NFL Playoff Picture Coming Into Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
NFL Playoff Picture Coming Into Focus
By: John Morgan

With week sixteen in the books the NFL playoff picture is starting to clear up. That's not to say everything is settled - five teams still in contention will be eliminated between now and the end of the season - but things are starting to settle a bit as ...

Nice touch with the New Jersey Jets there at the end. They did lose the battle of New York today after all.

jets playoff road

i know these guys suck and we hate them, but i am wondering what needs to happen for them to get into the playoffs

Last edited:
Nice touch with the New Jersey Jets there at the end. They did lose the battle of New York today after all.

That leaves the New Jersey Jets (8-7) as the last team still alive in the AFC. The Jets need to win (at Miami), plus have the Bengals lose, the Titans lose, and the Raiders lose.​

Last edited:
Last edited:
That leaves the New Jersey Jets (8-7) as the last team still alive in the AFC. The Jets need to win (at Miami), plus have the Bengals lose, the Titans lose, and the Raiders lose.​

Lots of ifs and buts, seem to recollect a team several years ago with an 11-5 record who did not make it into the tournament..

Hope they do not make it, and for the next 9 months Rex can look forward to his daily beatings by the everloving NYC mediots..

John Morgan, that was awesome! Thanks for doing that! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all Patsfanners!

Re: jets playoff road

unfortunately such a scenario is possible:

jets win against miami

Cincinatti loses to Baltimore

Oakland loses to San Diego

tennesee loses to Houston

how ironic would it be if the jets some how make it to the playoffs and the giants end up getting knocked out next week against Dallas?

Wouldnt be surpised at all with the Jets luck of squeaking into the playoffs every year.

Not sure I'm loving how NE's first round opponent will look as for as how this may likely play out.

For the sake of argument, based on odds/spreads, let's presume NE gets that 1 seed with a win over Buffalo at home this week.

Houston will then play anyone from Cinci/Oakland/Tenn based on how it plays out in the 3/6 game. None of which I would call an overly formidable opponent. Cinci, which is the best of the bunch, plays Baltimore this week and is down in the pecking order on tie breakers of that group. As bad as Houston has looked, I'm not sure I'm confident in any of those teams going on the road and beating them. If Houston wins, they go off and play the 2 seed on the road with TJ Yates in what could be a gift wrapped win in that next round. Houston will already have won their SB with a simple playoff win.

That leaves NE with what will likely be the winner of the Denver/Pittsburgh game - that of which I don't think Denver has a snowballs chance in h#ll of beating.

You almost wonder if BB knows this and lays down a bit on Sunday. That two seed is looking quite attractive. I might rather have Houston at home/then winner of Balt/Pitts on the road the following week then to see Pittsburgh in their first game. It's not like they're flying across the country for that game.

You almost wonder if BB knows this and lays down a bit on Sunday. That two seed is looking quite attractive. I might rather have Houston at home/then winner of Balt/Pitts on the road the following week then to see Pittsburgh in their first game. It's not like they're flying across the country for that game.

silly.

you don't give up HF for what you THINK might happen. ANY GIVEN SUNDAY.

I can easily foresee scenarios where both 5 & 6 seeds win. Then the 2 seed gets Pitt/Balt and the 1 seed gets cincy/tenn/oak/jesters. WHO would you rather play?

certainly Houston is more likely to win than Den/Oak; but they are on their 3rd QB. [One bad hit and they could be on QB #4. (did you notice they signed Delhomme (AGE 41) and Garcia in the last 3 weeks and Yates is still above them on the depth chart. ]

Not sure I'm loving how NE's first round opponent will look as for as how this may likely play out.

For the sake of argument, based on odds/spreads, let's presume NE gets that 1 seed with a win over Buffalo at home this week.

Houston will then play anyone from Cinci/Oakland/Tenn based on how it plays out in the 3/6 game. None of which I would call an overly formidable opponent. Cinci, which is the best of the bunch, plays Baltimore this week and is down in the pecking order on tie breakers of that group. As bad as Houston has looked, I'm not sure I'm confident in any of those teams going on the road and beating them. If Houston wins, they go off and play the 2 seed on the road with TJ Yates in what could be a gift wrapped win in that next round. Houston will already have won their SB with a simple playoff win.

That leaves NE with what will likely be the winner of the Denver/Pittsburgh game - that of which I don't think Denver has a snowballs chance in h#ll of beating.

I think there's about a 50-50 chance of Houston losing to whoever the sixth seed is - they're not playing very well right now - in which case the Pats get to play that sixth seed at home rather then the Baltimore/Pittsburgh vs Denver winner. It may indeed work out the way you described, but in my opinion it could just as easily work out the other way as well.

Houston will then play anyone from Cinci/Oakland/Tenn based on how it plays out in the 3/6 game. None of which I would call an overly formidable opponent. Cinci, which is the best of the bunch, plays Baltimore this week and is down in the pecking order on tie breakers of that group. As bad as Houston has looked, I'm not sure I'm confident in any of those teams going on the road and beating them. If Houston wins, they go off and play the 2 seed on the road with TJ Yates in what could be a gift wrapped win In that next round. Houston will already have won their SB with a simple playoff win.

The Texans lost back to back games to the Panthers and the Colts, counting on them to winning a playoff game is foolish.

Last edited:
The 1 seed might be VERY important. The Pats want to avoid playing both Baltimore AND Pittsburgh.

I see the Jets making it as the #6 seed. Jets beat #3 Houston on the road.

Denver wins this Sunday. Steelers play in Denver and win easily. 5 v 4

That sets up Pats v Jets game #3!!

Steelers go to Baltimore.

Pats hopefully can beat the Jets this time.

Set's up AFCCG at Foxboro with either the Ravens or Steelers. Either team will be tired after beating each other up.

I see this as the best scenario.

That being said anything is possible in this years NFL.

The 1 seed might be VERY important. The Pats want to avoid playing both Baltimore AND Pittsburgh.

I see the Jets making it as the #6 seed. Jets beat #3 Houston on the road.

Denver wins this Sunday. Steelers play in Denver and win easily. 5 v 4

That sets up Pats v Jets game #3!!

Steelers go to Baltimore.

Pats hopefully can beat the Jets this time.

Set's up AFCCG at Foxboro with either the Ravens or Steelers. Either team will be tired after beating each other up.

I see this as the best scenario.

That being said anything is possible in this years NFL.

Jets making it in? They need too many stars to align.

It's time to enjoy the holidays and the promise of a new year.

If we learned anything in the last couple of weeks, we learned that these Patriots rise to the occasion and can handle a challenge. There is a determination on this team and a sense of unity that we haven't seen in a while. The turning point came when Belichick and the Krafts dumped Albert Haynesworth and continued to support Ochocinco for working hard and accepting his role on this team.

The Patriots went into Denver and showed the NFL that they are not be trifled with on offense or defense. Denver had a home game to prove they were legitimate. They are not. The Patriots showed it again in the 3rd quarter against Miami by erasing a 17-point deficit with defense and offense. Miami got a little confident with a three-score lead and the Patriots stomped on them.

The Patriots are a plus 10 in takeaways, and getting better every week. Fear not. The road to the Super Bowl goes through Foxboro, men.

Pittsburgh and Baltimore are the cream of the crop of potential opponents. So be it. Let's play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back