PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL proper tackling technique video

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad the NFL is doing this. I have no fears that this is going to "sissify" the NFL. For the bloodthirsty, there will still be plenty of opportunities to see broken bones and wrecked knees without risking paralysis or worse.

I'm glad the NFL is doing this. I have no fears that this is going to "sissify" the NFL. For the bloodthirsty, there will still be plenty of opportunities to see broken bones and wrecked knees without risking paralysis or worse.

As should be obvious by the fact that defensive players from various teams are very unhappy with this, it's not about bloodthirsty fans.

As should be obvious by the fact that defensive players from various teams are very unhappy with this, it's not about bloodthirsty fans.

I was referring to the out-of-lockerroom debate among us amateurs.

The players speaking out against this are few and far between. I'm pretty sure that the "silence" of the hundreds of others is agreement with what's being done.

But, if you showed me a petition to the contrary signed by a substantial majority of the 1,700 or so players on active NFL rosters, then I'd say, "fine, bring me my popcorn, and I'll watch the mayhem."

Until then, those of us who've never laced them up and stepped between the lines on a Sunday afternoon should shut up.

I'm glad the NFL is doing this and that they moved before someone was paralyzed or killed.

Last edited:
Football is a better sport if that kind of defensive hit is taken out of the game. If a receiver has worked his way open and can absorb a hit to the midsection while catching the ball, he should get a catch.

If this means that James Harrison doesn't want to play anymore, then good. The league is better off without players with the psychological profile. That type of need to be violent in order to put salve on some kind of emotional issue shouldn't be awarded anywhere in society.

Is that what they taught you to do when you are arriving as the ball is? What if the ball is in the air? They call it a kill shot for a reason, the receivers head is turned to the QB as he crosses over the middle, the defenders eyes light up because he's seen the play thousands of times in film. You know exactly where the receiver is going to be and you turn and sprint toward him. The throw is a little high and you aim for the mid section, he leaps and you hit waist as his hands touch the ball. In highschool you can get away with the technique you described but in the nfl when the receivers hands touch the ball he's supposed to catch it. You hit a NFL receiver in the waist as he catches the ball 9/10 its a completed catch. You hit him in the upper body/head with a shoulder as his head whips around, the ball comes loose.

And just who are all these defensive players that are unhappy, besides the ones that were fined.

And just who are all these defensive players that are unhappy, besides the ones that were fined.

I think these players are unhappy for an entirely different reason than Deus was suggesting:

Defenders want NFL's rules to protect them, too - ESPN

I think that we should let the players resolve this.

It's not good when fans who would be hospitalized for a week if they took even a mild NFL hit start saying the game should be allowed to be more and more violent. IMO, fans who feel that way should present themselves at the gates of Foxboro and ask the Coaches to let Big Vince and Merriweather use them for tackling practice for a day...heck, just for 15 minutes. Then let's see how they feel about it.

Last edited:

Again, the NFL does not care about player safety for the "right" reasons. They care about it insofar as it makes them more money. The NFL is not cracking down on unsafe hits, they are cracking down on result of ANY tackle. Teams cannot afford to go for ANY legal hard hit (especially late in the year) because if they make a mistake they will get suspended.

The NFL will continue to set policy to help offenses for as long as more offense means more money.

Again, the NFL does not care about player safety for the "right" reasons. They care about it insofar as it makes them more money. The NFL is not cracking down on unsafe hits, they are cracking down on result of ANY tackle. Teams cannot afford to go for ANY legal hard hit (especially late in the year) because if they make a mistake they will get suspended.

The NFL will continue to set policy to help offenses for as long as more offense means more money.

The league is protecting its interests, as any good business should. As a by-product, player health is also protected - why is this seen as a bad thing? And while the timing of this video being sent out makes it reactionary, the move is also proactive. As players in the league get bigger, stronger, and faster, major injuries will increase. And since the league is under pressure from the public regarding head injuries, more and more guys are going to be sidelined for longer periods of time. And when star players are sidelined, the quality of play goes down. When Brady was gone for the year, I saw a lot of comments like: "The Steelers got a free pass because Brady didn't play that year." I don't want to watch teams with a bunch of JAGs playing offense, and that's what will eventually happen if the league doesn't take steps now to try and prevent it. There can still be big hits in the game, the defenders just need play with more control over their bodies.

I agree with the defensive guys that are asking for more protection against illegal blocks though. Diving at a guy's knee is bush league and shouldn't be allowed.

I am not blood thirsty but the reason defensive players (and I) are unhappy is the obvious (is this in dispute?) protection for only offensive players. Defensive players are fodder. I had to chuckle at Phil Simm's comment during last week's game that the NFL also makes rules to protect defensive players???? Which ones are those?? OK, you may be able to cite them but tell me when are they ever enforced? Their knees get chop blocked (hello Alex Gibbs) and they receive crack backs with little enforcement.

The other problem I have is what occurs every week after the high profile helmet to helmet fines. There is that next level of fines the NFL meets out to the defense for "rough play.??" These are the ones where the referees see no infraction but some flack at NFL New York picks out those "other" plays and fines are issued.

I am not blood thirsty but the reason defensive players (and I) are unhappy is the obvious (is this in dispute?) protection for only offensive players. Defensive players are fodder. I had to chuckle at Phil Simm's comment during last week's game that the NFL also makes rules to protect defensive players???? Which ones are those?? OK, you may be able to cite them but tell me when are they ever enforced? Their knees get chop blocked (hello Alex Gibbs) and they receive crack backs with little enforcement.

The other problem I have is what occurs every week after the high profile helmet to helmet fines. There is that next level of fines the NFL meets out to the defense for "rough play.??" These are the ones where the referees see no infraction but some flack at NFL New York picks out those "other" plays and fines are issued.

Indeed. Defensive players know that the rules:

1.) Are biased against them (cut block)

2.) Are called with a bias against them (pass interference)

3.) Are applied differently than supposedly designed (helmet contact)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes