PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Supplemental Draft

Can't see the Pats even getting a sniff at him, but it would be nice if they did. They need one more fat ass by my count.

You think someone will use a first on him?

I'm not sure the Patriots need any more defensive linemen - and if they did, a rookie who played one year of college football in 2012 at a Division 3 school (a year his team went 2-8, getting killed by teams like Ohio Dominican, Concordia Selma, and Edward Waters College) is probably not one they should be considering.

But, you know, he's a 350 lb. guy who can dunk.

Maybe. There are plenty of teams that need help along the DL.

He hasn't played since 2012 and when he did, it was one season at a bad D-3 school. He had to leave his FCS school without ever playing because of academics and then left school because he was failing out. If he does get drafted at all, it will be in the 7th round and based entirely on athletic ability. I'm guessing he'll be a camp invite. This guy's only news because it's mid-July.

He hasn't played since 2012 and when he did, it was one season at a bad D-3 school. He had to leave his FCS school without ever playing because of academics and then left school because he was failing out. If he does get drafted at all, it will be in the 7th round and based entirely on athletic ability. I'm guessing he'll be a camp invite. This guy's only news because it's mid-July.

Thanks for the info. I don't follow the supplemental draft nearly as much as the actual draft but his name was one I was somewhat familiar with. Just not sure where he was going to go.

This guy's only news because it's mid-July.
Yeah, this applies to most supplemental draft prospects. Anybody remember Harvey Unga? There were people who wanted to use a second round pick to get him. The Bears got him in the seventh and he hasn't played in an NFL game.

so the jets are going to burn a 1st round pick on him?

Nobody was picked. Those players are now free agents.

I'd like to see the Patriots take a flyer on the toilet clogger.

Maybe. There are plenty of teams that need help along the DL.

I agree with that but really don't know much about him, however i think that primetime just outlined why he will likely be around if they want to take aa flyer on him. I could see using a 5th or 6th if they think he can get his act together, you don't find many guys who have that size and skills, but it could easily be a wasted pick.

We've urinated away many a 5th. Use it!

I agree with that but really don't know much about him, however i think that primetime just outlined why he will likely be around if they want to take aa flyer on him. I could see using a 5th or 6th if they think he can get his act together, you don't find many guys who have that size and skills, but it could easily be a wasted pick.

His skills at... dunking a basketball?

He made it through. So, if his #1 skill is dunking a basketball, or it's dunking a doughnut, who cares? Bring him in and take a look.

And lose a roster spot on the 90 for key cogs like Seali Espenesa or Jordan Devey?

Is it true this dude benched 47 reps and ran a sub 5.0 40 at 350 lbs?? If it is I would sign him to a 3 yr $4 million deal in .03 seconds. Just to beat any other offers. That kind of power and athleticism is very rare regardless where he played or didn't play.

If he can be coached up and convert that power/explosion to football he could be an all time steal. If it doesn't work out its not a big deal. $3-4 is wasted all the time on draft picks and Ryan Wendall's who have no reward factor. Better to lose the $$ than a couple yrs from now this guy becoming a destroyer and thinking we could have signed that animal cheap.

Larry Allen was very close to being a supplemental pick if he wasn't allowed another year at his division 3 school after poor grades. He was a 320 lb monster benching 44 reps and running a sub 5.0 40. He was projected a late round pick or ufa. Jimmy Johnson was taking no chances on losing that animal and drafted him in round 2. Larry struggled with technique his rookie year but we all know the rest of the story.

Same deal when Jimmy drafted Erik Williams. He came very close to being kicked out of his division 3 school for grades. Jimmy drafted him in round 2 and a season later he was shutting out Reggie White.

If this guy really ran a sub 5.0 40 and dunks a basketball and benches 47 reps that's some serious raw power/athleticism. Would you want this guy terrorizing the Patriot OLine as a Jet over Ryan Wendall $$. He could be converted to guard as well. I'm always for drafting for upside and coaching staff doing their jobs.

Is it true this dude benched 47 reps and ran a sub 5.0 40 at 350 lbs?? If it is I would sign him to a 3 yr $4 million deal in .03 seconds. Just to beat any other offers. That kind of power and athleticism is very rare regardless where he played or didn't play. If he can be coached up and convert that power/explosion to football he could be an all time steal. If it doesn't work out its not a big deal. $3-4 is wasted all the time on draft picks and Ryan Wendall's who have no reward factor. Better to lose the $$ than a couple yrs from now this guy becoming a destroyer and thinking we could have signed that animal cheap. Larry Allen was very close to being a supplemental pick if he wasn't allowed another yr at his division 3 school after poor grades. He was a 320lb monster benching 44 reps and running a sub 5.0 40. He was projected a late round pick or ufa. Jimmy Johnson was taking no chances on losing that animal and drafted him in round2. Larry struggled with technique his rookie year but we all know the rest of the story. Same deal when jimmy drafted Erik Williams. He came very close to being kicked out of his division 3 school for grades. Jimmy drafted him in round2 and a season later he was shutting out Reggie White. If this guy really ran a sub5.0 40 and dunks a basketball and benches 47 reps that's some serious raw power/athleticism. Would you want this guy terrorizing the patriot OLine as a jet over ryan wendall $$. He could be converted to guard as well. I'm always for drafting for upside and coaching staff doing their jobs.
But then they have to play him during the regular season even if he sucks so he's ready to dominate the playoffs, right?

If he sucks he doesn't play, simple as that. Patriots payed many players before that sucked and had zero upside. At least he has upside and a high ceiling. $$ was payed to Wendall/Conolly have no upside and unfortunately they played in the playoffs.

Before anybody gets carried away I'm not sure if those workout #'s are real yet. I said if they are we should definitely sign him because he would be a rare athlete. The risk would be low but reward unlimited.

Last I checked talent wins games. And I never said play a guy who sucks. I said if he makes consistent splash plays but makes some mistakes you let him play and iron out the wrinkles so after 16 games he is experienced and improved through harnessing his talent and craft the coaching staff has been coaching him. By playoff time he has had a full season to work out rookie kinks and putting his talent/craft to use. Therefore a much better player all around after 16 games a load of first team practice reps.

Of course if a guy is as raw as this guy he needs a season of coaching/working before taking the field. I wasn't for sitting Buchanan down who was making impact plays in favor of a useless has been who knew the schemes but did a pile of nothing on the field.

Last edited:
If he sucks he doesn't play simple as that. Patriots payed many players before that sucked and had zero upside. At least he has upside and a high ceiling. $$ was payed to Wendall/Conolly have no upside and unfortunately they played in the playoffs. Before anybody gets carried away I'm not sure if those workout #'s are real yet. I said if they are we should definitely sign him because he would be a rare athlete. The risk would be low but reward unlimited. Last I checked talent wins games.
So where would you have drafted Lawrence Okoye in the draft last year?

all this "information" on Ross emanates from THIS web blog...

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014...s-nfl-supplemental-draft-jets-reportedly-like.

Odd that a so-called Patriots fan would be deep inside a Gang Green Jets fan site and sourcing information as factual HERE at Patsfans. The author of this blog quotes some kid named Jake Steinberg in a tweet that purports that Ross benched 225 forty seven times. No link to official, verifiable sources, just Jake Steinberg, tweeter.

Here is the REAL time he put up in the forty...

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/7/10/5884089/lakendrick-ross-nfl-supplemental-draft-2014[/b]

Ross believed his pro day went well, where he measured an 83.5 inch wingspan. He also ran an unofficial 1.81 in the 10-yard split and between a 5.4 and 5.5 in the 40-yard dash, per Damond Talbot of NFL Draft Diamonds.

OK, contrast that with THIS from Greenie Moron heaven and the ORIGINAL article used a a "source"..

As the tweet states, Ross is an absolute house of a man at 6-5, 365. He also put on a show at a workout where he repped 47 times, ran a sub-5.0 40.

OK, he DID NOT run a sub 5.0 forty so we're supposed to believe he repped 225 forty seven times because some geeky gawkaloid with a twitter acoount says so? Is THIS what our board has become, a dumping ground for outright lunatic fringe idiocy?

Pats Pulpit has about as correct a take on this kid as I have read so far. The thought is sign him as an undrafted free agent and stash him for a year to see if his talents can be furthered along.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/7/9/5883611/patriots-attend-pro-day-of-lakendrick-ross

Ross ran a 5.0 forty when he was a college sophomore playing at 330 pounds...here's the rest..pay attention to the bench press top weight..

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1865092/lakendrick-ross

OK, for those of you who are athletes and know their way around a weight room, if your upper limit on the bench is 365, then it is PREPOSTEROUS to think that 47 reps at 225 is also possible. I benched 405 when I was FIFTY years old and repped out at 19 max at 225.

This whole story is half bullshyt and half "if/then" supposition. Here, read THIS from another supposedly informative official NFL info site...

https://sports.vice.com/article/nfl...rying-to-prove-hes-not-just-a-workout-warrior

Yup, there's the 47 reps alright...and now his max is 405...but HOLY COW look at that forty...4.51 !!!

"Ross, who can do 47 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press, maxes out at 405, and allegedly runs the 40 in 4.51 seconds, is holding a Pro Day today. "

Yes, it's all true. Jeezus krist, you want to get rich quick? Just post that Storrow Drive is for sale for a 100 bucks a mile. Stick that up here and Patriots Planet, retire to Bora Bora and your own lagoon hut palace.

I didn't find his max. I was just looking for quick basic info of supplemental guys available. If he is doing 47 reps his max should be at least 505.

To answer your question I would have drafted Okoye in the Jemea Thomas slot.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back