PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Playoff Picture Still Murky Heading Into Week 15

Re: Playoff seeding tiebreaks

That would sure be a weird playoff game. When the hell was the last time we met them in the playoffs? 1985 squish the fish?

1997 playoffs Wild Card Round at Foxboro. 17-3 I think without looking up.

Played them 2 straight weeks.

At Miami Division title on the line. Winner would host loser the next weekend

Pats won 14-12

I think the Patriots need to be in must-win playoff mode NOW. If they lose one more game getting a bye is in serious jeopardy. If worse comes to worse and they lose the next two, they might need to beat Buffalo in the last game to win the division (I'm not sure what would happen if both the Pats and Dolphins finish at 10-6). With this particular roster, it's my opinion that any chance of making a serious playoff run depends solely on getting a bye. I can't see them winning three playoff games to get to the Super Bowl.

Pats win out last 3, Superbowl Road goes through Foxboro.

Attachments

• Belichick's game plan.jpg
    Belichick's game plan.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 36

I think the Patriots need to be in must-win playoff mode NOW. If they lose one more game getting a bye is in serious jeopardy. If worse comes to worse and they lose the next two, they might need to beat Buffalo in the last game to win the division (I'm not sure what would happen if both the Pats and Dolphins finish at 10-6). With this particular roster, it's my opinion that any chance of making a serious playoff run depends solely on getting a bye. I can't see them winning three playoff games to get to the Super Bowl.

Pats would lose the tiebreaker if both they and the Dolphins finish at 10-6, which is why the Pats haven't clinched the division yet. Pats would be 3-3 within the division (extra losses this weekend and against Buffalo) while the Dolphins would be 4-2.

Here's how the Pats miss the playoffs:
- Pats lose all three games
- Dolphins win all three games
- Ravens win all three games
- Chiefs win at least one game

Normally that sounds like a lot of factors, except for the fact that they're actually playing the Dolphins and Ravens head to head the next two weeks, which eliminates some of the normal variation.

This just emphasizes your point -- if the Pats lose the next two weeks, they might need to beat the Bills just to even make the playoffs.

Pats would lose the tiebreaker if both they and the Dolphins finish at 10-6, which is why the Pats haven't clinched the division yet. Pats would be 3-3 within the division (extra losses this weekend and against Buffalo) while the Dolphins would be 4-2.

Here's how the Pats miss the playoffs:
- Pats lose all three games
- Dolphins win all three games
- Ravens win all three games
- Chiefs win at least one game

Normally that sounds like a lot of factors, except for the fact that they're actually playing the Dolphins and Ravens head to head the next two weeks, which eliminates some of the normal variation.

This just emphasizes your point -- if the Pats lose the next two weeks, they might need to beat the Bills just to even make the playoffs.

I'll play the part of the glass half-full guy here.

With a win Sunday the Patriots clinch the AFC East. Miami is only 3-3 at home this year, and the Pats have defeated the Dolphins seven straight times and nine of the last ten.

Bill Belichick is 49-8 as an NFL coach in the month of December. I have faith he is not going to become 49-11.

Even if Miami does win, if Baltimore loses at Detroit then the Patriots clinch a playoff spot Sunday with two more chances to wrap up the division. The Ravens' record on the road this year? 1-5.

Apparently, the Pats can lose the next two and STILL get a first-round bye if they beat Buffalo and:

* Cincinnati (9-4) loses two of its last three (@Steelers, Vikings, Ravens).

* Indianapolis (8-5) loses one of its last three (Houston, @Kansas City, Jacksonville).

I wish we had two at home in these last three instead of one.

Apparently, the Pats can lose the next two and STILL get a first-round bye if they beat Buffalo and:

* Cincinnati (9-4) loses two of its last three (@Steelers, Vikings, Ravens).

* Indianapolis (8-5) loses one of its last three (Houston, @Kansas City, Jacksonville).

I wish we had two at home in these last three instead of one.

i see cincy losing 1 more

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back