PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Top 100 2013

...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....................

Anyone who complains about the NLFN Top 100 just has to understand that the methodology consists of asking players across the league (not even sure how many) to write down, in order, their top 20 players, and then they just weight the responses. Luck and RGIII had great rookie seasons and have been super-hyped from day one, of course random NFL players are going to put them down on the list they probably filled out while taking a dump after morning practice.

It's incredibly stupid but also a BRILLIANT idea by the NFL Network. It takes minimal effort to conduct the survey, and they can drag the rankings out for months, and get all of us to watch, talk and whine about it.

yeah...and it further de-emphasizes the TEAM aspect of the game and fosters individual accomplishment as a benchmark...leading to more marketing of anything from insurance to hot dogs to credit cards to pizza to oreo cookies and soft drinks.

Go ME!!!! and buy everything I tell you to because I'm Peytie The Shameless Marketing Whore!..

Even Marshall McLuhan could have never suspected the scope of his "the medium is the message" expression...his notion of a "global village" fell just a bit short...he should have added "idiots".

I don't think Tommy Boy with all of his endorsements complains too much ... Peyton does more mainstream work but I would bet Brady's endorsement portfolio is not far off from Peyton's... I will never condemn a player from taking as many endorsement deals as he/she wants. Who cares? Peyton steps on the field and gets his team to play hard just as much as Brady does, no need to hate there.

My biggest issue with the whole concept is trying to compare Vince to Gronk to Luck, etc... any attempt to compare across positions in football is pointless.

How the hell is Andrew Luck nr 23? 54% completion, 18 ******* picks, 10 fumbles, 76 passer rating. 76! That's around Mark Sanchez career passer rating.

Wilson and RGIII were way better.

well, I'm having a difficult time expressing my point cogently (gee, that's news). I don't begrudge the players getting whatever they can, and it's always good business to use any sports top, elite performers as spokesmen...but glorifying "top players" over elite franchises, elite TEAMS sorta waters down things in my eyes. I mean, who cares if the Cardinals are a 3-13 team (hypothetically) as long as every person in the country KNOWS Larry Fitzgerald and buys HIS choice of athletic footwear because it's cool to identify with a specific player rather than a team known for its elite play.

Look, this book, written by Christopher Lasch back in 1979 identified this culture we see today and predicted it would become a prevailing meme in our society...

books

Is it important that an player make a "Top 100!!!" list??? I mean, take Suh...he's a great player...the Lions sauck...so what do I care about some freaks arguing who's better, him or Tamba Hali...they are on teams that always sauck...oh, but they made the "Top 100!!!" list...oh wowsers...I thought the object of the game was to win and play for TEAM championships..guess I'm an outdated , anachronistic relic....today it's all about hwo has the biggest Sherman mouth and who points to the sky after every two friggin' yard gain that is important.

well, I'm having a difficult time expressing my point cogently (gee, that's news). I don't begrudge the players getting whatever they can, and it's always good business to use any sports top, elite performers as spokesmen...but glorifying "top players" over elite franchises, elite TEAMS sorta waters down things in my eyes. I mean, who cares if the Cardinals are a 3-13 team (hypothetically) as long as every person in the country KNOWS Larry Fitzgerald and buys HIS choice of athletic footwear because it's cool to identify with a specific player rather than a team known for its elite play.

Look, this book, written by Christopher Lasch back in 1979 identified this culture we see today and predicted it would become a prevailing meme in our society...

books

Is it important that an player make a "Top 100!!!" list??? I mean, take Suh...he's a great player...the Lions sauck...so what do I care about some freaks arguing who's better, him or Tamba Hali...they are on teams that always sauck...oh, but they made the "Top 100!!!" list...oh wowsers...I thought the object of the game was to win and play for TEAM championships..guess I'm an outdated , anachronistic relic....today it's all about hwo has the biggest Sherman mouth and who points to the sky after every two friggin' yard gain that is important.

Without this stuff, it sure makes football life hopeless and boring if your team finishes 5-11 every year.

For whatever it is worth (I know, not much), here is PFF's Top 101 for the 2012 year. Yeah, umm .... no; but it is worth a good laugh...

PFF's Top 101 of 2012: the Full List

101. Blair Walsh, K, Minnesota Vikings (Unranked)
100. Joe Flacco, QB, Baltimore Ravens (Unranked)
99. Reggie Nelson, S, Cincinnati Bengals (Unranked)
98. Champ Bailey, CB, Denver Broncos (80th)
97. T.J. Ward, S, Cleveland Browns (Unranked)
96. Dez Bryant, WR, Dallas Cowboys (Unranked)
95. Jurrell Casey, DT, Tennessee Titans (Unranked)
94. Jared Veldheer, OT, Oakland Raiders (Unranked)
93. Sam Shields, CB, Green Bay Packers (Unranked)
92. Ray Rice, RB, Baltimore Ravens (85th)
91. Dwayne Allen, TE, Indianapolis Colts (Unranked)

90. Eli Manning, QB, New York Giants (8th)
89. Lawrence Timmons, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers (Unranked)
88. Doug Martin, RB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Unranked)
87. Justin Smith, DE, San Francisco 49ers (2nd)
86. Greg Hardy, DE, Carolina Panthers (Unranked)
85. Will Beatty, LT, New York Giants (Unranked)
84. Henry Melton, DT, Chicago Bears (Unranked)
83. Patrick Peterson, CB, Arizona Cardinals (Unranked)
82. Lavonte David, LB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Unranked)
81. Colin Kaepernick, QB, San Francisco 49ers (Unranked)

80. Anthony Davis, RT, San Francisco 49ers (Unranked)
79. Drew Brees, QB, New Orleans Saints (3rd)
78. Brandon Moore, RG, New York Jets (Unranked)
77. Jason Hatcher, DE, Dallas Cowboys (Unranked)
76. Brandon Graham, DE, Philadelphia Eagles (Unranked)
75. Tarrell Brown, CB, San Francisco 49ers (Unranked)
74. Daryl Washington, LB, Arizona Cardinals (Unranked)
73. Julio Jones, WR, Atlanta Falcons (Unranked)
72. Antonio Smith, DE, Houston Texans (Unranked)
71. Frank Gore, RB, San Francisco 49ers (Unranked)

70. Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Pittsburgh Steelers (48th)
69. Charles Johnson, DE, Carolina Panthers (Unranked)
68. Nick Fairley, DT, Detroit Lions (Unranked)
67. Derrick Johnson, LB, Kansas City Chiefs (28th)
66. Anthony Spencer, OLB, Dallas Cowboys (Unranked)
65. Derrick Morgan, DE, Tennessee Titans (Unranked)
64. Chris Harris, CB, Denver Broncos (Unranked)
63. Anquan Boldin, WR, Baltimore Ravens (Unranked)
62. Jason Witten, TE, Dallas Cowboys (Unranked)
61. Bobby Wagner, LB, Seattle Seahawks (Unranked)

60. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Detroit Lions (Unranked)
59. NaVorro Bowman, LB, San Francisco 49ers (14th)
58. Antoine Winfield, CB, Minnesota Vikings (Unranked)
57. Aldon Smith, OLB, San Francisco 49ers (64th)
56. Reggie Wayne, WR, Indianapolis Colts (Unranked)
55. Russell Okung, LT, Seattle Seahawks (Unranked)
54. Sebastian Vollmer, RT, New England Patriots (Unranked)
53. Mike Iupati, LG, San Francisco 49ers (Unranked)
52. Michael Roos, LT, Tennessee Titans (Unranked)
51. Percy Harvin, WR, Minnesota Vikings (61st)

50. Alex Boone, RG, San Francisco 49ers (Unranked)
49. Roddy White, WR, Atlanta Falcons (Unranked)
48. Reshad Jones, S, Miami Dolphins (Unranked)
47. Ryan Clady, LT, Denver Broncos (Unranked)
46. Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, New York Giants (17th)
45. Demaryius Thomas, WR, Denver Broncos (Unranked)
44. Tony Gonzalez, TE, Atlanta Falcons (84th)
43. Jerod Mayo, LB, New England Patriots (Unranked)
42. Rob Gronkowski, TE, New England Patriots (6th)
41. A.J. Green, WR, Cincinnati Bengals (Unranked)

40. Marshawn Lynch, RB, Seattle Seahawks (92nd)
39. Vernon Davis, TE, San Francisco 49ers (Unranked)
38. Alfred Morris, RB, Washington Redskins (Unranked)
37. Michael Crabtree, WR, San Francisco 49ers (Unranked)
36. Casey Hayward, CB, Green Bay Packers (Unranked)
35. Max Unger, C, Seattle Seahawks (Unranked)
34. Joe Thomas, LT, Cleveland Browns (67th)
33. Antonio Cromartie, CB, New York Jets (Unranked)
32. Marshal Yanda, RG, Baltimore Ravens (34th)
31. Robert Griffin III, QB, Washington Redskins (Unranked)

30. Brandon Marshall, WR, Chicago Bears (Unranked)
29. Calais Campbell, DE, Arizona Cardinals (57th)
28. Devin McCourty, DB, New England Patriots (Unranked)
27. Vincent Jackson, WR, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Unranked)
26. John Sullivan, C, Minnesota Vikings (75th)
25. Jairus Byrd, S, Buffalo Bills (72nd)
24. Clay Matthews, OLB, Green Bay Packers (38th)
23. Russell Wilson, QB, Seattle Seahawks (Unranked)
22. Kyle Williams, DT, Buffalo Bills (Unranked)
21. Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots (13th)

20. Gerald McCoy, DT, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Unranked)
19. Charles Tillman, CB, Chicago Bears (Unranked)
18. C.J. Spiller, RB, Buffalo Bills (Unranked)
17. Matt Ryan, QB, Atlanta Falcons (74th)
16. Joe Staley, LT, San Francisco 49ers (Unranked)
15. Eric Weddle, S, San Diego Chargers (66th)
14. Muhammad Wilkerson, DL, New York Jets (Unranked)
13. Duane Brown, LT, Houston Texans (65th)
12. Calvin Johnson, WR, Detroit Lions (4th)
11. Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay Packers (1st)

10. Patrick Willis, LB, San Francisco 49ers (20th)
9. Andre Johnson, WR, Houston Texans (Unranked)
8. Cameron Wake, DE, Miami Dolphins (16th)
7. Peyton Manning, QB, Denver Broncos (Unranked)
6. Evan Mathis, LG, Philadelphia Eagles (18th)
5. Richard Sherman, CB, Seattle Seahawks (99th)
4. Von Miller, OLB, Denver Broncos (12th)
3. Geno Atkins, DT, Cincinnati Bengals (19th)
2. Adrian Peterson, RB, Minnesota Vikings (55th)
1. J.J. Watt, DE, Houston Texans (54th)

NFL Network's #11 through 20:

Top 100 Players of 2013 - NFL.com

• 20. RB Jamaal Charles
  • 19. QB Joe Flacco
  • 18. S Ed Reed
  • 17. QB Matt Ryan
  • 16. WR A.J. Green
  • 15. QB Robert Griffin
  • 14. WR Andre Johnson
  • 13. RB Ray Rice
  • 12. LB DeMarcus Ware
  • 11. QB Drew Brees

Last edited:
How the hell is Andrew Luck nr 23? 54% completion, 18 ******* picks, 10 fumbles, 76 passer rating. 76! That's around Mark Sanchez career passer rating.

Wilson and RGIII were way better.

Wilson should not have even been on the list. RGIII was way better though, I agree.

The whole list a joke. Everyone should know this.

They probably won't put Tom Brady above noodle arm and Rodgers.

As near as I can tell the top ten will be among these players:

• QB Tom Brady
  • RB Arian Foster
  • QB Robert Griffin III
  • WR Andre Johnson
  • WR Calvin Johnson
  • OLB Von Miller
  • RB Adrian Peterson
  • QB Aaron Rodgers
  • RB C.J. Spiller
  • DE J.J. Watt

Last edited:
As near as I can tell the top ten will be among these players:

• QB Tom Brady
  • RB Arian Foster
  • QB Robert Griffin III
  • WR Andre Johnson
  • WR Calvin Johnson
  • OLB Von Miller
  • RB Adrian Peterson
  • QB Aaron Rogers
  • RB C.J. Spiller
  • DE J.J. Watt

Rg3 and Andre Johnson were in the top 20 already. They didn't make top 10. I think 11 and 13 were their numbers.

Rg3 and Andre Johnson were in the top 20 already. They didn't make top 10. I think 11 and 13 were their numbers.

Thanks, I totally missed that. RGIII was #15 and Andre Johnson was #14, so cross them off. And add Peyton Manning, I guess that was some sort of unconscious subliminal slip leaving him off the top ten, as I had actually thought of him when I was putting the final ten together.

So who else is there? I would say that it has to be Aldon Smith, but maybe there is somebody else that I am overlooking.

I imagine the top 10 will consist of

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Peyton Manning
Calvin Johnson
Adrian Peterson
Arian Foster
JJ Watt
Aldon Smith
Von Miller
Patrick Willis

They said one of the top 5 of last years top 100 will drop out of it. So that leaves Rodgers, Brady or Johnson out. My guess is players think Rodgers is better than Brady. And since Players already said Johnson was better than Brady last year...makes sense Johnson will still be in it.

Like the Offensive lineman I think Brady is getting shafted cuz the players are only looking at numbers and "flash". Patriots had way more rush TD's than the Broncos or Packers. Brady's the one leading that offense to Rush TD's

Patrick Willis is another player I somehow completely missed, my bad.

That means that at least one of these guys is not only not in the top ten, but not in the top 100:

QB Tom Brady
RB Arian Foster
WR Calvin Johnson
QB Peyton Manning
OLB Von Miller
RB Adrian Peterson
QB Aaron Rodgers
DE Aldon Smith
RB C.J. Spiller
DE J.J. Watt
ILB Patrick Willis

You figure Brady, Megatron, Manning, Peterson and Rogers have to be included. Watt and Miller get enough publicity that they will be included as well; that's seven in.

Aldon Smith and Patrick Willis were both not just Pro Bowlers, but First Team All Pros on a club that made it to the Super Bowl. Willis has been performing at a very high level for a while so he's definitely in, but Smith is not as well known since he has only played in the NFL for two years.

This whole ranking is very offense-oriented, so Foster is likely to make the list as well. Spiller has to be the odd man out; he has only had one great year, and he plays on a bad team in a small market.

I would have to say that Smith is in, and Spiller is out. (Cue outrage from Buffalo fans).

Last year's top ten were Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Calvin Johnson, Tom Brady, Darrelle Revis, DeMarcus Ware, Larry Fitzgerald, Adrian Peterson, Haloti Ngata and Patrick Willis. From the top five Brees (#11 this year) and Revis (#67) are out this year, as are Ware (#12), Fitzgerald (#22) and Ngata (#42). The only holdovers in the top ten will be Rodgers, Johnson, Brady, Peterson and Willis.

NFL.com - Top 100 Players of 2013
Top 100 Players of 2013 - NFL.com

I kind of agree with the Brees rating, but dont really with the Rogers soon to be 1st or 2nd rating. You have Brees with the worst defense ever on a field, and 5 WR/TE's on the top 10 and 20 most dropped passes list.
Rogers passer rating is excellent, but hes also the most sacked QB in the NFL last year and almost always top 5, some what disputing the moble QB perception, and maybe showing his love of good numbers over doing anything to win or not playing it safe.
Im much more in the Breess, flute, Montana, camp of thinking where you do anything to win and hang it out there. Like the catch. Maybe Brees should have taken 30 more sacks like rogers and helped his numbers ? Not done throws going down in a sack.
But the interceptions are not a reflexion of his passing and more so a general break down of the WR/TE core.

2012 NFL Leaders and Leaderboards - Pro-Football-Reference.com
Dropped passes
dropped passes - NFC South Blog - ESPN

I mean exactly what are you suppose to do when your 3rd and 7 because your WR/TE are not making catches , or poping the ball up for ints? to win the game. You have to force it, I think.
I like the different list. Im just disapointed that reality is not taken into account sometimes, and flavors of the decade like P.Manning, Newton, Rogers and Ray Lewis are removing guys like London Fletcher, and others. Not Brees this year, because he got what he desurved. AP should be #1, but thats not going to happen.

QB Tom Brady
RB Arian Foster
WR Calvin Johnson
QB Peyton Manning
OLB Von Miller
RB Adrian Peterson
QB Aaron Rodgers
DE Aldon Smith
RB C.J. Spiller
DE J.J. Watt
ILB Patrick Willis

This whole ranking is very offense-oriented, so Foster is likely to make the list as well. Spiller has to be the odd man out; he has only had one great year, and he plays on a bad team in a small market.

I would have to say that Smith is in, and Spiller is out. (Cue outrage from Buffalo fans).

Yeah Spiller's got loads of talent for sure - wouldn't say he's worthy of a top 10 ranking for the whole NFL though. It's definitely a mini-travesty that he will seemingly be excluded from the top 100. Good example of a small market keeping a firm ceiling on his publicity - if he were starting in Green Bay or Dallas he's be top 30 no sweat.

I expect him to go from NR to top 50 pretty easily after this upcoming season, barring injury.

LOL Jacoby Jones making the list at 88 hahahahahhahahhahahhaa

1. AP
2. Manning
4. Brady
6. Rodgers

Fail.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill