PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL viewership set many records this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenepatsrule

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
not sure if this has been posted before, i thought this would be a nice change from all the JETS trash talk threads,
i have stopped watching/listening to sports shows for a couple of days now,it seems any channel you watch/listen to has nothing but jets and pats to talk about,A TOURIST to this country may thing the superbowl is a few weeks early, nobody anywhere wants to talk about any other game...the more i listen/read about the JETS being classless the more restless i get for the game, i dont think i have ever waited for a game as much as this one (well maybe the 2007 SB)

17 NFL regular-season games were watched by 25 million viewers – nearly double the 2009 total (nine) and the most for a single regular season ever. NFL games were the only shows on TV to reach the 25 million mark in fall 2010.
For the first time ever, a sports series topped the primetime ratings in the fall as NBC Sunday Night Football averaged 21.4 million viewers.
FOX’s Sunday National telecast (4:15 PM ET) was the most-watched show among all programs with an average of 25.9 million viewers.
CBS’ Sunday National telecast (4:15 PM ET) was the second-most-watched program among all shows with an average of 25.0 million viewers.
ESPN’s Monday Night Football was the most-watched series on cable with an average of 14.7 million viewers. ESPN’s Saints-Falcons, the season finale of Monday Night Football on Dec. 27, averaged 19.1 million viewers to rank as the most-watched cable program of 2010.
NFL Network wrapped up its fifth season of Thursday Night Football with a record average of 5.7 million cable viewers.
The FOX Thanksgiving game (Saints-Cowboys) was the most-watched show of the fall broadcast season and most-watched Thanksgiving game in 12 years with 31.9 million viewers.
NBC’s Eagles-Cowboys game on Dec. 12 was the most-watched Sunday Night Football game ever (25.73 million viewers). Vikings-Packers on Oct. 24 (25.68 million viewers) and Cowboys-Redskins (25.3 million viewers) are the second and third most-watched Sunday Night Football games in history.
The 2010 NFL season is the most-watched and most-viewed regular season among Hispanic viewers, African-American viewers and Women. The 2010 NFL season is the most-watched season among Kids in more than a decade (since 1997).

Following are the 20 most-watched shows of the fall TV season:
Program (Game) Viewers
1. FOX Thanksgiving Day (Saints-Cowboys), 11/25 31.9 million
2. CBS Sunday National (mostly Patriots-Bears), 12/12 30.5 million
3. FOX Sunday National (mostly Packers-Eagles), 9/12 28.0 million
4. CBS Sunday National (mostly Colts-Eagles), 11/7 27.8 million
5. CBS Thanksgiving Day (Patriots-Lions), 11/25 27.8 million
6. NBC Thursday Kickoff (Vikings-Saints), 9/9 27.5 million
7. FOX Sunday National (mostly Cowboys-Colts), 12/5 27.4 million
8. CBS Sunday National (mostly Raiders-Cowboys), 9/19 27.0 million
9. FOX Sunday National (mostly Eagles-Bears), 11/28 26.6 million
10. FOX Sunday National (mostly Cowboys-Giants), 11/14 26.2 million
11. FOX Sunday National (mostly Bears-Packers), 1/2/11 26.1 million
12. FOX Sunday National (mostly Cowboys-Vikings), 10/17 26.0 million
13. NBC Sunday Night Football (Eagles-Cowboys), 12/12 25.7 million
14. CBS Sunday National (mostly Jets-Steelers), 12/19 25.7 million
15. NBC Sunday Night Football (Vikings-Packers), 10/24 25.7 million
16. NBC Sunday Night Football (Cowboys-Redskins), 9/12 25.3 million
17. CBS Sunday National (mostly Vikings-Patriots), 10/31 25.2 million
18. FOX Sunday National (mostly Giants-Packers), 12/26 24.3 million
19t. ABC Dancing with the Stars (season finale pt 2), 11/23 24.2 million
19t. NBC Sunday Night Football (Packers-Patriots), 12/19 24.2 million

Five years ago, none of the top 15 most-watched shows were NFL games

Code:
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/01/13/nfl-2010-tv-recap-most-viewed-season-ever/78564
Code:
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/11/nfl-with-175-million-tv-viewers-2010-is-most-watched-season-in-history/1

I wonder if there's an interesting philosophical or sociological reason for the shift, rather than just marketing. Be an interesting discussion, but maybe for a different part of the forum.

I wonder if there's an interesting philosophical or sociological reason for the shift, rather than just marketing. Be an interesting discussion, but maybe for a different part of the forum.

Interesting thought - though I would tend to think it ends up being much simpler: football provides the best quality of product of all the major sports right now. And by a wide margin.

Every once in a while - and its not often :D - the viewing public gets one right. Football is the most entertaining sport, and the NFL is the best sports business.

Hmmmm...could it maybe be that most regular TV shows suck nowadays? :rolleyes:

Have you seen the crap on TV lately?

TV shows suck, and no other major sport has all of the local team's games over-the-air. I'd probably watch more Celtics if I didn't have to pay $100 a month for the privilege (no need for cable otherwise). It's the perfect storm for football.

Though with how much the NFL charges the 3 networks to show their games, they better have this kind of viewership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes