PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Total Access: 5 Best Players in the League

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would keep Revis on my list. He outperformed the other CBs in the NFL by a greater margin than any other NFL player at any other position. There's a statistical analysis of it done by football outsiders (the link was up here a couple weeks ago). As far as I'm concerned, unless your a punter or a fullback, that gets you on the list.

Brees can't be argued either. He's been putting up the numbers for 6 years and now he has a ring and a Super Bowl MVP.

I'd pick Brady over Chris Johnson. Brady is simply of greater impact to his team than Johnson is. Johnson might be #6 or 7, but the league's great QBs have to come first.

I'm not sold on Ngata though, I'd go with a pass rusher, either Demarcus Ware or Jared Allen.

I would keep Revis on my list. He outperformed the other CBs in the NFL by a greater margin than any other NFL player at any other position. There's a statistical analysis of it done by football outsiders (the link was up here a couple weeks ago). As far as I'm concerned, unless your a punter or a fullback, that gets you on the list.

Brees can't be argued either. He's been putting up the numbers for 6 years and now he has a ring and a Super Bowl MVP.

I'd pick Brady over Chris Johnson. Brady is simply of greater impact to his team than Johnson is. Johnson might be #6 or 7, but the league's great QBs have to come first.

I'm not sold on Ngata though, I'd go with a pass rusher, either Demarcus Ware or Jared Allen.

Great post. I actually would put Brady over Johnson. RB's are so interchangeable these days, even though CJ is very special.

Ngata is excellent, I'd put him at a tie with DeMarcus Ware for #5 on that list. Jared Allen continues to be overrated [IMO]. He is not better than Freeney or Ware. In fact, I'd take Mario Williams over him as well.

Why? Brady is clearly not as good as Brees is currently.

Brady won 3 Superbowls and made it to 4 up until his injury. He had a decent season last year for coming off the injury and still lead his team to the playoffs. Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre had similar stats to Brees and also lead their team to the playoffs. Drew Brees won the Superbowl but it is a team effort really. Brady is far better than Brees is IMO. I don't see how Brady is clearly not as good?

I don't think Brees should get as much credit as he's getting. For example, he's also rated a 99 in madden 11. Just because he won a Superbowl doesn't mean he should be rated a 99. Rodgers and Favre should also be a 99 then because their stats were pretty much the same. Brady had great stats for coming off an injury and this season he should be right back to his old amazing self.

Last edited:
Brady won 3 Superbowls and made it to 4 up until his injury. He had a decent season last year for coming off the injury and still lead his team to the playoffs. Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre had similar stats to Brees and also lead their team to the playoffs. Drew Brees won the Superbowl but it is a team effort really. Brady is far better than Brees is IMO. I don't see how Brady is clearly not as good?

I don't think Brees should get as much credit as he's getting. For example, he's also rated a 99 in madden 11. Just because he won a Superbowl doesn't mean he should be rated a 99.

I think it is clear. That is just me. Brees is on a level no one else is at CURRENTLY.

Would you seriously pick Brady over Brees if your life depended on your team winning?

I would, although I wouldn't hold it against anyone who didn't. You can make a fairly compelling argument for either one of them, but to not have Brady on the list at all just means that Baldinger went full ******.

And I love Ngata as much as anyone (I think he's the best NT/DE hybrid in the league, and I rave about him all the time), but it takes an incredibly narrow and bizarre definition of 'best' to get him on this list. It can't be about pure athletic talent (because even as a physical freak, there are more talented specimens at other positions) and it can't be about contribution to winning (if it was you'd have five QBs). Scarcity would have to enter into the equation, I guess--which has nothing to do with best--but frankly I'm just stumped. He's a hell of a DL, but I can't think of any definition where I couldn't easily find five guys who outrank him.

Last edited:
Would you seriously pick Brady over Brees if your life depended on your team winning?

You say that as if it's the wrong decision.Brady and Brees have been in the business for about the same amount of time and Brady's stats are clearly superior to Brees's over the course of their careers. I think if Brady didn't get injured in 2008 he may even be placed over Peyton Manning. Both Brees and Brady are great QBs, no doubt.

Last edited:
You say that as if it's the wrong decision.Brady and Brees have been in the business for about the same amount of time and Brady's stats are clearly superior to Brees's over the course of their careers. I think if Brady didn't get injured in 2008 he may even be placed over Peyton Manning. Both Brees and Brady are great QBs, no doubt.

If I need to pick a QB to play a game today I pick Brees well before Brady. Brady has accomplished more over his career but at this moment I think Brees is flat-out better. I hope to see TB become TFB yet again but today the "F" belongs to Brees.

It's one man's opinion and I didn't even hear his reasoning behind his picks. I am not going to get too upset about it. If he is basing it on 2009 performance, I really don't have a problem with this list.

It's one man's opinion and I didn't even hear his reasoning behind his picks. I am not going to get too upset about it. If he is basing it on 2009 performance, I really don't have a problem with this list.

I think that's what he did base it on but just because someone has a good year doesn't make them "The best in the league". If we are talking about the best in the league then Brady deserves a spot on the list. Now if it were "Best of 09" then maybe not.

For example, he's also rated a 99 in madden 11. Just because he won a Superbowl doesn't mean he should be rated a 99. Rodgers and Favre should also be a 99 then because their stats were pretty much the same. Brady had great stats for coming off an injury and this season he should be right back to his old amazing self.

I think they did an excellent job on the Madden 11 game and I applaid their non bias view and ability to remain objective in deciding the overall Team and player ratings :)

:rocker::rocker::rocker:

We previously learned the reigning Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints were the highest rated team in Madden 11 with an outstanding 92 overall rating, but only now do we get a full look at the all-important player ratings. To no surprise, Madden 11 cover boy QB Drew Brees is represented in the video game with the maximum 99 overall rating. One of the men in charge of keeping Brees on his feet, RG Jahri Evans, falls just one rating short with a stout 98 overall rating.

this list is basically voided by the fact if you went to any team in the nfl and said for this season only would you rather be quarterbacked by tom brady or have nata/cj/revis/ insert name here not a top 5 quarterback and they would pick the TFB every time makes these types of lists pointless

Im not sure if Brees deserves it either, and I love the guy. I think he may deserve it this year, just because he probably should have gotten MVP last year instead of Peyton when he put up 5000 with only Lance Moore left uninjured.

Brady is clearly better than Brees as a whole. But remember Brees didn't start on a good team with a good coach until 2006. Brady started on the Patriots first day. I mean I cant imagine what the Patriots would be like if BB drafted him from the start, but he probably would have done better. I dont think as good as TB , but better.

Last edited:
how did this insane Rats troll get permission to start threads here?

how did this insane Rats troll get permission to start threads here?

How did this insane Rats troll get permission to even post in threads here?

this list is basically voided by the fact if you went to any team in the nfl and said for this season only would you rather be quarterbacked by tom brady or have nata/cj/revis/ insert name here not a top 5 quarterback and they would pick the TFB every time makes these types of lists pointless

Totally agree, they called Revis the best athlete in the NFL today on the NFL channel.

I was shocked. It takes much more to be a great RB/WR/QB/LB than a CB/S/FS.

Id vote for Chris Johnson at the moment, 2000 yards is insane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back