PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Records We May Never See Broken - Which one is hardest to break?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which of the NFL Records in this poll do you feel will NEVER be broken in NFL history forever?

1) Jim Brown - Career average 5.22 yards per rushing attempt
2) Jim Marshall - Most consecutive games played (282)
3) Paul Hornung - Most points In A Season (176)
4) Gale Sayers - Highest Career KR Average (30.56)
5) Gary Anderson - The 100% perfect season - PATS/FGS - (to beat attempts made by Gary)
6) Dan Marino - Career Passing Yardage (61,361)
7) Dan Marino - Most Passing Yards In A Season (5,084)
8) Johnny Unitas - Most Consecutive Games Throwing A TD Pass (47)
9) New England Patriots - 21 Game Winning Streak
10) John Elway - 148 Career Quarterback Wins

I think #1 could be broken at a push, but suspect you are right
Jim Marshall's would be practically impossible to beat in an increasingly tough league.
Hornung's is tough, because no one kicks and scores TDs like he did.
#4 is incredibly tough and will become harder to beat with better ST coverage
I would agree on #5.
6 and 7 will be beaten one day, as teams turn more and more to the pass. I'd put money on Manning doing both.
Manning could also beat #8
I want the Pats to be #9. I don't know....
#10 is just plain awesome. Am I right in thinking that he once overturned a 35 point deficit? I think it might have been against Cleveland in the late 80s.

Edit. I think Tomlinson will beat Hornung's record. (Note to self. Check other replies first, THEN post).

Last edited:
Jim Brown's is the only one of these that I'd be surprised to see broken.

Which of the NFL Records in this poll do you feel will NEVER be broken in NFL history forever?

5) Gary Anderson - The 100% perfect season - PATS/FGS - (to beat attempts made by Gary)

Wow. Thanks. Every now and then someone starts a thread that really gets me thinking. This is one of those. I approached it by trying to rank order the chances that a record will go.

First of all, we're asked to say if these are records that will "never" be broken. Not, if it's "unlikely" or even "highly unlikely" that they will be broken, but that they will "never" be broken. That's a high burden to prove.

I came to the conclusion that seven of the records might fall (even if chances are slim that they will) and that three would never fall.

6) and 7): I think Marino's records will be surpassed by some combination of Favre and Manning, so they will probably fall. 75% chance on 6) and 50-50 chance on 7).

8): Could I see a healthy QB throwing a TD every game for three straight years and beating the 47 of Unitas? Yes, I think that could happen. Maybe a 10% chance that this happens.

9): I think some other team will eventually string together two great seasons, including a SB win, and challenge the 21 game record. So, there's a reasonable chance that this will fall. I'd say there's a 10% chance that this happens sometime over the next umpteen years.

10) Could another QB, playing for the "right" team, string together enough big seasons to win 149 games? Yes, I think that could happen. Elway didn't play all that long ago. I think this is a 5% chance.

5) Is it possible that another kicker could be perfect over the course of one season? Yes, I'd have to think that's possible. I think this is very unlikely, tho. A 1% chance.

1) Is it possible that a RB will someday eclipse Brown's per carry record? Yes, I think I'd have to say there is. Sayres and the Juice came close. A guy like Reggie Bush might do it if he stays healthy. Maybe another 1% chance.

3) Given today's diverse offenses with multiple weapons on the field, is it possible that a player will average the 11 points a game that it would take to tie Jim Hornung's record? I just don't think so. That's two TD's per game, every game, every week, for a position player or, for example, two FG's and five PAT's a game for a kicker (or three FG's and two PAT's or some other combination that is unlikely every week). So, I don't think this record falls. 0%

2) 282 consecutive games is nearly 18 seasons without missing a game. In today's NFL with the violence of the play on the field, I just don't see that happening. 0%

4) A 30.56 yard KR average (presumably over a material number of return attempts over a significant number of seasons)? With today's scientific Special Teams Play, I don't see it. Assuming that the average kick reaches the three or four yard line, that would require an average return to the 34 or 35. I think the Average starting point after a Kickoff is around the 23, so I don't think this one falls. 0%

PatsFan, nice post! Here's where I differ....

1) Is it possible that a RB will someday eclipse Brown's per carry record? Yes, I think I'd have to say there is. Sayres and the Juice came close. A guy like Reggie Bush might do it if he stays healthy. Maybe another 1% chance.

Did Sayers and O.J. really come close to this CAREER average?

3) Given today's diverse offenses with multiple weapons on the field, is it possible that a player will average the 11 points a game that it would take to tie Jim Hornung's record? I just don't think so. That's two TD's per game, every game, every week, for a position player or, for example, two FG's and five PAT's a game for a kicker (or three FG's and two PAT's or some other combination that is unlikely every week). So, I don't think this record falls. 0%

Didn't LaDanian Tomlinson practically do this last year, though?

2) 282 consecutive games is nearly 18 seasons without missing a game. In today's NFL with the violence of the play on the field, I just don't see that happening. 0%

It seems easy enough for a kicker or punter, though, doesn't it?

4) A 30.56 yard KR average (presumably over a material number of return attempts over a significant number of seasons)? With today's scientific Special Teams Play, I don't see it. Assuming that the average kick reaches the three or four yard line, that would require an average return to the 34 or 35. I think the Average starting point after a Kickoff is around the 23, so I don't think this one falls. 0%

I think it's more like the 27 yard line rather than the 23. It would be a question of breaking enough big returns. If Hester didn't do it last year, then maybe it won't be done!

. .. ... ....

Last edited:
. .. ... ....
Originally Posted by PatsFanSince74

PatsFan, nice post! Here's where I differ....

Thanks for your reply. Backatcha:

Did Sayers and O.J. really come close to this CAREER average? Yes. Sayers averaged 5.0 and the Juice averaged 4.7 yards per carry.

Didn't LaDanian Tomlinson practically do this last year, though? Yes, he scored 186 points last year (28 rushing and three catching), but his six year average is 111 points, leaving even him a lot of ground to make up.

It seems easy enough for a kicker or punter, though, doesn't it? Morton Andersen played 22 seasons. But, I have a hard time finding kickers with that kind of longevity any more.

I think it's more like the 27 yard line rather than the 23. It would be a question of breaking enough big returns. If Hester didn't do it last year, then maybe it won't be done! Here, you might be right. Last year, the average kick return in the NFL was 22.5 yards and the top ten returners averaged 29.7 yards. So, I'd have to move this one into the possible range. Maybe 5%.

Last edited:
LT's TD record.

What about this one: the 1978 New England Patriots league record 3,165 yards rushing in a season, one that still stands today. Interestingly, the Patriots did not feature a 1,000-yard runner. Rather the team shared the rushing duties with five different players who carried the ball more than 75 times that year.

*Also noted is Grogan's 12 rushing TD's, most by a QB in a season.
- If Vick stays out of jail this could be broken...

PD.

What about Night Train's 14 int in one season? That is a long standing record that has been approached but never really challenged...Basically need one every game, or at least three games with 3+ to come close to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back