PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Sports Channel dissifies Richard Seymour

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just like how he points out that Seymour struggles to stay with receivers. Thats one of my biggest crticisms of Wilfork and Warren, for some reason they just can't stay with the WR. :bricks:

Warren, sure. Wilfork is a virtual shutdown though.

Terrible article, and I'm not saying that because I'm in love with Seymour. There are so many things wrong with this:
2. He's only played a complete season twice. While true, he played 15 games in two other seasons. He's also played 12 and 13 in two other seasons, respectively. The 2007 season withstanding, he hasn't missed much time at all. For a DE, a guy who is getting pushed around and ends up on the bottom of piles and 300 lbs. linemen, I'd say he's pretty durable.
Actually, he's played in 15 games THREE other seasons (2003, 2004 and 2008). So he has played in 15 or 16 games five out of his eight years.

J D Sal

Actually, he's played in 15 games THREE other seasons (2003, 2004 and 2008). So he has played in 15 or 16 games five out of his eight years.

J D Sal

Thanks for the correction. It only makes the article even more ridiculous.

A defensive end is supposed to get sacks.

It's always nice when someone's first sentence can be so dumb that you immediately realize that there's no point in reading the rest of the text. The author clearly doesn't understand how the 3-4 works.

I just like how he points out that Seymour struggles to stay with receivers. Thats one of my biggest crticisms of Wilfork and Warren, for some reason they just can't stay with the WR. :bricks:

These darn 300 pound linemen can't stay with 190 pound receivers, they're garbage.

It's always nice when someone's first sentence can be so dumb that you immediately realize that there's no point in reading the rest of the text. The author clearly doesn't understand how the 3-4 works.

True.:agree:

The guy is completely right.

No, he's not. And weren't you the one who claimed that SDeymour was over-rated only to be shot down by others, including myself? And we actually provided facts to support our opinions. Something you weren't bothered enough to do?

Lets not forget wideouts aint the only receivers.

So you expect Seymour to have the following responsibilities :

1) Take on 2 interior offensive linemen almost EVERY single play

2) Be the strong side (right side--statistically) of the run stuffing duties

3) Rush, pressure, and sack the Quarterback

4) Come up with backfield tackles for losses on a consistent basis

5) Be "THE" leader on one of the nastiest D-Lines in the league by being the longest tenured player, and arguably most valuable. He has played ALL 3 of the D-Line positions

6) Come in to block on goal line situations a la Hochstein

AND...

7) Accept pass covering responsibilities on the 1st line of a 3 line defense, for which 4 or 5 guys are playing the secondary, with a middle line of LB's???

WOW!!!

And some here claim he's not earning his whole paycheck, or that he can be more easily replaced than an above average NT

Maybe he can back up Brady this year, be our punter, and line up in the wildcat for ya?

If you're going to complain about a player, at least have some understanding of the game that we are discussing here

Last edited:
Channing Crowder (Miami Dolphins)

To think that this guy is any good blows me away. His presence on the football field is questionable to say the least. He is not mentioned as a great linebacker, but he's given too much credit for doing absolutely nothing. He watches quarterbacks throw over his head and running backs blow by him.

He's pathetic, that's all it comes down to.

^Honorable Mention in most overrated LB. LOL.

Last edited:
Too bad the WRs don't have to BLOCK Wilfork/Warren.

Do you think even a whole receiving corps would be able to block Wilfork without tripping him? That would be funny to watch =)

That would be like a Toyota Prius trying to block an oncoming tractor-trailer.

Last edited:
Warren, sure. Wilfork is a virtual shutdown though.

The only way to show this guy up is to swap Seymour with Merriweather. How would that look...Merriweather with his hand on the ground lined upnext to Wilfork getting ready to bullrush and take on 2 300-lb tackles while Seymour runs around trying to watch for the run and cover a slot receiver at the same time. Yeah that might work.:rolleyes:

If I didn't have to register on that silly web site, I would have cut that sucka up. He has obviously never even watched Richard Seymour play. I feel like writing to bleacher report so they never post any of his material again. What a chump.

The only way to show this guy up is to swap Seymour with Merriweather. How would that look...Merriweather with his hand on the ground lined upnext to Wilfork getting ready to bullrush and take on 2 300-lb tackles while Seymour runs around trying to watch for the run and cover a slot receiver at the same time. Yeah that might work.:rolleyes:

Vince can play every position on the field. Nose tackle is too crucial to risk him pulling a hammy shutting T.O. down, though.

So you expect Seymour to have the following responsibilities :

1) Take on 2 interior offensive linemen almost EVERY single play

2) Be the strong side (right side--statistically) of the run stuffing duties

3) Rush, pressure, and sack the Quarterback

4) Come up with backfield tackles for losses on a consistent basis

5) Be "THE" leader on one of the nastiest D-Lines in the league by being the longest tenured player, and arguably most valuable. He has played ALL 3 of the D-Line positions

6) Come in to block on goal line situations a la Hochstein

AND...

7) Accept pass covering responsibilities on the 1st line of a 3 line defense, for which 4 or 5 guys are playing the secondary, with a middle line of LB's???

WOW!!!

And some here claim he's not earning his whole paycheck, or that he can be more easily replaced than an above average NT

Maybe he can back up Brady this year, be our punter, and line up in the wildcat for ya?

If you're going to complain about a player, at least have some understanding of the game that we are discussing here

This pretty much sums it up right here.

the article is meant to inflame.......why else would nobody put their name on it?
There's a "source" link at the end of the article where you'll find that the writer's name is Andy Rarick on the Bleacher Report. If you want to give him a kick, he's seems game to repsonding to his criticisms.

There's a "source" link at the end of the article where you'll find that the writer's name is Andy Rarick on the Bleacher Report. If you want to give him a kick, he's seems game to repsonding to his criticisms.

I should have known. The only articles I automatically write off are Bleacher Report stories. They are consistently awful.

This is the comment I posted:

Look, your analysis on Richard Seymour may be the worst I've ever seen. He isn't a hybrid, he doesn't have any coverage responsibilities. He is a 3-4 defensive end. His job is to control two gaps as well as contain. He is not supposed to get sacks. The fact that he had eight last year is terrific for a defensive end in the 3-4. He gets constantly double teamed because he IS that good at what he does. You seriously need to get back down to basics when it comes to understanding football, at least the 3-4. Richard Seymour is considered a tweener in the 4-3, but he is a perfect fit in the 3-4.

It really just frustrates me seeing you give a "scouting report" when you clearly haven't seen the guy play.

That website looks like a complete rip-off of ESPN's website. Click on their front page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back