Welcome to PatsFans.com

NFL Wild Card: Ravens at Chiefs

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by jmt57, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +832 / 1 / -3

With eleven days to go before the Pats play again, discussion about the Patriots is starting to dry up. The biggest news over the next 72 hours will be the first round of the 2010-11 NFL playoffs, so I'm going to go ahead and start four threads on each of those games now.

#5 Baltimore Ravens (12-4) at #4 Kansas City Chiefs (10-6)
    Sunday January 9 at 1:00 p.m. EST on CBS
    Jim Nantz and Phil Simms will be the announcers on TV
    Kevin Harlan, James Lofton and Tony Boselli will do the radio broadcast

Baltimore is currently favored by 3 points
    Over under is from 40½ to 41 points
    The Money Line has the Ravens -145 to -175; Chiefs +125 to +155

Edit: final results from poll on front page of PatsFans.com - 72% thought the Ravens would win, 28% thought the Chiefs would win.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  2. brdmaverick

brdmaverick In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +93 / 3 / -0

#32 Jersey

I can't help but root for the "Midwest Patriots" in this matchup. Cassel has had a tremendous year, and I'd like to see him have a good playoff performance to validate his season.

3. jmt57

Ratings:
    +832 / 1 / -3

Yeah, considering the number of former Patriots in the KC organization - all of whom left on good terms - and contrast that to the comments from Raven players before and after the last few meetings between the Pats and Baltimore - and I would guess the percentage of Pats fans rooting for one team or the other in this game will be overwhelmingly in favor of the Chiefs. The only reason I can think of for a Pats fan to be rooting for Baltimore is so that the Patriots can beat the Ravens again.

4. jmt57

Ratings:
    +832 / 1 / -3

Some views on the game from the Baltimore Sun:

Virtual Vensanity: Five things to watch: Ravens v. Chiefs - Matt Vensel - baltimoresun.com

Ravens won't lose to Chiefs Sunday - Mike Preston - baltimoresun.com

Mike Preston's matchups: Ravens vs. Chiefs in NFL wild-card playoff game - baltimoresun.com

Ravens Insider: Seeking to contain Bowe, Ravens wary of Chiefs' rushing attack - Edward Lee - baltimoresun.com

5. jmt57

Ratings:
    +832 / 1 / -3

Ravens fans cautiously optimistic, apprehensive - Jessica Anderson - baltimoresun.com

Ravens Insider: Carr: Ravens are "most talented team in NFL" - Jamison Hensley - baltimoresun.com
    Who is Prince Miller? Anybody know?

Will Ravens make Chiefs feel the rush? - Ken Murray - baltimoresun.com

6. Fahrenhype

Fahrenhype Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Would like to see the Chiefs step up but you consider the fact that the Ravens were only a close loss to the Steelers short of having the second best record in the league, and they are only the fifth seed because of tie breakers. The seeding and who has home field just doesn't tell the story for the opening round (same goes with the NFC).

Hopefully at the very least they put up a good fight and hit the Ravens with some of their own medicine. Would be funny if Thuggs aggravated his knee chasing after somebody taunting him about Brady. :rocker:

I think whacky seeding more or less dictates that the Pats will have to go through the #2A and #2B teams of the conference to get to Dallas (assign the letters as you see fit, it is a close call).

There is of course the slight chance that the Jets aren't complete and total frauds, but I'm not exactly sold on that notion either.

7. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 9 / -1

#61 Jersey

I don't care what the pundits say. I have this feeling that the Chiefs are gonna beat down the Ravens this weekend.

Baltimore has been skating on thin ice, and Kansas City is hot. I expect them to melt the ice and let the Ravens sink.

8. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

The Chiefs have had about as easy a cakewalk of teams to play as is possible,they have not beaten a team with a winning record other than the Chargers who have not even made the postseason.

This Chiefs team has met it's match this Sunday....Arrowhead or a back alley...it don't matter.....Ravens by a landslide.

9. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

you're going to be gladly eating those words come Sunday.

10. jmt57

Ratings:
    +832 / 1 / -3

Mellinger: Jamaal Charles is just getting warmed up - KansasCity.com

More from Priest Holmes about Jamaal Charles, the Chiefs, and other stuff | Don't Kill the Mellinger

Memories of last playoff win still fresh for former Chiefs - Kansas City Star

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  11. jcdavey

jcdavey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

as a charger fan who hates every other afc west rival, i actually think kc's got a good shot

they're awesome at home (unless it's vs the raiders...raiders have beaten them in arrowhead 5 years in a row now, even with jamarcus leaf) they play close to all non afc west competition, and they're very underrated

all they have to do is stop ray rice, have hali fluster flacco, and don't try picking on ed reed

and they'll be ok

12. jmt57

Ratings:
    +832 / 1 / -3

Thanks for the input JCD

What's going on in ChargerLand; how are people reacting to the season there?

13. jcdavey

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

panic as usual lol

14. Fahrenhype

Fahrenhype Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Could very well be the case and that would be entertaining as hell, but he isn't wrong about who the Chiefs have beaten. A lot of people look at how a team matched up in the regular season, and the Chiefs lost their one game against a fellow AFC playoff team. Same reason why I am not one of the people who are outraged at the Bucs not making the playoffs. They didn't really beat anybody of note until they played a team that didn't have much to gain from winning (unless anybody seriously thought the Panthers could beat the Falcons).

15. jmt57

Ratings:
    +832 / 1 / -3

That's what 31 fan bases do every year.

Is there more finger pointing at Norv or at AJ?

16. jcdavey

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

norv, but aj's getting his share

i'm one of the few pointing the finger at the city of san diego lol

we're more cursed than the red sox (were) and cubs combined

17. TheBostonStraggler

TheBostonStraggler In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +351 / 2 / -1

The Chiefs victories were against almost no team of stature. TB's victories were against even less impressive opponents. Those are indisputable facts.

I'd like the Chiefs to beat the Ravens for the same reason I want the Jets to knock off the Colts. It makes the road to Dallas seemingly easier for the Patriots. However, I wouldn't put a nickel on the Chiefs to beat the Ravens. I think the Jets have a better shot in their game against the Colts.......

18. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,094 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

I don't see how. The Chiefs have a pretty good amount of internal strife between the two OC's (Haley and Weis). On top of that, I really don't see how their O-Line is going to be capable of blocking the Ravens pass rush. Furthermore, I don't see how they're going to be able to run the ball against the Ravens like they have against everyone this year. I really want the Chiefs to win, but I'm not expecting it at all.

19. naF staP

naF staP Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I'm cheering for the Chiefs in this one but think at this stage of the season the chiefs are more dangerous then the Ravens. Flaco has looked terrible lately and having played the Ravens a bunch we know what to expect with them.

20. Its_The_Patriots

Its_The_Patriots Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

It's a game of matchups, and if the Chiefs OL can give Cassel some time, then they definitely have a shot at winning this game.

I will be pulling for the Chiefs big time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.