Welcome to PatsFans.com

NFL players tweet about the Zimmerman verdict..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Joker, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +720 / 14 / -12

2. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +720 / 14 / -12

3. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Not that the other ones are the picture of eloquence, but Tyrann Mathieu's is seriously confusing me.
  4. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +228 / 18 / -37

#50 Jersey

Brendan Ayanbadejo is still claiming that Martin was murdered by Zimmerman despite what the verdict said. I'll be honest.. We'll never know what truly happened. Blame falls all around. Zimmerman. Martin. Martin's parents. It was a situation that didn't have to happen.
  5. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

This was 100% Zimmerman's fault. He stalked, followed and harassed a kid that was minding his own business. This is documented by the 911 call. Stalked him while packing heat...that's exactly what he did, regardless of any other intent. The confrontation was caused by Zimmerman's own actions, and nothing else...there is no way around that. The particulars about the fight that ensued may matter in a court of law, but Zimmerman was responsible for every single thing that went down. You don't stalk an innocent person while packing heat, and then cry self-defense after you shoot him dead...UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Maybe in court, but not in the real world.

You are going to partly blame Martin's parents? Please. That's outrageous.

And if you are going to stalk somebody, you shouldn't be a *****. You should be able to handle yourself in the confrontation that YOU created, especially if you really ARE dealing with a criminal, like old beady-eyes ass-head thought. Here, the cops were already on their way, and Travon Martin wasn't doing jack-squat wrong. IF Martin threw the first blow or whatever, he was only treating Zimmerman as the stalker he was. We'll have to take Zimmerman's word on that, since the only other eyeball witness was shot dead.

This is not justice. The scariest part is that this complete tool is still allowed to roam the streets carrying a firearm. I hope people harass the **** out of him every time he walks down the sidewalk. "Just what the hell do you think you're doing around these here parts, son?"

The law does not equal the truth. The verdict may be in, but the truth is there to see for anybody that has eyes.
  6. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +205 / 4 / -5

:agree:

Of course, the burden of proof in civil trials is lower--and in the absence of a federal trial, Zimmerman can't use the 5th to avoid the witness stand.
  7. tuckeverlasting

tuckeverlasting Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

not guilty does not mean innocent. just ask oj.
  8. 2000army

2000army Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

No civil suit allowed when found not guilty in Florida....

pretty obvious how many people did not follow this case.

Stalking ...lol.
  9. resdubwhite

resdubwhite Rookie

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Well said Uncle Meat.

you pretty much summed it up for me.

Condolences and respect to the Martin family.
  10. moosekill

moosekill Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -2

So, based upon the evidence the jury got. Zimmerman saw a man he didn't know, in an area where he had no reason to be, in an area where there had been lots of break ins. He called the police and followed the man to help the police. He was told the police were on their way and to leave him alone and go back to his car. Zimmerman headed back to his car, Martin attacked him, broke his nose got on top of him, was smashing his head against the pavement, and Zimmerman shot him.

The state didn't have a case, never had a case and knew it. Heck the police department knew it and was never going to charge him. Until the mayor and city council fired the Police Chief. The police even backed up Zimmerman on the witness stand, when called upon to testify by the Prosecution. The only thing the prosecution had going for it was identifying the screamer, which the Mayor, played for the family of Martin in a private audience without police presence.

Did it happen that way, who knows, could it have been completely Zimmerman's fault, sure could have, but based upon the evidence presented it wasn't.

As far as the 17 year old part, I was 6'1" and 220lbs when I was 17, my son was 6'3" 275lbs when he was 17. Of course if you saw pictures of us when we were 14 we were quite a bit smaller.
  11. 2000army

2000army Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Get out of here with your facts... We need to base everything on emotion and guesses
  12. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

13. RobAllan

RobAllan Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I'm just sad the day has finally come that I'm left agreeing with anyone in the Vick clan. That's how outrageous this whole thing is. (And no I don't think guns are the answer but I entirely agree with his basic sentiments in all regards.)
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  14. Jason_Carrier

Jason_Carrier Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Unfortunately no matter what you feel about this case, this is how the system works.

The OJ case was an entirely different situation and a failure of due process.
  15. RobAllan

RobAllan Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

They're both a shameful examples of absolute failures. That said, I don't find that the previous OJ verdict makes this any more tenable. 2 wrongs and all that...

I also get you weren't saying this balances it all out, but I have seen that opinion elsewhere and guess I felt the need to vent since I decided to read news on Sunday morning.
  16. Froob

Froob Rookie

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -3

#32 Jersey

Don't really know one way or the other what happened but I didn't like that they showed pictures of Travon as like a 5 year old when talking about the case. Kinda hurts their credibility imo. Again, I don't have a feel one way or another haven't followed the case closely enough. Seems to be two very different stories out there.
  17. moosekill

moosekill Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -2

Just a question to throw out there.

If what was told in court is accurate, is it wrong for me to see someone, who doesn't live in my neighborhood, who is hanging around at night, call the police and see where he is going? Does that give him the right to attack me, brutally beat me, break my nose, smash my head against the pavement? And if he does that to me, does it make it wrong for me to protect myself?

Those are all the facts we have. I have no idea if they are right or wrong, of course the people that dispute that have even less idea of what is went on.
  18. moosekill

moosekill Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -2

I know right, imagine actually using facts to find someone guilty or innocent.
  19. borg

borg Rookie

Ratings:
    +101 / 3 / -11

Here's a scenario that is taking place in my neighbor that has lots of similarities to the circumstances that lead up to the Martin shooting. I live in a very large gated development in S. Florida with several subdivisions. Multiple security vehicles patrol full time. Because of the real estate crash, many homes now get rented dirt cheap and this has brought in an influx of undesirable tenants that have caused lots of problems. In particular, a wave of break ins (homes/cars) has occurred in the past year and everyone....homeowners, security, and police know exactly who is committing the robberies, but they haven't caught the "minor" red handed. Everyone in the neighborhood is on the lookout for this kid...to catch him in the act. They'll see him walk between a house and disappear, only to learn hours later that the house has been robbed. Our full time security is basically the same as George Zimmerman. Both are/were sanctioned by the Home Owners Association to patrol the neighborhoods. Having had several conversations with our guards about their duties, and the duties of neighborhood patrols in general, they are completely useless. They have no real authority, they are not allowed out of their vehicles, and if they see this kid ducking behind houses, they aren't allowed to call the cops based on suspicion. And the kid never gets caught and the break ins continue. Operating under these rules of non-engagement does no good if the goal is to have a crime free neighborhood. So I can absolutely understand why Zimmerman ignored instructions and continued to surveil Trevon Martin. Calling the police then retreating will never catch them in the act.
    My particular subdivision has been spared from the break ins, but this kid has been spotted casing the neighborhood on his bike looking for unlocked vehicles and open garage doors. If I see the kid, I'm following him....my neighbors will be following him. His thefts take no more than 30 seconds, so unless a cop is waiting in the shadows to observe the actual crime, this kid will never be caught......unless a proactive citizen takes on that responsibility.
    My point in all this is that I can understand Zimmerman's frame of mind, why he took on the citizen's patrol duty in the first place and why he continued to follow Martin. As far as his possession of a gun, under Florida laws, he was legally within his rights. Licensed by the state. Should Zimmerman not have volunteered for citizen patrol in his crime riddled neighborhood? Should Zimmerman not have been carrying the gun the State of Florida has said he is allowed to carry.....while on patrol in a crime riddled area?
    As far as self defense goes, would someone provide me the correct number of times you have to have your head slammed into the pavement before you are legally allowed to defend yourself. After the first head slam, should the person being slammed think to himself ..."I must wait for 6 more head blows before I can use my legal firearm to defend myself."
  20. RhodyPatriot

RhodyPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 12 / -5

Wow, you bought the media's fictional race baiting account of what happened and swallowed it whole. :rolleyes: I believe the term is Sheeple.

Sorry but people have a right to patrol their own neighborhoods and people have a right to carry firearms.
    People also have a right to question who you are and why you are at a certain location.
    It is your right not to answer those questions.
    What people don't have the right to do is lay hands on you, break your nose and smash your head against the sidewalk.
    Hate to add facts to this thread but EYEWITNESS testimony puts 6' 1" 185 lb Trayvon Martin on top of 5' 8" 194 lb George Zimmerman and punching him in the head. Oh and where the physical confrontation took place is not where Zimmerman and Martin originally met up. Zimmerman had walked away from Martin and gone back to his vehicle. It was Martin who then followed Zimmerman and attacked him.
    Someone is attacking me or my loved ones in that manner and I have a gun you can rest assured I'll use it and justifiably so.

Moral of this story is simple - if you're going to physically attack someone make sure they don't have a weapon.

When it comes to jocks opining on any topic other than their sport of choice I just laugh. Very few are the best and brightest. VERY few. ;)