PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Sets cap at 120.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfaninpa

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Glazer tweeting he expects cap to be 120.6

Not much of an increase at all. Shouldn't hurt us in the least. Could help in fact.

Re: Glazer tweeting he expects cap to be 120.6

Not much of an increase at all. Shouldn't hurt us in the least. Could help in fact.

In a way, the lower the better. A lower cap number is more likely to negatively impact the Jets, Steelers, and Ravens than it would the Pats, who started out in decent cap shape. If those other teams have less room to maneuver then that should by comparison help the Patriots this coming season.

A low cap should help with 3rd wave free agents, but not so much with the first and second waves.*

*Barring collusion, of course

Last edited:

It's going to be a busy 2 days of restructurings and cuts. Most reports were at the 124 million mark, teams were hedging their bets to that mark most likely.

It's going to be a busy 2 days of restructurings and cuts. Most reports were at the 124 million mark, teams were hedging their bets to that mark most likely.

The potential to see a lot more cuts and restructuring in certainly there, but I think that many teams have been hearing that the possibility exists for awhile that the number wouldn't be much, if at all different than last yr.

You cite 124 as a common number, but there have been a lot of good posters around here citing 120--almost on the dot.

I think the majority of teams should have at least prepared for the possibility of 120-123 or so, but your main point is still valid that we may see even more cuts.

A low cap should help with 3rd wave free agents, but not so much with the first and second waves.*

*Barring collusion, of course

Agree about the 1st wave. Some teams have the ability to spend like drunken sailors. After that market disappears. Pats are poised to sign some savvy vets looking for cash who want to play for a winning team.

Agree about the 1st wave. Some teams have the ability to spend like drunken sailors. After that market disappears. Pats are poised to sign some savvy vets looking for cash who want to play for a winning team.

I don't know. Except for a few guys like Mario Williams and Vincent Jackson, I think even the first wave guys may be disappointed in their contract offers.

Is there a place with every teams updated cap, I've been looking... (with all the steelers restructures, the Raiders cuts, Chiefs signing Routt, all the tags, etc.)

Wonder if any teams are still over.

Is there a place with every teams updated cap, I've been looking... (with all the steelers restructures, the Raiders cuts, Chiefs signing Routt, all the tags, etc.)

Wonder if any teams are still over.

I believe the Raiders are still over but closing in on just under when they release Wimbley. Palmer also restructured and saved them several million, albeit at the cost of guaranteeing they are stuck with him for the next couple of seasons ala Sanchez. The Steelers are I believe around $12M under. The Chief's are still well under and have around $35M+ in space counting their carryover.

Everyone will be at or under come 4PM EST on Tuesday. There should be a leak on cap position for all 32 at that point league wide.

I don't know. Except for a few guys like Mario Williams and Vincent Jackson, I think even the first wave guys may be disappointed in their contract offers.

I agree. FO's are a little spooked by the flatness of the cap and that is probably leading them to question if it will go up at all in 2013 and if media guesstimates of how much it will spike in 2014 are as is often the case wildly inflated. And several teams have already spent a substantial chunk of that increase by pushing out bonus amortization in the present ergo creating dead cap to free up cap in the here and now. Not to mention with a third of the league in FA, it's a buyers market with the exception of QB's...

The league confirmed the cap # earlier today and has now released the official tag #'s. Welker will make $9.515M under the tag. Still no word on the RFA tender official #'s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes