PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Rules Change Again to Try to Hurt Pats: Players Must Wear Numbers at All Practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

aluminum seats

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
No more practicing in numberless jerseys for Bill Belichick's Patriots

Hard not to laugh, really.

It's to "ensure clubs are in compliance with workplace rules." Sure. Whaddya know, Belichick has preferred players not wear numbers in spring practices so they learn to communicate better. Gotta love Reiss' roundabout way of questioning it:

"Those with ties to the Patriots might take it one step further and wonder if it's another example of the NFL creating new standards specifically designed at trying to slow them down."

Yeah, one might wonder that. Keep trying, NFL. Gotta respect the hustle.

This is so the media covering the practices can easily identify individual players and make it easier for fans watching said media footage to tell each player apart.

Not everything is some nebulous anti Patriots conspiracy.

This is so the media covering the practices can easily identify individual players and make it easier for fans watching said media footage to tell each player apart.

If the patriots are the only team not wearing numbers and they make the rule that teams gave tolerant numbers of course it is singling out the patriots.

And people are saying rules are rules and Patriots cheated again when this is a new rule...

BB should just make the numbers the same color as the jersey, when they change the rule specifying contrasting colors, then he just makes them so small you can't see from 2 ft.
Following the rule change, he should just use Chinese numbers.

it's not so much for the media and fans, but so that league official can catch cheating. i wouldn't be surprised if there were some rumors among other teams' GMs/coaches about why the Patriots practice without jersey numbers ("i'll bet the Patriots are practicing injured players!"), and someone complained to the league:

According to NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy, it was instituted to “ensure clubs are in compliance with workplace rules” (e.g. injured players shouldn’t be participating) as it “will permit the league office and NFLPA to monitor player participation during on-field sessions.”

it's not so much for the media and fans, but so that league official can catch cheating. i wouldn't be surprised if there were some rumors among other teams' GMs/coaches about why the Patriots practice without jersey numbers ("i'll bet the Patriots are practicing injured players!"), and someone complained to the league:

Weren't the Ravens the #1 offender of injured players practicing?

they should all wear #1....or #69....or #0.0......or #19 3/4....that'd be funny
12.5.... at this point you just have to say FU to the whole system. What a crying shame. Its just focused on the casual, RaRa fan, who buys merch and who could care less about the actual dynamics of the game. "Yeah, we won". :(:(

Last edited:
The patriots filed an amicus brief in tom Brady's favor.
What else would the NFL do other than to change a rule to proving it sonething only the patriots do and then explain it is designed to catch teams cheating.
I smell the forfeiture of a draft pick coming.

Which do you prefer, suspension or arch bridges?

What's next NFL installed child cams in the indoor facility to monitor hidden practicing?

Shouldn't that only be a concern when they are in an actual game? What's next, tell the media what plays their working on? It's absolutely a ball busting move by the NFL. The NFL does have a record of doing this crap. And I'm not being a paranoid, pitiful fan. It's documented. Even the average non Pats fans are starting to see it. Reiss even alludes to it.

Yep, they're "trying to prevent abuse" -- a kind of abuse that previously nobody had worried or talked about at all.

We see this all the time in politics...when there's a sudden flurry of legislation to prevent a non-existent problem, there's ALWAYS an ulterior motive.

Yep, they're "trying to prevent abuse" -- a kind of abuse that previously nobody had worried or talked about at all.

We see this all the time in politics...when there's a sudden flurry of legislation to prevent a non-existent problem, there's ALWAYS an ulterior motive.
Don't be daft. This is about protecting the integrity of the game. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back