PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Top 100: Wes Welker on tonight (6/5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Per Reiss:

8. NFL Network's "Top 100 players" series continues tonight (8 p.m. ET), with players 41-50 revealed (as voted on by players). Jerod Mayo has been the lone Patriot to this point (No. 62, presented by Bill Belichick) and reports say that Wes Welker will be featured tonight. Bills coach Chan Gailey will be his presenter. NFL Network previously announced that five Patriots are part of the Top 100.

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I think we can safely assume TFB and Wilfork are on the list, but who's the third? I would think it would have to be Logan Mankins, no?

Most likely it will be Mankins.

I guess you could make a case for McCourty.

Most likely it will be Mankins.

I guess you could make a case for McCourty.

I will not be McCourty, Ndamukong Suh was the highest ranked rookie at 51. So it must be Mankins.

Brandon Lloyd was on NFL Network and had one of the most level headed takes on this list. They were trying to get him to say that Greg Jennings should be much higher and he said if we are doing the best 100 players of the last 5 years he should be moved up but for 2011 he's right where he should be.

Jason Allen and Dallas Clark making the list proves the point that just like pro bowls there's way too many reputation picks.

I'm assuming Revis is going to make the list at some point and he's a hell of a player. But you look at McCorty vs Revis and Mccorty was the better player.

Revis 13 Games, 0 interceptions, 10 Passes defended, 32 tackles, 0 Sacks, 0 Forced Fumbles.

Mccorty 16 games, 7 interceptions, 17 passes defended, 82 tackles, 1 Sack, 2 forced fumbles.

I know stats are for losers and they don't tell the entire story but he was the better player in 2011 and that's not being a homer.

EDIT: And Assante making it over Mccorty is a joke. He gambles and gets some picks but doesn't tackle and gives up lots of huge plays.

Last edited:
Brandon Lloyd was on NFL Network and had one of the most level headed takes on this list. They were trying to get him to say that Greg Jennings should be much higher and he said if we are doing the best 100 players of the last 5 years he should be moved up but for 2011 he's right where he should be.

Jason Allen and Dallas Clark making the list proves the point that just like pro bowls there's way too many reputation picks.

I'm assuming Revis is going to make the list at some point and he's a hell of a player. But you look at McCorty vs Revis and Mccorty was the better player.

Revis 13 Games, 0 interceptions, 10 Passes defended, 32 tackles, 0 Sacks, 0 Forced Fumbles.

Mccorty 16 games, 7 interceptions, 17 passes defended, 82 tackles, 1 Sack, 2 forced fumbles.

I know stats are for losers and they don't tell the entire story but he was the better player in 2011 and that's not being a homer.

EDIT: And Assante making it over Mccorty is a joke. He gambles and gets some picks but doesn't tackle and gives up lots of huge plays.

Revis has been the best CB the past 2 seasons. It's not even close.

Revis has been the best CB the past 2 seasons. It's not even close.

He missed three games and played another three injured where his performance while OK was not all world. When healthy and not sitting out due to contract issues he is the best right now but for the 2011 season due to these issues he was not the best.

Dollar for Dollar I'll take Devin :)

$10 Million- 5yrs

There's a $3.2 million escalator on the back end that brings you to the five-year max total of $13.2 million.

Revis signed a 7 year contract with the Jets on September 6, 2010 worth $55 million with $27.54 million in guarantees. $46 million will be paid in the first four years of the deal.

Last edited:
Just a thought. You need to do a "how many times Revis is thrown to" count. I bet it's not a lot.

Stats for NFL defensive individuals, especially cornerbacks, are sometimes hard to use as arguments. Possible scenario: Revis covers his receivers so well that these receivers are hardly ever thrown to thus he does not get many passes defended, tackles, or interceptions.

McCourty is awesome and has the potential to match or even exceed (fingers crossed) Revis' talent. Revis and Asomogha are still the top two corners in the NFL.

Just a thought. You need to do a "how many times Revis is thrown to" count. I bet it's not a lot.

I don't have last year's numbers, but he was one of the most thrown at CBs in 2009. Those passes just weren't complete.

McCourty failing to make this list while Berry does makes no sense though.

I don't have last year's numbers, but he was one of the most thrown at CBs in 2009. Those passes just weren't complete.

It does, actually, once you find out that players were only asked to list their top 20 players; the top 100 are just the players with the highest leaguewide totals.

It's tough to evaluate certain metrics when there not made available to us. It reminds me of the Oakland game where all and sundry were saying "Nnamdi never has balls thrown his way he's that dominant don't bother" only to see Brady actively target him and from memory complete 2 touchdown passes over Asomugha. I sat there knowing how good Nnamdi is realizing just how great Tom Brady is.

Last edited:
Sorry to interrupt this Revis vs. McCourty thread but Wes chimed in at #50 in case anyone was wondering:

Wes Welker No. 50 in players' poll - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

2. "There are guys faster than him. There are guys bigger than him. He's fought his way to get to where he is. He's worked his way to get to where he is."

Pound-for-pound the toughest guy in the league. He's like a Patriot version of Bruin legend Stan Jonathan.

YouTube - ‪hockey fight‬‏

I just love scrappy little dudes.

Last edited:
When asked on the reaction show which up and comer is going to be great, Champ Bailey without pause, said DM. Says he gets a good feeling from him.

When asked on the reaction show which up and comer is going to be great, Champ Bailey without pause, said DM. Says he gets a good feeling from him.

I've been rewatching a few of the Pats' games lately (aka, I'm home for the summer and can download them at a reasonable speed), and it sticks out how much McCourty gets it. His football intelligence was completely off the charts for a rookie, and he processes information very quickly. He's one of those rare examples where the ability of the brain matches the elite athleticism, and those are the players that end up being special.

As for Welker, I look forward to having the "system player" argument with lots of football fans. I already saw one Jets fan use than as reasoning for why Welker was ranked too high:mad:

It's tough to evaluate certain metrics when there not made available to us. It reminds me of the Oakland game where all and sundry were saying "Nnamdi never has balls thrown his way he's that dominant don't bother" only to see Brady actively target him and from memory complete 2 touchdown passes over Asomugha. I sat there knowing how good Nnamdi is realizing just how great Tom Brady is.

Ummm . . . the only time the Patriots have played against Asomugha, the QB was Matt Cassel. :eek:

Last edited:
Ummm . . . the only time the Patriots have played against Asomugha, the QB was Matt Cassel. :eek:

Unless he's talking about the 2005 season opener. Asomugha was one of the top tacklers with 8. And if that's the case, it was only his 3rd yr anyway, as he was drafted in 2003. Brady did throw 2 TD's, but I don't think any of us were thinking about Asomugha at the time, so I can't see him being all that impressed with specifically targeting him.

I would assume that you are probably right, and he's just thinking of Cassel's 4 TD performance in 2008.

welker is #50 i think Mankins and Wilfork will be the in top 30's and Brady will be #1

He missed three games and played another three injured where his performance while OK was not all world. When healthy and not sitting out due to contract issues he is the best right now but for the 2011 season due to these issues he was not the best.

He owned Wayne and whoever we had on him,i'm not sure if he allowed a catch in the steelers game.

McCourty got owned by Edwards. Nuff said.

He has time to go til he is Revis level.

Last edited:
I've been rewatching a few of the Pats' games lately (aka, I'm home for the summer and can download them at a reasonable speed), and it sticks out how much McCourty gets it. His football intelligence was completely off the charts for a rookie, and he processes information very quickly. He's one of those rare examples where the ability of the brain matches the elite athleticism, and those are the players that end up being special.

As for Welker, I look forward to having the "system player" argument with lots of football fans. I already saw one Jets fan use than as reasoning for why Welker was ranked too high:mad:

Nick Mangold was on NFLN today and chose Revis as #1 overall (pleeease, really Nick?) over Tom and Peyton.

As for Welker he got the 39th ranking in the fans poll. Have Revis try to shadow Welker for a whole game and I think his "all-world" status might take a dip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots