PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLDraftScout.com Mock: Jake Locker at #17?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Jesus... talk about somebody taking too much from that playoff loss. I know Brady was crap, but still, this is ludicrous after the new deal Tom just got.

And FYI, NFLDraftScout and Rob Rang are usually one of the better sources for draft insights (even got a deal with CBS to integrate their site into CBS').

Jake Locker, QB, Washington: Clearly Tom Brady remains on top of his game, but the Patriots do as good of a job of re-stocking the shelves as any team in the league and with three picks in the top 33, they have the option of doing just that. Bill Belichick was thought to be very high on Tim Tebow and may develop a similar appreciation for Locker's versatility and intangibles. Locker would give the Patriots some versatility and Wildcat options early in his career and could be groomed to ultimately succeed Brady.

NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Not saying Locker's going to get picked but Brady is going to be 34 and it might not be a bad idea to do an Aaron Rodgers type investment in a young QB. Let a kid carry a clipboard and learn from the best while he's still at his best.

It's about 2 years too soon. Get a QB to groom in 2-3 years and we will be fine.

I think Ingram may fall to 17...just a hunch.

No, they need to get playmakers and win now. Not time for a new quarterback. Brian Hoyer actually looked pretty good vs the fins. Maybe if there's a decent guy in the 5th-7th round they could take a look.

A little too early to get Brady's replacement and I don't think Locker is very good.

I think anyone who actually read what they said realizes they are not dissing Brady.

A few quarterbacks who rode the pine for 3 years before taking over the starting job.

Philip Rivers
Aaron Rodgers

Not a bad thought, but I agree, a year or two too soon. Whoever they bring in better be mentally tough as nails. These are some huge shoes to fill. Take a look at the Dolphins, 49ers, Cowboys, and Broncos since their hall of fame quarterbacks retired.

It's about 2 years too soon. Get a QB to groom in 2-3 years and we will be fine.

I agree. I'm guessing BB stays for another decade or so (he's 60), and hopefully can get us going in the right direction in the 3-4 years after Brady retires.

I can absolutely see Locker being taken at #17!!!! Only it will definitely NOT be by Patriots! lol If he slides down to that spot, some team will trade up and help us restock picks for him. I agree with most of the other Pats fans on this issue, two or three years too early to start thinking of Brady's successor! That kid is probably in High School right now.

Rang continues to show that he doesn't have this job because he's good at it.

rather have one of those OT or DL

No way they spend a 1st round draft pick on someone who is just going to be a backup qb for at least 3 years and MIGHT takeover for Brady when we have glaring holes on both offense and defense.

It makes more sense to fix up our oline, dline and acquire an OLB and a new WR if possible to make this team superbowl contenders again.

Test out Hoyer more during games and see how he does. We know he has an arm, but can he read the defense, adjust plays at the line of scrimmage and handle pressure? If he can handle the offense replace Brady w/ Hoyer when his contract is up, if Hoyer isn't good enough try and pickup a QB in 2012.

No way they spend a 1st round draft pick on someone who is just going to be a backup qb for at least 3 years and MIGHT takeover for Brady when we have glaring holes on both offense and defense.

It makes more sense to fix up our oline, dline and acquire an OLB and a new WR if possible to make this team superbowl contenders again.

Test out Hoyer more during games and see how he does. We know he has an arm, but can he read the defense, adjust plays at the line of scrimmage and handle pressure? If he can handle the offense replace Brady w/ Hoyer when his contract is up, if Hoyer isn't good enough try and pickup a QB in 2012.

Only one problem with that: how do you get Hoyer to stay long enough?

Only one problem with that: how do you get Hoyer to stay long enough?

If he's worth it offer him a small contract. It's a long time to wait no doubt but he'll stepping in as QB for the best team in the NFL and he'll already know the offense about as good as anyone.

If he isn't smart enough to see the value in that he isn't smart enough for the job anyways and the problem resolves itself :D

Last edited:
What a horrible pick that would be, what with our needs at DE, RG, OLB, OC, and WR. On top of that, I watched a bit of Jake Locker this season. I think the team that ends up picking him is going to be pretty disappointed.

I thought maybe Colt McCoy would fall a little bit further and we could nab him to groom, but even if it happened... not likely after Kevin O'Connell. If this new Browns coach is as good at developing QBs as they say, then I think Cleveland might've found a real good QB of the future.

Last edited:
I actually like Hoyer no thanks on Locker we need an accurate QB which he is not.

In 08 they burned a 3rd on KO'C.

They really like Hoyer. We'll see how he progresses.

Keep in mind, Cassel rode the pine for 3 full seasons and it obviously paid off for him.

In 08 they burned a 3rd on KO'C.

They really like Hoyer. We'll see how he progresses.

Keep in mind, Cassel rode the pine for 3 full seasons and it obviously paid off for him.

Yeah, and all four years of Cassel cost them less than one year for the #17 pick would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes