PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL to ask NFLPS for Another Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsSteve1

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
With FA about to start at 6:00pm EST, Chris Mortensen just said at 5:00pm that he heard the NFL is going to ask the NFLPA for another delay of FA until Wednesday at 4:00pm. If they agree to a % of revenue to the players that's too high, without a new revenue sharing deal amoungst the owners, the low budget owners would vote against the deal(even if they get a tenative deal now) because they'll say they can't/won't/don't have the money for a cap that high. If that % is too low, the NFLPA won't agree to it. I'd like to be a fly on the wall to know who(mostly the owners) is saying what. The owners aren't actually there, but there must be emails, conference calls and blackberry's going wild.

5:30pm EST, Morty says they agreed to a 4 hour delay from 6:00 to 10:00pm for FA to start.

Will they just get this thing done ? :D

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 5:55 p.m. EST, March 5, 2006

DEADLINE EXTENDED BY FOUR HOURS

Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reports that the NFL and the NFLPA have agreed to bump the team-by-team deadline for getting under the salary cap from 6:00 p.m. EST Sunday until 10:00 p.m. EST.

This tells us that a deal is getting pretty darn close. Otherwise, they would have bumped it by at least a day.

Free agency is still scheduled to begin at 12:01 a.m. Monday. If a new deal is reached (or if one isn't), the launch of free agency most likely will be pushed back.

Last edited:
I think they have both used all of their timeouts. It's time they start calling delay of game penalties.

pats1 said:
This tells us that a deal is getting pretty darn close. Otherwise, they would have bumped it by at least a day.

first post, don't kill me :)

I agree, but it could also mean they told teams they *were* close, so they held off on cuts, but talks broke off, and they gave them 4 hours to get their cuts in.

Although we'd probably know if talks broke off, so perhaps it's the option you said. They needed a few more hours for the deadline, then they'll delay the start of FA a bit to allow teams to prepare again.

SteveBsFan said:

I agree, but it could also mean they told teams they *were* close, so they held off on cuts, but talks broke off, and they gave them 4 hours to get their cuts in.

Although we'd probably know if talks broke off, so perhaps it's the option you said. They needed a few more hours for the deadline, then they'll delay the start of FA a bit to allow teams to prepare again.

Who do you think you are? Coming on the board with your first post and being absolutely right. That just doesn't happen here.:rocker:

Welcome.

SteveBsFan said:

Wow! youre good! talks have broken off as you predicted.

Congrats and welcome.

shirtsleeve said:
Wow! youre good! talks have broken off as you predicted.

Congrats and welcome.

Thanks, I didn't want to be right though :( I just read it now, that sucks.

The Patriots being under the cap, I think, can just wait until the other teams make their cuts.

I would'nt expect BB to do anything tonight as far as cuts are concerned.

PATSNUTme said:
The Patriots being under the cap, I think, can just wait until the other teams make their cuts.

I would'nt expect BB to do anything tonight as far as cuts are concerned.

Right - there is no need for us to do anything, unless we already have deals made that will require cuts and re-signings or restructuring on order to remain under the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back