PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL overtime needs to be changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing more credible than calling for a rule change after your team loses. Must be a big Bill Polian fan.

And I have also heard 52% so I'd like a link for that 70% stat.

Buddy. first off relax. second as i stated i saw it on television sorry i cant provide a link for that maybe the info on the score was incorrect just what i heard. I have never liked the OT rules in the NFL so chill ok i am simply expressing my distaste for how the game ended.

Other posters agree with the 52% that doesnt change my opinion on the issue in the least teams should have the chance to match.

Last edited:
If you can't beat the other team in regulation, then you've put the game in the hand of chance.

The NCAA style is so amateur and backyard football esque. I believe the proper overtime system is simply letting each team have at least one possession.

That would make the most sense....

At least this way both teams get a set of downs....

Here's what BB said on WEEI tonight, and I agree with him: Take the average amount of time played from all overtimes to date and make that the overtime period (no sudden death). It would increase the chances of both teams touching the ball. If the coin-flip winner is good enough to put together a 10-minute drive, or however long the OT period is, and score with little or no time left, then they deserve the win. If nobody scores, it ends up in a tie, just like it would now.

Here's what BB said on WEEI tonight, and I agree with him: Take the average amount of time played from all overtimes to date and make that the overtime period (no sudden death). It would increase the chances of both teams touching the ball. If the coin-flip winner is good enough to put together a 10-minute drive, or however long the OT period is, and score with little or no time left, then they deserve the win. If nobody scores, it ends up in a tie, just like it would now.

Would be completely ok with that. I almost like that even better than the chance to match. actually you know what it is better

Sounds like whining to me................
By the way, does Moss have a ring or just a crack pipe???

Cassel Played Very well in the LOSS.

You troll! Jets win and you make an account lol go back under the bridge

Hey quick question how many superbowls have the jets won since the merge???
Shut it..

Last edited:
not sure if this has been mentioned thought it deserved its own thread.

The overtime in the NFL is absolutely ridiculous. 70 percent of teams who win the toss win the game. To play an entire game to lose it based on a coin flip is absolutely insane. The NFL has the absolute worst overtime process of any sport its completely bush league. In such an important game we lose because we had heads.

I think the NFL has to import the college football OT version.
Games being decided on a coin flip is just mental.:mad:

I have a simple resolution. A TD must be scored. No FG's involved. Field position would be king. Ties would come back sometime. Oh well!
DW Toys

Yeah I think that the NFL ot isn't perfect but much better than the college method. However, playing another quarter as an alternative method I have heard is the favorite by experts and even BB himself. Not a full quarter but a designated amount of time.
The college way is by far worse than the NFL's. You take out to many variables by automatically putting the ball on the 25. The idea of a non traditional way is to much for the NFL to handle I think thats why it won't change for awhile if at all.
The fact is field goal range is all a team needs to win in ot and now a days a FG is close to automatic with kickers more accurate every year. I don't agree with the either way I personally agree with BB it works in the NBA. Point blank we had a chance to win that game and couldn't cover Dustin Keller.

OT is fine the way it is. I certainly wouldn't have complained about it if we had the ball first. As others have said, we had chances to stop them and didn't.

It has probably been said lots elsewhere, but kudos to the Pats for taking it to overtime, after being 24-6 down. They showed a lot of balls after a very poor start.

Ehhh.... I've never understood the rationale behind having overtime and then still allowing for tie games. If you can have ties, why the hell bother with overtime in the first place?

The overtime in the NFL is absolutely ridiculous. 70 percent of teams who win the toss win the game. To play an entire game to lose it based on a coin flip is absolutely insane. The NFL has the absolute worst overtime process of any sport its completely bush league. In such an important game we lose because we had heads.

If we had won the toss and the game I doubt this thread would be around. A coin toss is fifty/fifty. Just ask Anton C. :D

I have a simple resolution. A TD must be scored. No FG's involved. Field position would be king. Ties would come back sometime. Oh well!
DW Toys
Thats not a bad idea toys,right off the top of my head i can't see anything wrong with it.

Thats not a bad idea toys,right off the top of my head i can't see anything wrong with it.

Taking field goals out of the game? Way too radical. BB's idea is best, playing a shortened overtime period with no sudden death.

Last edited:
Ehhh.... I've never understood the rationale behind having overtime and then still allowing for tie games. If you can have ties, why the hell bother with overtime in the first place?

Because overtime cuts the chance of ending in a tie down to practically nothing. How many NFL overtimes have ended in a tie with nobody scoring in 15 minutes? BB's idea is a compromise that makes a lot of sense.

Because overtime cuts the chance of ending in a tie down to practically nothing. How many NFL overtimes have ended in a tie with nobody scoring in 15 minutes? BB's idea is a compromise that makes a lot of sense.

I disagree. Yes, overtime cuts down the chance of a tie, but BB's idea increases it. In short, his idea gives you the worst of both worlds.

No idea is perfect, but his is essentially just playing a shortened 5th quarter.

Last edited:
The rules suck unless you win..

Sorry, but this isn't gonna change.

PS - I hate the college OT rules.. no special teams in OT.. no real drives in OT..

Yeah no kidding, you lose an OT game and then say the rules need to be changed. Who didn't see that coming?

I think it should be the first team to get to 6 should win. so you can kick two field goals in tow separate possessions or gives teams the opportunity to go for 7.

This debate has been going on for years. For the longest time the OT records were 50/50 on winning/losing the coin toss, but then a key rule change happened: The kickoffs were moved back to the 30yd line, allowing for better returns and shorter fields for the team that won the coin toss. At that point the percentage started to skew in favor of the toss-winning team.

I'll disagree with Chris here and say that the reason the win % for receiving teams has been going up recently is the changes to the rules affecting the passing game. The pass game, from coverage to pass rush, is more draining on defenders than defending the run. Offenses are built to pass, are better at passing, and pass more than offenses in the past.

By the 4th quarter and/or overtime period, unless you have a very deep bench, your pass defense and pass rush are usually shot. Consequently it is easy for an offense to walk down the field and kick a field goal.

Obviously Chris is also right, the 5-10 yards you gain off a non-touchback kickoff help immensely in adjusting overtime odds. But it's no secret that, as the NFL has transitioned from a run league to a pass league, not only has scoring gone up and fewer games been going to overtime, but fewer overtime periods are ending in ties. It simply is getting easier and easier for offenses to score late.

nfl games last a while, and i think the broadcasting stations would like to keep OT as short as possible.

personally i find sudden death overtime exciting.

I absolutely agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back