PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL refuses to Cave in to Refs' Union Despite Green Bay -Seattle Debacle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what settles this is they give the grandfathered pensions but won't back down from the backup officials.

I strongly support accountability for the regular officials. I've seen the real officials make these same phantom calls and non-calls as the replacement officials, they just weren't this numerous.

Doesn't matter, rule is it HAS to be inside when it flies over. Crazy you can't review that...

How is it crazy? Go invent a technology that allows us to see the exact moment the ball crosses the crossbar and then it's exact location in relation to the post and THEN come back and say its crazy.

As for the rule, the whole ball has to be inside the outside line of the post. It's impossible to tell...the refs had a 50:50 call and I bet home field had a lot to do with it.

On the Tate catch, in real time we all thought it was simultaneous possession so you can hardly blame the refs for calling it. On replay it is important to remember it isn't an official INT until he comes down with two feet and control...if Tate could have gotten both hands on that ball before that happened then it can be classed as simultaneous....there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the ruling therefore it was the correct decision not to overturn given the fact the obvious PI cannot be reviewed.

I didn't see any mistakes in that game that I haven't seen real refs make.

People need to get over it.

Last edited:
How is it crazy? Go invent a technology that allows us to see the exact moment the ball crosses the crossbar and then it's exact location in relation to the post and THEN come back and say its crazy.

Stick a camera pointing towards the sky on the top of the post.

If its that easy go invent it :)

It doesn't need inventing, you just need to strap a camera that all TV companies have facing skyward onto the post :p

They already have 1 camera fixed to the crossbar so why not 2 more on the posts?

all you really need is a laser that can be turned on that extends the goal post skyward.....pretty simple, technology exists

the NFL is using the pension fund squeeze to try and push through the accountability piece

KEEP the current pension plan......cost wise it is cheap.....if you must, 401k for new officials, but the cost is so low relative to the NFL, it seems silly

refs need to accept the accountability piece, NFL needs to add a minimum game compensation clause - mostly, imho, because a new system will be imperfect, and you need to account for that......

problem is the refs think they have major leverage....and in the eyes of the players & fans, they do......but the owners wallets are still fat, for now, and i don't think they see the long term threat to that yet

goodell, if he was anything other than a lackey for the owners, would be playing moderator here......but he's a hypocrite corporate lapdog, and is doing jack **** to fix this......in fact, from where i sit he's making it worse

favre.jpg

all you really need is a laser that can be turned on that extends the goal post skyward.....pretty simple, technology exists

What would the laser be connected to?

The ball has to break the connection between 2 points for a laser system to work.

What would the laser be connected to?

The ball has to break the connection between 2 points for a laser system to work.

no it doesn't.....extend the beam upward from the goal post.....turn it on for kicks

visual cues.....replay if needed

extend it from the outside edge of the post.....if the ball passes through the laser (again, visual cue), kick is no good

As for the rule, the whole ball has to be inside the outside line of the post. It's impossible to tell...the refs had a 50:50 call and I bet home field had a lot to do with it.

On the Tate catch, in real time we all thought it was simultaneous possession so you can hardly blame the refs for calling it. On replay it is important to remember it isn't an official INT until he comes down with two feet and control...if Tate could have gotten both hands on that ball before that happened then it can be classed as simultaneous....there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the ruling therefore it was the correct decision not to overturn given the fact the obvious PI cannot be reviewed.

I didn't see any mistakes in that game that I haven't seen real refs make.

People need to get over it.

No need to invent anything. An inexpensive (for a football franchise) redundant array of laser rangefinders connected via wireless (encrypted!!!) to a computer in the ref booth could give an exact answer. Were the NFL as serious about calling the game right as they claim to be in wanting to fire bad refs (I agree with them there) they'd use ubiquitous 21st century tech for lots of tasks in a game. Replay is SO 20th century.

Last edited:
On replay it is important to remember it isn't an official INT until he comes down with two feet and control...

if Tate could have gotten both hands on that ball before that happened then it can be classed as simultaneous....

there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the ruling therefore it was the correct decision not to overturn

If Tate had both hands on the ball and control when Jennings did, then you are right that it can be classed as simultaneous.

What I don't get is your assertion that there wasn't enough evidence to overturn it, when we can clearly see that Jennings catches the ball in the air, completes the catch by falling to his butt without bobbling it, at which time Tate has ONE HAND, not two, on the ball.

Play over. INT. Conclusive.

The NFL had many reasons to stand by the call:

-they need to keep using these guys and don't want to undermine them any more, especially since they have asked everyone else to respect them

-they are in negotiations with the real refs. Admitting just how bad it is undermines their negotiations

-If a video replay was improperly conducted on the final play of a game, and then more video replay shows that replay decision to be wrong (as is the case here), and they admit to that, then logically they could be asked why they do not change the outcome of the game, since no game action occurred after the mistake. Changing the outcome of a game a day later is a precedent that they never ever want to set. People would be forever looking for the next instance when this could occur, and that is unthinkable.

Last edited:
On the topic of the thread, they are arguing over a very small amount of money relative to revenue.

Split the difference and get it done.

120 refs, maybe 30 grand each per year in pension funds, that's 3.6 million per year in total. Compare that to an extra billion earned by televising additional Thursday night games alone.

Goodell is getting a disproportionate amount of the blame for this mess. Could he be more of a leader, and more demanding of the owners? Sure. But ultimately, it's up to the owners to end this mess.

Seeing Jerry Jones get interviewed about the hail mary, which apparently he didn't see even though it was getting shown on not just ESPN & every other news channel a gazillion times & which even Bill Clinton was weighing in on, was a real eye-opener. I get the impression that most of the owners are rich, arrogant men, who don't want to budge out of pride, and are turning a blind eye to their league going down in flames.

an agreement has been reached per EEI ....Mutt and Lou show reporting the refs are back this weekend

the FG call in our game was a call the regular refs may have (50-50) missed it to. Walk under a goal post and look straight up. Now imagine a ball kick coming at an angle high above even the upper limit of the post. Impossible to tell.

Agreed- the field goal call looks wrong, but it was so close that I can't fault the replacements for that. I'm far angrier about the calls leading up to that one (3rd and 15 PI on McCourty, 3rd down penalty on Mayo, Ray Lewis basically tackling Gronk 7-10 yards downfield all game because the refs were too intimidated to call anything on him, Chandler Jones being blatantly held on almost every defensive play) than I am about the end of the game.

Last edited:
an agreement has been reached per EEI ....Mutt and Lou show reporting the refs are back this weekend

Fantastic news if true - ESPN's still just saying that it's 'very close', but if EEI's reporting that it's a done deal, then good enough for me:

Locked-out NFL referees could return as early as this week -- sources - ESPN

According to ESPN:

Both sides have made concessions on previous sticking points such as a taxi squad of 21 new officials and pension plans that sources say the final meaningful hurdle is, as one source said, "about a little more money."

If that's true, and it's purely down to a discussion of money, then it makes sense that a deal could be done by now. If they were able to compromise on everything else, then quibbling over a few million dollars shouldn't last too long.

Also, it appears that the refs have made concessions on the 'taxi squad' issue, which was one of the points that the NFL was demanding that I would like to see. Good news there.

Last edited:
I would say this weekend would be tough because the "weekend" actually starts on Thursday night. If I were an owner or coach or anybody in management for a franchise and my teams had to play with the rep-refs on Thursday night while the other teams got the rel-refs on Sunday and Monday, I would go completely off the deep end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes