PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Owners, this guy bent you over and gave it to you big time

I understand a player strike was avoided and the concussion suit was settled, but I thought they were making money hand over fist along with obscene TV ratings before 07. Did he really invent slicing bread?

I often think he's just another empty suit PR man. He should feel guilty taking 44 mil when diehard fans have to sometimes shell out $1000 each for nosebleed season tix.

Exactly a monkey could do his job. He took over a business that is guaranteed moneymaker.

Here's what he did:
1. Screwed up bountygate
2. Replacement Referee screwup
3. Redskins name fiasco
4. Pushing London
5. Giving Haslem the Browns knowing he was being investigated by the FBI

He's a senator's son who has been handed the golden egg. Reminds me of the song fortunate son by CCR

Remarkable, especially considering that he oversees a group of businesses that receive tax breaks.

I think you have the NFL front office's status as a non-profit confused with the group of businesses that do pay taxes, the 32 NFL teams.

Teams pay taxes on their profits. The NFL front office is set up to coordinate league business at the behest of the Board of Directors, the team owners. The NFL league office earns no money, is funded by the owners, and pays no taxes as it is a non profit org.

Now some here have criticized tax breaks like those subsidizing entertainment expenses that corporations use when they buy luxury boxes to entertain their big clients or politicians whose vote on issue X they're lobbying for, but that's a different tangential issue.

Remarkable, especially considering that he oversees a group of businesses that receive tax breaks.

I'm sure there's some argument to be made there but I don't know enough of the tax code to know what deductions and credits NFL teams are able to claim on their profits - I'm sure there are a lot of them, and I'm sure they're ones that Joes like everyone in this thread couldn't hope to touch, but that's not the big issue.

Rather, the big issue is not that they receive tax breaks, but rather that NFL franchises are subsidized by public dollars through building stadiums and other facilities as well as infrastructure. In other words, some of the money owners saved by having the taxpayer build their stadiums went into Goodell's pockets. Do you think a league consisting of franchises owned in the manner of the Packers - which would be just as profitable, but provide more of a social good - would be paying its commissioner $40m+ each year?

Do you think a league consisting of franchises owned in the manner of the Packers - which would be just as profitable, but provide more of a social good - would be paying its commissioner $40m+ each year?

Absolutely. Unless you can show me the Packers voted against Goodell's current contract.

Also -- "owned in the manner of the Packets" -- you mean how the 1950s-era shareholders used a 1000-to-1 dilution to make sure they, and only they, have control over how the team is run?

Absolutely. Unless you can show me the Packers voted against Goodell's current contract.

Also -- "owned in the manner of the Packets" -- you mean how the 1950s-era shareholders used a 1000-to-1 dilution to make sure they, and only they, have control over how the team is run?
As the Super Bowl approaches New York much like a blizzard, here are some things to think about: in 2012, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell was paid $29.5 million to run the organization. And that’s not all. The NFL, if you didn’t realize it, exists as a 501 c 6 organization. It’s not for profit!

In order to have that status, the NFL must be run as a charitable foundation. In 2012, they gave away a meager $2.3 million. Almost all of it–$2.1 million– went to the NFL Hall of Fame.

Goodell made 15 times what the group donated to other charities.

Here's the best part: after all that, thanks to creative thinking, the NFL claims it finished the year in the red with negative $316 million.

What else did they spend money on? Well, for one thing, new office construction cost $36 million. That's thirty six million dollars.

Just to put all this in perspective: going by numbers in Forbes, Goodell would come in at around number 28 of the highest paid CEOs in 2012. He made more than the heads of FedEx, AT&T, Heinz, Ford Motors, Goldman Sachs, as well as Rupert Murdoch.

Read more at Roger Goodell makes $44.2 million in last fiscal year - Page 2 - 49erswebzone.com Forum

NFL defends, explains Goodell's $44 million compensation-

Commissioner Roger Goodell made $44.2 million last year. But he didn't actually make $44.2 million.

In actuality, he earned $35.1 million in salary, bonus, and pension compensation for the one-year period (ending March 31, 2013) covered by the Form 1099, filed by all tax-exempt organizations. The compensation also includes a $5 million incentive payment and a $4.1 million pension payment from the year of the work stoppage, which was paid in 2012.

In other words, Goodell's compensation of nearly $30 million in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2012 was $9.1 million too light. It should have been nearly $39 million that year, with only $35.1 million earned the following 12 months.

Which means he actually made roughly $4 million less from one year to the next.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ds-explains-goodells-44-million-compensation/

Last edited:
I'm sure there's some argument to be made there but I don't know enough of the tax code to know what deductions and credits NFL teams are able to claim on their profits - I'm sure there are a lot of them, and I'm sure they're ones that Joes like everyone in this thread couldn't hope to touch, but that's not the big issue.

Rather, the big issue is not that they receive tax breaks, but rather that NFL franchises are subsidized by public dollars through building stadiums and other facilities as well as infrastructure. In other words, some of the money owners saved by having the taxpayer build their stadiums went into Goodell's pockets. Do you think a league consisting of franchises owned in the manner of the Packers - which would be just as profitable, but provide more of a social good - would be paying its commissioner $40m+ each year?
Puh-leeze. There is nothing more "socially conscious" about the Packers than any other team in the league. They never turned away a buck that was offered them.

Here's the best part: after all that, thanks to creative thinking, the NFL claims it finished the year in the red with negative $316 million.
I've heard this claim before and there is absolutely no legit source to back it up. I'd honestly be interested in reading a legit source verify this number but I'm not buying it - unless the league wrote down their entire ~$800 million settlement against that figure.

But here's the main problem: People ignorantly associate the terms "non-profit organization" with "charitable institution." They believe a non-profit is a charity, which is certainly not the case.

The League has no owners (I'm talking the League itself, not the individual franchises). It doesn't distribute profits to owners, ownership groups, or stockholders. There are no dividends. Therefore it qualifies as a non-profit.

The NFL, if you didn’t realize it, exists as a 501 c 6 organization. It’s not for profit!

In order to have that status, the NFL must be run as a charitable foundation

The NFL is, as you say, a 501(c)(6) not-for-profit organization. It is NOT a charity or charitable foundation, nor is it required to be. 501(c)(6) organizations are trade associations and business associations, not charities.

And the the thing that is the 501(c)(6) is the NFL "umbrella". The 32 teams, to which the vast majority of the revenues flow, are fully-taxable regular businesses.

Puh-leeze. There is nothing more "socially conscious" about the Packers than any other team in the league. They never turned away a buck that was offered them.

Except they take every penny they make and spend it on the team, and public ownership has kept the team in Green Bay. Meanwhile, 60% of the team's concessions stands go to Green Bay-area charities, so by definition they're more of a social good than any other NFL franchise. Even if the structure isn't perfect, it's better than having an owner who is, in many cases, simply a rent-collector.

The NFL is, as you say, a 501(c)(6) not-for-profit organization. It is NOT a charity or charitable foundation, nor is it required to be. 501(c)(6) organizations are trade associations and business associations, not charities.

And the the thing that is the 501(c)(6) is the NFL "umbrella". The 32 teams, to which the vast majority of the revenues flow, are fully-taxable regular businesses.

i'm quoting you here in full because it seems that several Patsfans are unable to grok the concept despite it having been explained in great detail several times.

The owners have set up an administrative office coordinating the $10B tax paying business of the 32 teams. They choose to over pay Goodell. It's their money. They're all far more financially successful than I and I'm financially successful. They're still wrong though. :)

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back