PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL to Fans: STFU. You're blind. All is well

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The NFL has attempted to whitewash the gross misconduct of the officials by saying that there were no incorrect calls in the SB.

Personally, I am appalled that they have tried to whitewash this. Its disgusts me. One has to wonder if they are trying to push fans away before the end of the 2006/2007 season so there won't be as much fallout if there is labor strife.

http://sports.iwon.com/news/02082006/v1492.html

wow

They would have been better off to just let this thing run it's course. However now they have just breathed new life into it and made themselves look even more foolish!

I can't believe they are saying it was officiated correctly. Holy crap, what nonsense. Someone out there will have a list of clips up eventually detailing the calls that WERE made vs the ones that were NOT made and then we'll all see for ourselves how correct the calls were. Insanity that the NFL is trying to paint over this like it was no big deal. Unbelievable. My hope for the future of the NFL is dimmed considerably.

The official statement clears up one thing.

Before now it was unclear whether league hq fixed the game ... or whether gamblers did. If the league says it was "officiated correctly" ... that can only mean that the best-of-bunch, highest-graded, picked team of officials ... did what they were supposed to do. They followed orders from Tags' office.

This was reported yesterday - it's just the obligatory BS PR release from the NFL offices, just like the ones they released regarding questions in the earlier playoff games. The only ruling they chose to admit was wrong days after the fact (Wed PM in fact when Pereria did his weekly segment on NFL All Access) was the one that had no effect on the outcome of a game since the team that ruling went against ultimately won the game. Had they lost, we'd still be hearing how the Polamalu call was a judgement too (although privately Cowher would be getting a mea culpa). Pereria did seem shaken and apologetic when discussing each of the questionable calls from week 2. It will be interesting to see if he shows up tonight, and whether he is again contrite and sympathetic or more defensive and defiant.

If you're expecting a public admission from the NFL any time soon that they blew a call that potentially effected the outcome of a game, let alone the SB, you're naive. What you should expect though is some discussion amongst the owners, the league and Mike Pereria that ultimately results in some constructive changes.

Frankly they must be doing a jig in the NFL offices today that the NHL gambling story broke just when they needed it to.

They need to get the former Minister of Information of Iraq to do their press releases. "There are no bad referees at the Super Bowl... we have not seen any bad calls for the game... they are not at the airport... do not pay any attention to your eyes, they are deceiving you... we have everything under control... "

Last edited:
The first step in fixing the problem, is admitting there is one....

By the way, here's an interesting old read about the return of the regular officials after the '01 labor strike.

http://www.nfl.com/news/2001/pereira_092001.html

"Q: What does the mean to the fans?

Pereira: It means that they will have a committed group back on the field to provide the game the best group of officials the game has to offer. As it relates to instant replay, there will be more continuity, which will give the fans a smoother flow to the game"

JLC said:
They need to get the former Minister of Information of Iraq to do their press releases. "There are no bad referees at the Super Bowl... we have not seen any bad calls for the game... they are not at the airport... do not pay any attention to your eyes, they are deceiving you... we have everything under control... "
The infidel seahawks were defeated swiftly and mercilously.

I agree..they ARE happy that the NHL gamblling story has broken..BUT it is importnat to keep this story alive!!! WHy?? It's not about the Superbowl..it's about officiating in the future!!!! Why follow a team if when Tbu decides things...and rules..and tells officials WHAT to do. Holley on EEI said it right..if he sihes to put his head in the sand he can..but it is NOT going away!!!

From TSHIRTDYNASTY's thread yesterday . . . .
ESPN SportsNation poll on NFL officiating

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sport...g?event_id=2011

Some highlights so far:

1) What grade would you give referee Bill Leavy's officiating crew
for
Super Bowl XL?

49.3%F
25.5%D
14.5%C
8.8%B
1.9%A
3) Did the officiating in Sunday's game unfairly favor one team?

78.3%Unfairly favored the Steelers
16.7%The right calls were made
5.1%Unfairly favored the Seahawks

4) Which played the biggest role in determining the outcome of the
game?

56.1%Officials missing calls
29.2%Seahawks not making plays
14.7%Steelers making plays

I find this interesting because the NFL is all about perceptions and the NFL had better take a serious look at poll results like the above from a perception viewpoint because the total number of responders at the time I checked it was just about 170,000 people and still counting!!

What is NFL fan's perception? The refs sucked and impacted negatively on the most important game of the year!!

What was the worldwide audience perception - - - - probably that referees determined the winner!?!?

The proper response to this statement is clear although I doubt any of us have the guts to do it.

Boycott the NFL!

I love the Pats and the NFL, and they fill an important part of my life. The arrogance that the NFL has showed would be best handled by ignoring their product...but for me, that would be incredibly difficult to do...and I'm sure the NFL knows it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back