catch them on NBC/ABC/Fox?

i have never seen them on any other channel other than NFL network.

pats1 said:
I don't think Fox picked up any the games this year. DirecTV Mike, they charge like a monopoly, but they serve my football addiction.

Spann has played better..had a pretty big time hit Saturday...I MIGHT think the jump to the 53 may be a bit too fast..but he will be in the competition....certainly close to the haed of the NFLE players the Pats had there...

Jeff Roehl continues to start at Left Tackle for Amsterdam, looks like he'll be playing in the World Bowl. Jeff had a solid game, looking good on both pass and run blocking, he moved well pulling in Amsterdam's more complicated blocking scheme and also got to the second level well. The only bad spot was a holding call on the last offensive play of the game when he shaded the DE too far inside allowing him to get by outside on a direct line for the QB - nice take down to save his QB though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey