PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL rules legal hit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so STUPID!

Will it make ANY DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER if they fine Pollard 10K?

No.

If Wilfork's hit was "illegal" so then was this one. If Wilfork was fined by the league and had people around the league call him "dirty" the same rules and fate should be applied in this case and befall Pollard. I was of the opinion that Wilfork's hit was legal as I am now of Pollard's hit but by the league definition the same rules that applied to Wilfork should apply in this case. The league finding in this case is very hypocritical. In addition it seems to me that BB, although he didn't come out and say it in his 3 pm press conference today, also feels that this particular play was a fineable offense because he compared it to Wilfork's hit on Losman.

In the big picture the ruling is meaningless because nothing will bring Tom back to us this season. :( But in my opinion if the rule is a player can't go at a QBs legs then I don't see how that's not a fine? He was lying on the ground & clearly dived at Brady's legs.

Here's a copy of it for those who haven't registered:

FOXBOROUGH – Nose tackle Vince Wilfork spoke passionately today about the Bernard Pollard hit that knocked Tom Brady out for the season.

Wilfork was fined last season for a hit on Bills quarterback J.P. Losman, and he was asked how fine a line it is between trying to make a play, and being fined for an illegal hit.

“Last year, I was there, I was tripped up and falling and I still got fined and flagged for the same exact thing. But I was tripped up. I didn’t dive at anyone’s legs, I didn’t cut a running back getting to a quarterback. And when I got fined last year, they said I got flagged because you’re not allowed to hit a quarterback below the waist,” Wilfork said.

“You take it for what it’s worth. I’ve been in that same position and been flagged and fined for it, so whatever happens, happens. I’m very interested to see what happens.”

Wilfork was then informed that the NFL ruled the hit legal.

“Well, it’s a problem. It’s going to be a problem,” he said. “Like I said, I’ve been there.”

Wilfork’s emotions were building a bit, perhaps due to the scrutiny he faced last year.

“You saw what I had to go through, hitting the quarterback below the waist last year. It wasn’t my fault … but I got flagged, a 15-yard unsportsmanlike for hitting the quarterback and I got fined, no if’s, and’s or but’s about it. Like I said, it’s very interesting to see what the NFL is going to do. They know they got me last year. I’m going to be on this one.

“Fair should be fair. They got me, point blank. I don’t want to get singled out. Don’t make me feel like I’m getting singled out. If you’re going to do a job, be consistent at what you do. This falls into the same category as mine, no if’s, and’s or but’s. He hit the quarterback below the waist. I hit a quarterback below the waist. I got fined. I got flagged. He didn’t get flagged. And from what I’m hearing, he didn’t get fined.

“It’s a problem. So the NFL can do what it wants to do, but it’s a problem. If you're going to make that call, be consistent with that call. He was there. He could have thrown the flag. ... We'll see where it goes. I'm [upset] about it because I've been through this."

Chris Collinsworth on NFL Night in Amercia, last night. He said he talked with Mike Pereira, Head of NFL officiating, and they said it was a clean hit.

I don't know why Reiss did not blog it, ask him.

This was not Godell's call, it was Pereira's.

I forgot to bring my Pat's Fan card, crica 1971, to work but I can fax you a copy tommorrow to validate my posts. ;)

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just sick of it. In hidesight - You were reporting a story and I should have thanked you for that, just a little punchy today. It's hard being a Pats fan Atlanta today. I'm taking more sh!t than normal and I can't fall back on my Trump Card - Tom Brady.
I could care less about Cris Collingsworth...OR for that matter Pereira..obviously CC is in Pereira's pocket..we know where he stands. They reported this on WEEI, the sports station as well as Reiss..obviously they don't care about Collingsworth either...so IT WAS news.. Actually, I am sure Goodell has a lot to do with it...I didn't know Pereira was Commish. Did I miss something?? Good that you have been a fan since then..but it was you that said..."The only question that really needs to be answered is, are you a fan or not?"...and I was answering that. I think ALL Patriot fans are punchy today..it's a shocjk..a large one..what teh NFL does doesn't cgange the fact that Brady is gone for teh season, but it shows how mismanaged they are..and how they say one thing do another..As far as I am concerned..in many ways I hope the NFL ratings tank..THAT seems to be the ONLY important thing to Goodell..If Manning isn't good, Brady gone..SD not good CBS will take a bath and THAt will not help the NFL. Hnag in there it's mighty tough outside of New England..frankly, it''s pathetic that people are cheering at this shows HOW BAD their teams are.

They didn't fine Wilfork for violating the rule against unimpeded rushers going low. They fined him for unsportsmanlike conduct - the same reason they fined him for poking Brandon Jacobs in the eye. The fine was because he shoved his elbow out into Losman's knee. (don't give me the BS about "he was trying to break his fall", either - nobody tries to break their fall with their elbow).

But yes, I'm a homer. So are all the Pats fans who've been saying the same thing as me. It's you Patriots fans all pissed about this who are the objective ones. The rest of the world is crazy

First it was his forearm.

But, the stupidity of this post is astounding. No one breaks their fall with their elbow? Huh? They break it with whatever they can. Why? Because they're falling. Duh.

Get your brain checked.

F*ck NFL. Double standard. They go along with Pats haters. F**k them all. They can go to hell.

here is a link to where Reiss first reported why and how much Wilfork was fined for his hit on Losman. Now this is not a direct quote from the NFL as to the reason, however, Reiss does say that it was for a low hit. So I am sure that was the reason given by the NFL.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/09/wilfork_fined.html

September 27, 2007
Wilfork fined
The NFL has fined Patriots nose tackle Vince Wilfork $12,500 for his low hit on Bills quarterback J.P. Losman in Sunday's game, the league confirmed today.

The hit came on the first play of the game, with Wilfork lined up over center Melvin Fowler. Losman dropped back to pass and found running back Marshawn Lynch for a 4-yard gain to his right. As the play unfolded, Wilfork appeared to beat Fowler to his left, and was off his feet as he approached Losman (Wilfork said he was tripped and had another player hitting his leg). As he was in the air, Wilfork's right elbow flexed and made contact with Losman's left knee.

Earlier today, Wilfork said his intention was not to hurt Losman. He said he's attempted to speak with Losman but has yet to connect with him

does anyone here have a link to both Wilforks hit on Losman and Pollards hits Brady? I know, I know, this wont bring back Brady. But like many of you, I feel the NFL is committing a double standard here. And it would be interesting to see the plays back to back to compare them. I'd look them up myself, but I am still at work and my company filters out alot of the sights where I could probably find them.

Last edited:
Mike Pereira is nothing more than a toady for league HQ - a face & a voice to parade before the public to assure them that the men officiating their games are neither incompetant nor corrupted. I've known better, in both cases, for over 2 1/2 years now. The words of that splineless snake-oil-selling jaggoff, like those of the control-freak scum Omissioner, carry less than zero weight with me.

I saw most of BB's PC on the NFLN, during which the hit was shown constantly. If that hit weren't illegal, then it should be. If the QB is merely standing, in the pocket, and looking to throw - NOT run, then a defender should NOT be allowed to hit that QB at or below his knee, esp. with his helmet. As soon as the QB makes an attempt to escape the pocket, then he would be considered fair game and treated like any other ball-carrier.

And after further review during the PC, there is one other thing I know: Pollard knew exactly what he was doing then, and knows exactly what he is doing now: covering his azz. Was that hit delivered with season-ending intentions? As the HC might say, you need to take that question to the source.

My unbiased opinion is that Wilfork's hit was worse than Pollard's. Wilfork's just appeared more intentional to hurt the QB. That being said, both deserve a fine IMO. QB's need to be protected by the rules, especially from players lunging at the legs. Regardless folks, it won't make any difference whether or not he's fined at this point.

Unbiased my a-hole.

I am sick of these effin trolls gloating here and telling us how to think & how to feel.

Eff all y'all to Hell. Now bugger-off, scum.

I think the NFL hates the Patriots

My unbiased opinion is that Wilfork's hit was worse than Pollard's. Wilfork's just appeared more intentional to hurt the QB. That being said, both deserve a fine IMO. QB's need to be protected by the rules, especially from players lunging at the legs. Regardless folks, it won't make any difference whether or not he's fined at this point.
Explain why it was worse?? YOUR opinion..

That hit was fine-able. Period.
It was at least comparable to Wilforks.
I don't care if the guy gets fined, and I'm not saying it was intentional, but it was without a doubt fine-able.
Anyone who says it was'nt is full of it.

I think the NFL hates the Patriots

Ya think?

The depths of hatred, for Bill Belichick in particular, to which the Omissioner & league flaks, print, broadcast & on-line media, and some game officials, owners, coaches & players have sunk is frightening in its scope, intensity, and lack of subtlety.

If pollard reached out with his hands rather than lunging at bradys feet do you think brady would be hurt?

probally not, such a dirty hit, and the league will only suffer from plays like this.

The rest of the League "Scouts signals" and the Patriots steal them, need I say more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back