PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL refuses Bush's request for #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bush takes whatever # they give him, just like every other rookie. End of story. The NFL has different rules than college because it's not college, it's professional. There is a number system in place. Period. If they had LB's running around with single digit #'s it would look like college - i.e. not professional. If anything, the NCAA should adopt NFL style # rules, not the other way around.

THAT'S why.

CrazyDave said:
Bush takes whatever # they give him, just like every other rookie. End of story. The NFL has different rules than college because it's not college, it's professional. There is a number system in place. Period. If they had LB's running around with single digit #'s it would look like college - i.e. not professional. If anything, the NCAA should adopt NFL style # rules, not the other way around.

THAT'S why.

THAT's profoundly stupid.

"College numbers don't look professional because professionals don't wear them" is totally circular logic and meaningless.

Simply because you are accustomed to seeing college players with certain numbers and NFL players with certain numbers (and liking it that way) isn't a REASON why the distinction exists in the first place. The NFL claims they have a reason for their restrictive system. Someone instituted these rules in the first place. I'd like to know what it is, because nobody seems to know. That's why it seems arbitrary and pointless.

The following are NOT good reasons why this issue exists:

"I like it the way it is."

"That's just the way they do it."

Something better than that would be nice. Again, I'm listening.

Last edited:
Kingasaurus said:
Thanks for your help. :)
No problem. I usually find that quoting Belichick settles most arguments, football or otherwise. Glad I could lend a hand.

Maybe one man's "restrictive" is another man's "orderly".
I don't consider it a "restrictive" system per se.

AzPatsFan said:
Paul Hornung wore #5 because he was a QB. As a matter of fact he was the #1 pick in his draft as a QB. He looked and played like Mike Vick for a couple of years. When Lombardi became the Packer's Coach he said "... Enough! your now a RB..." And made an obscure 15th round pick the starting QB. A guy named Bart Starr, who nobody ever heard of before.
Actually he was a 17th rounder....but VERY true how at that point in time, there were a zillion rounds in the draft.

CrazyDave said:
Maybe one man's "restrictive" is another man's "orderly".
I don't consider it a "restrictive" system per se.

It's more restrictive than college football, and that isn't up for debate.

I don't mind "orderly" as long as you can give me a reason for it. Otherwise, it's just regulatory masturbation.

You could make it even more "orderly". Instead of sharing a set of numbers like they do now, insist that kickers ONLY wear single digits and QB's ONLY wear 10-19. That would definitely qualify as more "orderly", but it would be a totally arbitrary restriction with no reason behind it.

I see no difference between the hypothetical new numbering rule I just proposed and many of the numbering rules the NFL has now. A rule without a solid foundation. It amounts to a "we just feel like it" rule.

I say scrap much of it. Giving players more freedom to pick their favorite numbers in a way that doesn't hurt the game or make anyone's job more difficult in any measurable way. Again, I don't see the harm apart from a blanket "change is bad" opinion, which I don't agree with as a valid reason by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots