PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Wild Card: Jets at Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
With eleven days to go before the Pats play again, discussion about the Patriots is starting to dry up. The biggest news over the next 72 hours will be the first round of the 2010-11 NFL playoffs, so I'm going to go ahead and start four threads on each of those games now.

#6 New York Jets (11-5) at #3 Indianapolis Colts (10-6)
Saturday January 8 at 8:00 p.m. EST on NBC
Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth will be the announcers
Andrea Kremer will be the sideline reporter
Dave Sims and Boomer Esiason will do the radio broadcast

Indianapolis is currently favored by 2½ to 3 points
Over under is 44½ points
The Money Line has the Jets +112 to +120; Colts -132 to -140

Edit: Final tally from poll on front page of PatsFans.com - 67% thought the Colts would win, 33% thought the Jets would win.

Last edited:
Will Woody start vs. Indy? - Jets Blog - ESPN New York

All signs point to Damien Woody starting at right tackle on Saturday against the Colts, but Rex Ryan stopped short of naming Woody as his starter on Thursday.

“He’s playing (but) we’re still rotating him and Wayne (Hunter) with the starting group," Ryan said of Woody, who has missed the last three weeks due to an MCL injury. "I’ll refer to (offensive line coach) Bill Callahan on that and we’ll go with who we think is the best guy.”

Woody hasn't played since undergoing arthroscopic surgery to repair the MCL he injured against the Texans on Nov. 21. He practiced on a limited basis on Thursday, the Jets final full day of work before they fly to Indianapolis on Friday afternoon.

Wayne Hunter said on Thursday that he plans to back up Woody and left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson. Hunter started in place of Woody during his three-game absence. Outside of the Texans game, in which he struggled against Mario Williams (three sacks), Hunter has performed well.

Right tackle will be a key position against the Colts because that’s who Colts’ defensive end Robert Mathis usually lines up across from.

Injury report Thursday - Jets Blog - ESPN New York

Jets injury report

Limited in practice
S James Ihedigbo (knee/ankle)
DL Sione Pouha (back)
DL Trevor Pryce (hip)
CB Darrelle Revis (hamstring)
QB Mark Sanchez (right shoulder)
LB Bryan Thomas (ankle)
T Damien Woody (knee)

Full
CB Antonio Cromartie (groin)
DL Shaun Ellis (back)
WR Santonio Holmes (quad)
C Nick Mangold (shoulder)
OL Matt Slauson (thumb)
DB Eric Smith (concussion)
OL Robert Turner (thumb)

Colts injury report

Did not participate in practice
DB Al Afalava (ankle)
OT Ryan Diem (back)
DB Kelvin Hayden (neck)
DB Mike Newton (hamstring)
RB Dominic Rhodes (hip)
OG Jamey Richard (concussion)
LB Clint Session (elbow)

Limited participation
DT Antonio Johnson (chest)
WR Reggie Wayne (knee)

Full
DE Dwight Freeney (not injury related)
DE Robert Mathis (not injury related)
DT Dan Muir (chest)

So we'll either see that fat slob cry at the presser after the game, or see the pink forehead choke artist throw his team under the bus when he's one and done..AGAIN.

Sounds good.

Hadn't thought of it in these terms before; if Ryan can't beat Manning now, will he ever beat him?

Kravitz: If Jets' Ryan can't beat Manning's Colts this week, when will he? | The Indianapolis Star | IndyStar.com

It's one of the reasons the Jets have every right to feel good -- or at least better -- about this rematch: They've added to their defense while the Colts have lost tight end Dallas Clark and wide receiver Austin Collie, two more guys on Ryan's personal hit list after they scorched him in the 2006 and the 2009 playoff games, respectively.

"Are they (the Colts) showing signs of being more vulnerable," Ryan told New York reporters Tuesday. "I think they are."

Remember, with Reggie Wayne being covered by Darrelle Revis in last year's AFC title game, 22 of Manning's 26 completions went to Pierre Garcon, Collie and Clark. That was against the likes of Donald Strickland, Drew Coleman and Dwight Lowery.

Now enter Cromartie, who likely will deal with Garcon and has four interceptions against Manning in four games.

Who's the third option on the outside? Blair White?

Kravitz continues - and Ryan shows he seems to be more focused on the past than on the present:

On paper, this would seem like a far more favorable matchup for Ryan than the one he had last year. But, then, he thought he had his nemesis beaten in 2006, even kept Manning and the offense out of the end zone. But led by the defense, the running game and some Manning moments, the Colts won 15-6. And Ryan was left to walk off the field, again, shaking his head and muttering unmentionable things.

"There was one play in '06, we had to get the ball back and they had a key third down," Ryan recalled of a third-and-5 at the Ravens 45 with 3:57 left in a 12-6 game.

"It's impossible to make the (14-yard) throw he needs to make to Dallas Clark to get that first down. The coverage by (then-Ravens corner) Corey Ivy was ridiculous. We were all over it, we thought we had the route, we got exactly what we wanted; it's not possible to make that throw -- and he made it."

So yeah, it's personal.

Then Ryan blatantly tries to use the media to rally his team with his next comment. Apparently in his mind someone else trying to win is the equivalent of 'trying to stick it to him'. It's also interesting to note that Ryan once again uses the word "me" rather than "us" or "the Jets".

"Peyton's going to try and stick it to me as much as he can and that's how he should do it," Ryan said.

"I know he doesn't feel sorry for me one iota. I have a ton of respect for him, but to say I want to beat him worse than anybody in the league, that's probably true."

If Ryan can't do it this time, buoyed by the addition of Cromartie and faced with a depleted Indianapolis team, he probably never will.

Hadn't thought of it in these terms before; if Ryan can't beat Manning now, will he ever beat him?

Kravitz: If Jets' Ryan can't beat Manning's Colts this week, when will he? | The Indianapolis Star | IndyStar.com

Kravitz continues - and Ryan shows he seems to be more focused on the past than on the present:

Then Ryan blatantly tries to use the media to rally his team with his next comment. Apparently in his mind someone else trying to win is the equivalent of 'trying to stick it to him'. It's also interesting to note that Ryan once again uses the word "me" rather than "us" or "the Jets".

The Jets are no better this year than they were last year.

Toughest game of the 4 to figure out: Just as good a chance winning a bet on this game as betting red or black on the craps table.

All it takes is for one sack with Sanchez driven into the ground on his hurt shoulder, and the JETS season is toast.

Here's the real deal: Rex is giving all these pressers and all this thud & blunder speechifying for one reason, and one reason only: To lay in a batch of excuses for when they flame out against the Colts.

Lord knows I hate to see goober and that bunch of mid-western inbred troglodytes win, but I hate the JETS even more. I'd gladly root for both teams to lose if it were possible, but I'm predicting Indy pulls one out in the final seconds by a single point.

Hopefully, both teams will be so beat up that neither will pose a threat to anyone next season, let alone the playoffs.

Thought this could use a bump today.

I'm looking forward to relaxing while watching this game knowing regardless of the outcome, there are some positives.

But this Colt's story simply amazed me.................is there any way, short of spreading anthrax on the stadium seating in Gillette, that a PO game would not be sold out 3 days before? I'm even talking the pre-Kraft years on aluminum benches.

The Indianapolis Colts are pulling out all the stops in an effort to ensure that Saturday's playoff showdown with the New York Jets won't be blacked out on local television.

Colts Pull Out Stops As Blackout Deadline Looms - Sports News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

I'm looking forward to relaxing while watching this game knowing regardless of the outcome, there are some positives.

But this Colt's story simply amazed me.................is there any way, short of spreading anthrax on the stadium seating in Gillette, that a PO game would not be sold out 3 days before? I'm even talking the pre-Kraft years on aluminum benches.

The Indianapolis Colts are pulling out all the stops in an effort to ensure that Saturday's playoff showdown with the New York Jets won't be blacked out on local television.

Colts Pull Out Stops As Blackout Deadline Looms - Sports News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

fair weather Colts fan

I couldn't decide who to root for in this game but I decided I want the Jets to go down now in shame after backing into the playoffs--one and done. The Colts are then welcome to come to snowy,windy, frigid Foxboro where Peyton will wilt away into the fetal position to avoid getting sacked after throwing 4 or five interceptions.

Any chance they both can lose today? I;m really starting to dislike the Colts as much as I dislike the Jets. I don't want either one to win. Not out of fear but out of dislike.

I couldn't decide who to root for in this game but I decided I want the Jets to go down now in shame after backing into the playoffs--one and done. The Colts are then welcome to come to snowy,windy, frigid Foxboro where Peyton will wilt away into the fetal position to avoid getting sacked after throwing 4 or five interceptions.

The Colts will never make it out of Pittsburgh.

I'm very disappointed that I am going to miss this game today... Stupid work!!

I don't care who wins, although I would rather see the Jets lose. I just want them to beat the hell out of each other.

Sanchez 54% comp pct 17 tds 13 ints 9 fumbles 75 rating,
1 TD in last 4 games averaging 1.25 points per game in December:eek:(couldn't beat the worst soccer team in the world with those numbers)

Go Jets!!!

Wow, that is pretty sad. I know Indiana is basketball country, but come on. A Super Bowl loss, a few injuries this year, a few less wins than last year, and the fan base loses that much interest in their team?

I dislike both but i cant stand Rexy's mouth.I hope the dolts win and they win by 2 tds or more.

I don't see the Jets winning this game. Peyton Manning will watch what Brady di and throw the ball 45 times. Jets can't score with the Colts. There WR's drop way too many balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes