PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Statement on Pats/Rams taping story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people use more than one source of electronic media for their entertainment and news sources, btw! ;)

Anyways, espn must have updated espn.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/news/story?id=3227245

This story includes the Pats response as well as the NFL's response.

Hardly a "balanced" headline, of course. ESPN, like all media outlets, is looking for drama to get ratings/money.

I know, that was why I also mentioned CNNSI. :)

Anyway, in this article, even Drew Bledsoe says it wasn't a big deal. And it's not like him and BB send each other Christmas cards or anything.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3227592

It also mentions an "anonymous" former Pats backup QB who says the signal stealing was really bad. Hmm...who have been the backups since BB got there...John Friez (sp?), Michael Bishop, Rohan Davey, Damon Huard, Vinny T, and Flutie are the only ones I can come up with. I doubt Vinny or Flutie would have said anything. I HIGHLY doubt anyone is asking John Friez's opinion. So that leaves Davey, Bishop, and Huard (and whoever I am forgetting). IF the "stolen" signals had that big of an advantage, wouldn't these guys have been better while they were here?

I know, that was why I also mentioned CNNSI. :)

Anyway, in this article, even Drew Bledsoe says it wasn't a big deal. And it's not like him and BB send each other Christmas cards or anything.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3227592

It also mentions an "anonymous" former Pats backup QB who says the signal stealing was really bad. Hmm...who have been the backups since BB got there...John Friez (sp?), Michael Bishop, Rohan Davey, Damon Huard, Vinny T, and Flutie are the only ones I can come up with. I doubt Vinny or Flutie would have said anything. I HIGHLY doubt anyone is asking John Friez's opinion. So that leaves Davey, Bishop, and Huard (and whoever I am forgetting). IF the "stolen" signals had that big of an advantage, wouldn't these guys have been better while they were here?

Drew could have been even more matter of fact. He was on the headset with Brady all season. If there were signals being communicated, Drew would have heard them... If there were signals to be communicated, Drew would have appeared to be able to read a defense.

You gotta love how Mr. Jezus loves me is potentially blaming the downturn in his and Martz careers on this...

"Warner says he remembers little from the walk-through, other than that the offense ran some of its red zone plays.

Even if that practice had been taped and was available to the Patriots, the advantage might not have been significant, as the Rams weren't in position to use their red zone offense until the fourth quarter."

"If teams kept their signals the same, then you could get a bead on them and be able to have that information," Warner says. "It would be a distinct advantage."

Of course, as Roger Goodell noted yesterday, if teams did this they would be IDIOTS...

"Warner says he has no insight into the Patriots' methods, although he has heard from quarterbacks who gained an advantage because their teams stole signals.

"I've actually talked to people this year that said they played on teams that had the other team's signals," Warner says. "So as the quarterback, you go up to the line of scrimmage, and they're telling you in your helmet what coverage you are going to see, what play to check to. And those are obviously distinct advantages -- when you know what a team is going to do before you run a play and you have an idea as the quarterback where they are going to go, where you should go with the football. Now, bottom line: You still have to execute. You still have to react. You still have to block, throw and catch it. But it is a huge advantage."

And you know what, Kurt, Commissioner Goodell should have you over for coffee on Monday so you can give him the names of the QB's and teams you are aware have been doing this..."

As Warner paints the picture, that Super Bowl wasn't like any other loss. It derailed a franchise and damaged careers and reputations.

"Let's just say, for instance, that what they did had an effect on the second Super Bowl that I played in," Warner says. "And then to see the course of my career from that point forward -- there was some dramatic changes. Had I won two Super Bowls, some of the things may not have happened through the course of my career. Now, obviously, I put my faith and trust in a much higher source than any cheating that is going on, and believe that God has a distinct purpose in what goes on. But I'm just one example of how our situation in St. Louis deteriorated after the loss of that Super Bowl.

What a freakin' loser whiner. Your career went in the can because you were hurt all the time and the league caught up with your one trick pony HC who can't even run an offense any more.

"After we lost the Super Bowl, the organization went into a little bit of a downward spiral, as you see with a lot of teams that lose the Super Bowl. You see how career situations were altered after losing that game. You look at Mike Martz. If he is a Super Bowl winner, that is a whole different thing. Or just maybe guys, that was their only chance to be in a Super Bowl. And to go away losing it instead of winning it, that is a huge deal.

Jeezus freakin' keerist, look in the friggin' mirror you loser. Your team didn't go into a little bit of a downward spiral, it went down the crapper and it's still swirling around down there 7 years later... What was wrong with your team was a total lack of accountability. Your soft receivers got smacked in the mouth and they didn't like it. You sat on the bench and whined about it. And your genius offensive HC did nothing to counter it. And if Willie hadn't held Marshall you would have fumbled into a three score margin in the 4th. And after our valient defense ran out of gas and you climbed back into a tie, your braindead leader played prevent D and let a veritable rookie pinned on his own 17 with a minute seventeen and no time outs left dink and dunk the friggin ball down to the 29 and kick your sorry asses to the curb. Wahhhhhhhhh...

Hopefully Lienart can get his head out of his ass this season and plant this turds whining ass permanently on the bench.

Drew could have been even more matter of fact. He was on the headset with Brady all season. If there were signals being communicated, Drew would have heard them... If there were signals to be communicated, Drew would have appeared to be able to read a defense.

You gotta love how Mr. Jezus loves me is potentially blaming the downturn in his and Martz careers on this...

"Warner says he remembers little from the walk-through, other than that the offense ran some of its red zone plays.

Even if that practice had been taped and was available to the Patriots, the advantage might not have been significant, as the Rams weren't in position to use their red zone offense until the fourth quarter."

"If teams kept their signals the same, then you could get a bead on them and be able to have that information," Warner says. "It would be a distinct advantage."

Of course, as Roger Goodell noted yesterday, if teams did this they would be IDIOTS...

"Warner says he has no insight into the Patriots' methods, although he has heard from quarterbacks who gained an advantage because their teams stole signals.

"I've actually talked to people this year that said they played on teams that had the other team's signals," Warner says. "So as the quarterback, you go up to the line of scrimmage, and they're telling you in your helmet what coverage you are going to see, what play to check to. And those are obviously distinct advantages -- when you know what a team is going to do before you run a play and you have an idea as the quarterback where they are going to go, where you should go with the football. Now, bottom line: You still have to execute. You still have to react. You still have to block, throw and catch it. But it is a huge advantage."

And you know what, Kurt, Commissioner Goodell should have you over for coffee on Monday so you can give him the names of the QB's and teams you are aware have been doing this..."

As Warner paints the picture, that Super Bowl wasn't like any other loss. It derailed a franchise and damaged careers and reputations.

"Let's just say, for instance, that what they did had an effect on the second Super Bowl that I played in," Warner says. "And then to see the course of my career from that point forward -- there was some dramatic changes. Had I won two Super Bowls, some of the things may not have happened through the course of my career. Now, obviously, I put my faith and trust in a much higher source than any cheating that is going on, and believe that God has a distinct purpose in what goes on. But I'm just one example of how our situation in St. Louis deteriorated after the loss of that Super Bowl.

What a freakin' loser whiner. Your career went in the can because you were hurt all the time and the league caught up with your one trick pony HC who can't even run an offense any more.

"After we lost the Super Bowl, the organization went into a little bit of a downward spiral, as you see with a lot of teams that lose the Super Bowl. You see how career situations were altered after losing that game. You look at Mike Martz. If he is a Super Bowl winner, that is a whole different thing. Or just maybe guys, that was their only chance to be in a Super Bowl. And to go away losing it instead of winning it, that is a huge deal.

Jeezus freakin' keerist, look in the friggin' mirror you loser. Your team didn't go into a little bit of a downward spiral, it went down the crapper and it's still swirling around down there 7 years later... What was wrong with your team was a total lack of accountability. Your soft receivers got smacked in the mouth and they didn't like it. You sat on the bench and whined about it. And your genius offensive HC did nothing to counter it. And if Willie hadn't held Marshall you would have fumbled into a three score margin in the 4th. And after our valient defense ran out of gas and you climbed back into a tie, your braindead leader played prevent D and let a veritable rookie pinned on his own 17 with a minute seventeen and no time outs left dink and dunk the friggin ball down to the 29 and kick your sorry asses to the curb. Wahhhhhhhhh...

Hopefully Lienart can get his head out of his ass this season and plant this turds whining ass permanently on the bench.

Was Martz fired after the Superbowl? I don't remember, but I don't think he was. So there was NEXT YEAR. You know, we lost some killer playoff games these last two years. We didn't even make the playoffs after the first SB win. But we retooled, refocused and came back to compete.

This DIPSH IT honestly believes that his whole life would have been different if they had just won that darn Superbowl. Unbelievable. Just incredible. Really. Teams like the Buffalo Bills who went to FOUR STRAIGHT SBs and managed to get back there each time after crushing losses (especially that first one) have got to be incredulous reading that.

I know the pats have been relatively quiet, but u know they gotta be holding their own cards right now...if anyone's worried bout what might come out once the season ends be sure the PATS are smart enough and informed enough to know exactly what to do in this situation.

Why aren't the mods merging all these freaking rams bs stories into one mega "waste of freaking time" thread? It's on every other freaking thread in this forum.

We should be excited, 19-0 and all that.Criminey.

Was Martz fired after the Superbowl? I don't remember, but I don't think he was. So there was NEXT YEAR. You know, we lost some killer playoff games these last two years. We didn't even make the playoffs after the first SB win. But we retooled, refocused and came back to compete.

This DIPSH IT honestly believes that his whole life would have been different if they had just won that darn Superbowl. Unbelievable. Just incredible. Really. Teams like the Buffalo Bills who went to FOUR STRAIGHT SBs and managed to get back there each time after crushing losses (especially that first one) have got to be incredulous reading that.

No, Martz stayed on at least 2 more seasons. Martz was fired because he refused to manage the game with any common sense and the cat was out of the bag on how to play the Rams. PHYSICAL

Martz would burn all his timeouts up in the 1st and 3rd quarters on dumb things. The conventional laws of clock manangement and field position didnt apply to Mike Martz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes