PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Sports Channel dissifies Richard Seymour

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Evauluating the NFL’s Most Overrated and Underrated Players on Defense | NFL Sport Channel

Defensive End

Most Overrated: Richard Seymour (New England Patriots)

A defensive end is supposed to get sacks. They should help out the passing game and contribute a little to the rushing game. I know this is probably the biggest shocker, but the fact is over this guys' career, he's struggled to get five sacks in a season.

He's only done it four years out of his eight year career. The most sacks he has accumulated in a single season is eight which he has done twice.

At 6'6" and 310 pounds, he's one of the biggest defensive ends in the NFL. New England runs a 3-4 scheme, but this guy could be a better fit in a 4-3. He is not a coverage guy. He struggles to stay with receivers and finds himself out of place too often.

If he were allowed to strictly be a defensive end instead of a hybrid, he could be much better.

Like Haynesworth, he struggles to stay healthy. He's only played two full seasons in eight.

Don't shoot the messenger. This is just someone's opinion.

This guy obviously doesn't realize that DE's in a 3-4 don't normally get sacks. Take a look around the NFL and you will see that most 3-4 DE's have a low sack total. In fact, it's extremely rare if a DE has more than 5 sacks. This guy is a complete moron! Seymour finally got healthy and posted 8 sacks as a 3-4 DE, which is really outstanding. In addition, there really wasn't any help from his LB's to apply pressure as well. So what does that tell you? Seymour is great when healthy. Also, I don't agree that Seymour is injured all the time. He gets nicked up every now and then, but it's not ridiculous like this guy thinks. Seymour suffered one bad injury that kept him out for 6 weeks. I have said this before and I will say it again, when the Pats get OLB's that can rush the passer, it will free up Seymour and he will really dominate. When your 3-4 DE is your only hope for a pass rush, it's kind of hard to be consistent.

Last edited:
Well there's someone who doesn't know what a DE's role in 3-4 defense is.

Having just tried to read the rest of his list it's clear he doesn't know anything about anything.

Last edited:
Wow! So DEs in a two gap 3-4 system is supposed to get sacks?!? DEs in a two gap 3-4 system is supposed to help out only a little in the running game?!? Really?!?

Well, I guess if you are completely ignorant of the differences between a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 DE like this author is, I guess you could make a valid point.

I do think it is funny that he would be a better fit in a 4-3 when they are evaluating Seymour on the criteria of a 4-3 player, not a 3-4 one.

the article is meant to inflame.......why else would nobody put their name on it?

To be fair to this guy, he's clearly basing his football knowledge on Madden where, unless your D-Lineman picks up 10+ sacks, he never progresses in his abilities :rolleyes:

Uh....

Pats' DEs are supposed to take up two blockers so that the LBs can roam.

Yet this writer criticizes them based on sack numbers?

Why doesn't he start condemning Brady for his rushing numbers?

The guy obviously doesn't know that there is a difference between a 4-3 and a 3-4 in regards to gap responsibility.

I am willing to bet the list is small with 10+ sack DE's that have played in a 3-4 in NFL history.

Richard Seymour Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Seymour had his second best year as a pro last year.

BTW, Howie Long made the HOF with an average of 6.5 sacks a season. Dan Hampton averaged 5.18 sacks a season in his HOF career (granted he played DT for part of it). So based on this article, neither deserved to be in.

Ironically, sack machine DEs like Kevin Greene and Derrick Thomas struggle to get into the HOF. Greene can't get in and Thomas just got in after five years of eligibility.

Why's the guy saying he struggles in coverage and can't stick with a receiver? Does he realize what a defensive end is?

I just like how he points out that Seymour struggles to stay with receivers. Thats one of my biggest crticisms of Wilfork and Warren, for some reason they just can't stay with the WR. :bricks:

I just like how he points out that Seymour struggles to stay with receivers. Thats one of my biggest crticisms of Wilfork and Warren, for some reason they just can't stay with the WR. :bricks:

Too bad the WRs don't have to BLOCK Wilfork/Warren.

Do you think even a whole receiving corps would be able to block Wilfork without tripping him? That would be funny to watch =)

Another guy that's ticked off over Richard's 9.5mill cap hit

What is dissifies?

And LOL at Seymour not getting enough sacks? Is this for a video game?

I do agree with the Bob Sanders and DeAngelo Hall comments he makes.

I don't think he's the most over-rated, but I also don't think he's the best. I don't think he's gonna be around after next year, especially at $8-$10+ million a year, which I'm sure he'll be looking for.

I guess that Belichek doesn't know what he's doing again, just keeps on playing a vastly overrated player who's double teamed on almost every play.
What a shmuck the Pats have for a coach.

Of course you do, they're not Patriots.

Oh, that's not fair BadMoFo. I've been dogging Hall forever, I watched him play down here in Atlanta and I just think he's a BAD football player.

Sanders, he's a Colt and worthy of Homer Hate, but the guy is made of glass and I did agree with the writers conclusions about his game play.

I'm a Homer, but that's not why I think those 2 are overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots