PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL prostitution, London style

LA killed more than one franchise. Moving it down the coast or across the Atlantic...is there truly much difference? Going from the UK to east coast is no different from flying East to West in the US itself. Logistically it can work if you timetable it correctly and use the byes to your advantage.

OK. Let's look at this hypothetical for a moment. We'll assume the Jags moved to London last off season. With their current 2013 schedule, this is what we see.

The following teams would need to play games in the UK.

week team
1 chiefs
4 colts
7 chargers
8 49 ers
11 cards
14 texans
15 bills
16 titans

The London Jags would have to travel to the following U.S. games.

2 raiders
3 seahawks
5 rams
6 broncos
10 titans
12 texans
13 browns
17 colts

Their one bye week is 9. Trying to minimize travel using the bye for both the Jags and their opponents would be a nightmare.:eek:

A question here as I'm curious. How much do you pay for to attend an NFL game at Wembley?

I wanted the old Benny Hill bit but this will do :p

tart_small.png

Hey, if I had the money I'd be over in Boston in no time :p Sadly, even though I can have the money,my girlfriend wouldn't want to move. FML. The UK isn't all that to live in!

That's because you haven't lived here all your life. I grew up in Boston and moved several other places around the country once I was out of school. I'd love to live somewhere around London or a few other places in Europe. Nothing wrong with Boston, great place but like anywhere you live for a long time, you look at other places as more interesting. Spend 10 or more years here and the novelty will wear off on you as any place will. I loved living in the Seattle area too and there's more rain there than the U.K. I'd move to a dozen places outside the US in a heartbeat. Not because I don't like the US, but because I like new experiences and like spending time in Europe.

I read the title wrong. Somehow I was expecting pics of prostitutes in London:)

I read it and thought it would be a story on how there's a shortage of prostitutes for the NFL game in London and would be sending them from other countries like they do for the Olympics so you're not the only one :D

A question here as I'm curious. How much do you pay for to attend an NFL game at Wembley?

It depends on where you sit etc but 50-140 US Dollars for standard tickets.

Attachments

• herr-goodell.jpg
    herr-goodell.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 48
As a simile it would be interesting to see a Premier League game played somewhere abroad (US, Middle East, Asia wherever). It's never been done (although its been mentioned) because the fans simply wouldn't have it and the players would say they do enough travelling as it is with Internationals, Champions League etc

Given the EPL is the most watched sporting league in the world, being broadcasted to 600 million people in over 200 countries worldwide and theyve never done it, not sure why anyone thinks this is a great idea

I'm sure a good argument can be made in favor on all counts. I just don't like the whole "overseas expansion" concept of taking home games away from domestic season ticket holders, making teams play at odd hours (9:30 a.m.), etc., etc.
I'm not a big fan of playing games overseas, but if they are going to do it, I see no problem with these changes.
Actually playing the game at a reasonable LOCAL kickoff time that results in an odd time for the fans to watch seems like a better choice to me than making the players play at a weird time for the sake of TV.

OK. Let's look at this hypothetical for a moment. We'll assume the Jags moved to London last off season. With their current 2013 schedule, this is what we see.

week team
1 chiefs
4 colts
7 chargers
8 49 ers
11 cards
14 texans
15 bills
16 titans

2 raiders
3 seahawks
5 rams
6 broncos
10 titans
12 texans
13 browns
17 colts

Their one bye week is 9. Trying to minimize travel using the bye for both the Jags and their opponents would be a nightmare.:eek:

Well the schedule would be different. They would probably have homestands and road trips of at least 2-3 weeks.

week team
1 chiefs
4 colts
7 chargers
8 49 ers
11 cards
14 texans
15 bills
16 titans

2 raiders
3 seahawks
5 rams
6 broncos
10 titans
12 texans
13 browns
17 colts

This is what the season ticket offer is...not sure on individual pricing:

Tickets | NFL UK

Firstly, where was this thread last year. They did a three game season ticket for the three games just passed. Those people have just been given priority on this years tickets. Its been very successful too.

My Long term thoughts.

This is very much going to happen.

How it will happen, there are many different thoughts on how, but mine is that any team that is London will not be based in London. For tax reasons and to attract players they will reside in the Miami area. This team will then travel to London for 2 or three games, then return to the US for two or three games. Teams that travel to London will all have bye weeks after there game. (Which is what happens right now).

The current home of Wembley stadium could be a problem for an NFL Franchise. Currently the stadium is only allowed to hold a certain number of events each year. I am not sure whether that is a time thing where it runs after a certain hour, hence why the early kickoff change of the Lions and Falcons game, anyway... because of this Wembley may not be the home of the franchise should one move to London.

Which brings me onto recent rumblings in the UK which as yet don't seem to have made the news yet. Being a fan of Tottenham Hotspur I have somewhat followed closely the building of its new stadium. They are currently undertaking a build which has just finished stage 1 of the three stage build. A month or so ago Tottenham owner Daniel Levy decided to look at other alternatives to the current plans, a last minute see if something could be better, upon which in a site called skyscrappercity a forum for architecture and other such like stuff, there is a stadium section, so on this section someone contacted the current designers who basically stated in an email that the news of Tottenham getting interested companies to put in new designs was true. He went on to say that there main design change that they wanted people to look at was an NFL styled stadium.. many suggestions have been banded about as to why, including some kind of drop down pitch for NFL where the hallowed White Hart Lane turf would be sunken with a frame like structure built or brought in above to cater for NFL matches or concerts, huge expo etc.

In the past 4 or 5 years Tottenham owners have become very close to the AEG group who own LA Galaxy. AEG have been also been trying to get an NFL franchise up and running in LA with no conclusion to that matter. Other links to Tottenham and AEG have been rumours of buy outs by AEG, Tottenham selling a star European striker to LA Galaxy in Robbie Keane (scored 62 goals for Rep Ireland, put into context Englands highest goalscorer is 49). Also AEG own the O2 arena in London which is the biggest known concert venue (holds 30k and can be used every day, its the site where Jacko was gonna do his 50 dates) and have apparently been looking to sell and are in the market of maybe moving there UK concert business to another venue, with Tottenham Hotspur looking to find a way to change the turf without damaging it ticks the boxes of another venue for AEG.

Currently the new stadium for Tottenham was only around 57,000, but its seen as a possibility that it could be expanded to 65,000 should an NFL franchise find its home there. Its thought that 65k would be a more manageable number for NFL sellouts than the current 80k for Wembley. Tottenham is also closer to the European rail network which is situated at Stratford, which means fans from Europe can visit along also with Stansted airport being close. Also I'd like to mention that the costs for this stadium is being raised by the Football club, no government subsides are being given for this build.

I'm not sure who shares stadiums in the US, but NFL and football stadiums can co exist. I think Seattle currently plays both, but they use a fake pitch for the football which just would not happen for Tottenham Hotspur.

New Stadium Plans - tottenhamhotspur.com

Stadium.jpg

Passed stadium plans

From the link above you will see the new stadium under the current passed plans. Also since this picture the local council have also drawn up plans for the whole area below that stadium which is a huge 20 year plan to rejuvenate the whole surrounding area with new housing, shopping mall, multiplex cinema etc. Pictures below show option 2 and 3 that have been put forward for public consumption.

263fozp.jpg

fk8ina.jpg

The 49ers this year came to Tottenham's new £45m training complex before its Wembley game... below shows pictures of the full scale indoor football pitch, outside resides 15 full size pitches.

49ers_730j.jpg

article-2470619-18E36D5900000578-177_636x443.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur courting NFL as they make plans for 65,000 stadium | Mail Online

covered-pitch.jpg

view-across-pitches.jpg

Hey taxpayers. Buy us a stadium so we can play 'home' games in London.

Hey taxpayers. Buy us a stadium so we can play 'home' games in London.

Not sure what is ment by that. I would like to mention that its against European legislation to get government subsidies for a private company unlike what happens in the US. Tottenham are raising the funds from its Billionaire owner Joe Lewis by selling bonds to the financial districts around the world. They will also get a hefy naming rights deal also for the new stadium and new training complex which could cover a qtr of the costs.

EDIT - It is also a fact that the new Television deal for the Premiership has risen for each club by a massive £25million a season. That money alone over the next 10 years will pay for half this £500m stadium.

I guess having NFL connected will help entice a larger cake slice from US markets for any naming rights deals or commercial sponsorships.

I forgot to mention another link to this whole thing is last season Totteham took out a 5 year sponsorship deal with Under Armour for its kit manufactuer.. who is UAs #1 guy.. Tom Brady!. And Under Armour is massive is it not in American Football circles.

I am a lifelong NFL football fan and Patriot fan. Been one since 1960.

Now NFL HAS to be played in G.B. Plus it will be a big success because of soccer teams in the same stadiums??

I am a lifelong Red Sox fan. Baseball has been a national sport since the late 1800's. I hear Brits are ga ga goony over cricket. Seen it...sorta don't get it...it has NEVER taken root here...just as baseball has NEVER taken root there...but NOW the NFL is some huge, viable business venture in Britain. Right, OK...you know I watch British soccer every once in a while...you know why?...not the up and down and up and down and up and down the field with hardly any scoring ever...it's the beserk gangs of British soccer wackos who invariably attack each other in the middle of or at the end of one of these , for me, an American, soccer borefests.

NFL football has a hard core group of fans in the isles. In fact, in my estimation, some of the finest,most loyal and astute fans there are anywhere....but to expect to expand that rabid core into fanbases that rival the soccer driven British businesses is a fool's errand in my opinion.

General George Patton quoted Oscar Wilde to the Womens Auxiliary in GB during the war..

Oscar Wilde famously declared that Britain and America were two nations divided by a common language.....

I believe this holds true today...

In Britain hooliganism is nothing like it was. It seems you are talking about the late 80's and 90's. Today, football has priced out the football yobs. All seater stadia has brought in the family areas.

The main problems reside outside the stadium.

For example Tottenham played Lazio in a European match last season. Around 100 fans sat in a bar the night before the game in Rome. Whilst enjoying there drinks around 200 far right neo Nazi Lazio fans turned up to do a number on the Tottenham fans. Many of those attacked were quiet family men and women. One young fan had his head split open and luckily survived, there pictures are readily available online of the damage.

Football in the UK has the persona of what you describe because of its past.. today is a different reality. Today the problems really only occur in lower leagues where non all seater stadiums and less policing resides.

Besides, even back then it was only a minority, 5% at most. You make it sound like all out gang warfare. When in reality every team around the world has supporters they wish they didn't.

Edit - Also looking at the whole fans of the two sports not getting on.

Who says they have too. London is home to nearly 10million. It also has 5 Premiership football teams. The NFL fans will differ from the football fans. Hazard a guess a lot of the numbers will be filled by expats now residing in London, not to mention the large armed forcers the US has in Europe and Britain.

The market for NFL is massive in the UK. Every week we get back to back live games that start at 6pm and finish around 5am every Sunday, the Thursday game is shown live as is MNF. We even get Redzone shown running alongside the two Sunday live games before the Sunday late game.

In short NFL has its own fan base, and would not need to have its fan base supplemented by football loons as you put. Your just scaremongering. If there was a major fanbase to join in on NFL it would be the two rugby codes Rugby Union and Rugby league.

You misconstrued my point. It's not that I think hooliganism is rampant, it's that the last time I watched "football" as YOU call it, it was for prurient interest alone. I admittedly am not up on the current state of what I call soccer and you call "football" in England, nor do I care to be. "Football" teams around the world have hooliganistic fans? OK, if you say so...I could care less. I don't care about "football" around the world, any "football" teams around the world and I do not know of any NFL football teams currently playing anywhere else in the world. I do know that global expansion would mutate the NFL into a watered down product not only here in the states but world wide. I DO NOT WANT TO EVER SEE THIS OCCUR. I love our national sport, in much the exact same fashion as Aussies love THEIR rugby. I am quite content to watch Australian league rugby without ruminating on the ways and means of expanding it over here to the states and eventually worldwide.

Again, this is only MY American opinion. I openly admit I view this issue through a biased lense.A wise American once proclaimed.."if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...THAT is how I feel about expansion overseas.

Not sure what is ment by that. I would like to mention that its against European legislation to get government subsidies for a private company unlike what happens in the US. Tottenham are raising the funds from its Billionaire owner Joe Lewis by selling bonds to the financial districts around the world. They will also get a hefy naming rights deal also for the new stadium and new training complex which could cover a qtr of the costs.

EDIT - It is also a fact that the new Television deal for the Premiership has risen for each club by a massive £25million a season. That money alone over the next 10 years will pay for half this £500m stadium.

I guess having NFL connected will help entice a larger cake slice from US markets for any naming rights deals or commercial sponsorships.

I forgot to mention another link to this whole thing is last season Totteham took out a 5 year sponsorship deal with Under Armour for its kit manufactuer.. who is UAs #1 guy.. Tom Brady!. And Under Armour is massive is it not in American Football circles.

I don't care. Make teams where ever. Let the teams that have homes play their games in their own subsidized stadiums.

With online betting and fantasy football interest at its highest point ever and continuing to climb, we'll all be waking up at 9:30am next year to witness the early game too. Goodell is basically making it as though we have no choice.

I think the whole idea is dumb as hell personally (no offense to any friends over in the UK). It's supposed to be the NFL--as in National Football League.

Even though some have taken a liking to it, how many times did we hear people cheering when the other team punted? As if it were some great accomplishment... When the television crews attempted to interview the local bars/pubs, how many people had absolutely no idea whatsoever that a "football" (yes, in this sense I actually have to put it in quotes) game was even occurring? Despite the turnout for the parade last month etc that was designed and promoted by the NFL, the majority of locals couldn't have cared any less....

Roger Goodell has been a horrible commissioner in many people's minds, and this idea just reiterates those thoughts another 10x over.

I think having NFL games in any foreign nation is a bad idea for everyone involved. Let them watch the games on TV or start an NFL Europe league.

Next thing ya know, they'll be playing a game in France or Italy. An NFL season is tough enough as it is with all the travel, injuries and training. Having our players travel across the pond just adds to the burdens put upon these guys.

I hope Goodell's vision isn't to have an international league where US teams will play teams from other countries. I'd prefer to keep the NFL in America the way it is. I'd hate to see a New England Patriots vs. the London Kings....despite it's potential for a replay of the American Revolution! ;)

OK...you know I watch British soccer every once in a while...you know why?...not the up and down and up and down and up and down the field with hardly any scoring ever...it's the beserk gangs of British soccer wackos who invariably attack each other in the middle of or at the end of one of these , for me, an American, soccer borefests.

Doesn't happen much anymore. In fact more fan violence happens in US Stadiums.

I have been to many US Soccer games across the globe. I was in Mexico in March for US/Mexico. Azteca is a nasty place to be wearing Red/White/Blue. But yet I felt more threatened in NJ for Pats/Jets game in October.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back