PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL tells teams to expect replacement refs Week 1

Kid~Brady

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
With opening night of the 2012 NFL season one week away, the league office alerted all 32 teams Wednesday that the season will begin with replacement officials in place, according to a memo obtained by NFL.com and NFL Network.

Link: NFL tells teams to expect replacement refs Week 1 - NFL.com

Sorry if this was already posted, every though we probably figured this was the case.

1239177107_tricycle-jump-fail.gif

This is going to end up costing a team, or team's a play-off spot. Pretty disgraceful on the part of the NFL.

I've watched quite a few games and they are definitely getting better. I would argue some of the games felt more like football should be played. They seemed consistent and actually let the secondary actually play. As long as they are consistent, I don't think I care if the old refs never come back.

I've watched quite a few games and they are definitely getting better. I would argue some of the games felt more like football should be played. They seemed consistent and actually let the secondary actually play. As long as they are consistent, I don't think I care if the old refs never come back.

I have to say the one positive is that the replacement refs have been less inclined to call phantom and ticky tack calls. That said, they have missed a lot of calls that were obvious, but so did the real refs.

I agree with you. Honestly, I haven't noticed an unusual number of botched calls, not so much more than the actual refs at least to make a difference. Most of where I've noticed these refs look like rookies is in procedural things, spoken mistakes on calls, and just generally being slow as hell. Things that are annoying now, but should improve as they get into the swing of things.

The NFL made them a pretty fair offer......good enough for them to come back.....but really.....crappy calls were made by the real refs and the replacements.....t biggest negative to me us they are slower to get the game going again.....and ths could impact the Pats in the hurry up Offense....other than that....couldn't care less.

The replacement refs have been horrible, and they'll only get worse once players are going at 100%.

The replacement refs have been horrible, and they'll only get worse once players are going at 100%.

I disagree. Like anything in life, they'll get better at it the more they do it and get used to the pro game (and shake off some of the nerves).

I disagree. Like anything in life, they'll get better at it the more they do it and get used to the pro game (and shake off some of the nerves).

They haven't been able to keep pace with backups in exhibition games. If we're lucky, nobody will get killed or permanently injured because of the incompetence of these clowns.

They haven't been able to keep pace with backups in exhibition games. If we're lucky, nobody will get killed or permanently injured because of the incompetence of these clowns.

I think you're exaggerating the physical dangers of having replacement refs, but something tells me this is an issue we're just not going to see eye to eye on. We disagree and I think we should leave it at that before it goes any further.

a competent commissioner would have NEVER allowed this to become an issue...it is hideous..and an embarrassment for all involved.

Anyone still want to pretend that these replacements are anywhere near competent?

they just aired a segment from tonight's
game on NFL Tonight....even though I saw it live, the second time around it was far more enraging...if you get a chance , watch it....that was out and out bush league ridiculous...I mean, I've seen a lot of football on all levels, hell, I even watched the XFL games (I know...I know) for a season...I have NEVER seen organized ineptness like this dog and pony show this preseason...not ever

they just aired a segment from tonight's
game on NFL Tonight....even though I saw it live, the second time around it was far more enraging...if you get a chance , watch it....that was out and out bush league ridiculous...I mean, I've seen a lot of football on all levels, hell, I even watched the XFL games (I know...I know) for a season...I have NEVER seen organized ineptness like this dog and pony show this preseason...not ever

Sadly, the touchback call (Bills/Redskins) was even worse.

Anyone still want to pretend that these replacements are anywhere near competent?

Last night's game was terrible with the whole "illegal shift on the kicking team"... oh wait, correction..." geez.

Last edited:
You guys do realize that NFL did this to kick negotiations into gear. Since the memo went out, both sides have agreed to meet to negotiate. I expect a deal to be done before the start of the season.

That was horrible last night, how long did we wait for such a simple call to get worked out? Think of the momentum changes that could occur because the refs can't get their act together.

I think Pete Prisco, who can be an ass but doesn't pull his punches, had the quote of the lockout. Put the regular season refs on the field with these crews and no one would notice any difference. The media has worked this up into a frenzy of criticism. They will do that to drive a compelling story line. And it remains chic to oppose the billionaire owners. Few fans were happy with the regulars. Ed Hoculi who is suddenly revered again in NFL reffing circles, had become a goat for his gaffs. Increasingly officials were impacting games with phantom calls and swallowed whistles and inconsistent inforcement to the point many of the current critics of their replacements were convinced the fix was in.

Same guys who won the CBA negotiation will eventually prevail here. The only difference is in the interim fans who criticize the officiating will find they have some strange allies who will evaporate once the expensive guys who also sucked return and revert to telling those fans and coaches who disagree with them they just don't understand the rules and are whining because their team lost.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back