PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL officials [mergedx4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaBrady

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
NFL officials [mergedx2]

Now that NBA official(s) is getting busted for fixing games, do you guys think it is possible that the same thing could be going on in the NFL? Like those "BS" pass interference and holding calls are not just judgement calls after all!

I dont even want to imagine what would happen to the game if something like this gets discovered. What do you guys think?

Re: NFL officials

That would be nuts

i don't know exactly how the basketball refereeing works, but i think it may be harder to pull off in the nfl. There are a lot of officials out on the field at once. The head official may be able to side with one team when a call is a coin flip, but their performance is assessed every game (hence the referees who make it to the post-season). Seems a bit complicated to orchestrate, do-able but tough.

Also, there are a lot of basketball games. Games can slip under the radar of nba executives, but in football they are under the microscope.

Last edited:

well then we'd finally know how Peyton managed to get to the superbowl.

I've been saying all along that the refs have been screwing the pats since 2005

well then we'd finally know how Peyton managed to get to the superbowl.

I've been saying all along that the refs have been screwing the pats since 2005

Manning winning a SB was an inevitability, the officiating and rule "emphasizing" was just going to get more obvious and one-sided until that happened.

From a business standpoint, Manning NOT winning a SB and the Pats continuing to win SB's was bad for business from the NFL's point-of-view. How could they generate more interest in the game if one team dominates? And how could they promote a player in 50 different commercials who was a posterboy for choke-aholics?

Manning winning a SB was an inevitability, the officiating and rule "emphasizing" was just going to get more obvious and one-sided until that happened.

From a business standpoint, Manning NOT winning a SB and the Pats continuing to win SB's was bad for business from the NFL's point-of-view. How could they generate more interest in the game if one team dominates? And how could they promote a player in 50 different commercials who was a posterboy for choke-aholics?

Bingo. How else could one explain the phantom flags on Troy Brown and Hobbs and also the non-pass interference call on Caldwell when he was in the back of the end zone. It's pissing me off just thinking about the AFCCG and the league's man love for Pay-me-a-ton.

Bingo. How else could one explain the phantom flags on Troy Brown and Hobbs and also the non-pass interference call on Caldwell when he was in the back of the end zone. It's pissing me off just thinking about the AFCCG and the league's man love for Pay-me-a-ton.

Don't forget that it was fathered by the Troy Brown "taunting" call and the interference on Asante's pick in the regular season. Oh, that and Vrabel's "hands to the face" when he grazed Dallas Clark's belt - un-frickin-believable.

and don't forget about the final drive of the AFC championship game, the icing on the cake, was the b.s. "roughing the passer" penalty which i believe was called on TBC.

That penalty was so bad they didn't even show the replay...

what a load of crap

and don't forget about the final drive of the AFC championship game, the icing on the cake, was the b.s. "roughing the passer" penalty which i believe was called on TBC.

That penalty was so bad they didn't even show the replay...

what a load of crap

there's a point at which we can't even call them "homefield calls." When there just plain awful

Now that NBA official(s) is getting busted for fixing games, do you guys think it is possible that the same thing could be going on in the NFL? Like those "BS" pass interference and holding calls are not just judgement calls after all!

I dont even want to imagine what would happen to the game if something like this gets discovered. What do you guys think?
The NFL has long been respected as having the best safeguards against such a thing. After all, let's face it... football is the sport most closely associated with gambling. I wouldn't be surprised to see the NBA adopt just as stringent safeguards now given their current crisis.

People like you amaze me... it's tough to tell if you're being serious here since your allegations are so ridiculously absurd, but it's safe to say that there are people who think the league des conspire to rig outcomes.

What do you think the commisioner does...? Sit around and say "let's risk our entire league, our entire business, our personal freedom, risk going to jail and losing our very reputations in order to help Manning win a Super Bowl..!!"

Anyone that knows anything about the logic of risk-reward woudl know how stupid the above sounds.

People like you amaze me... it's tough to tell if you're being serious here since your allegations are so ridiculously absurd, but it's safe to say that there are people who think the league des conspire to rig outcomes.

What do you think the commisioner does...? Sit around and say "let's risk our entire league, our entire business, our personal freedom, risk going to jail and losing our very reputations in order to help Manning win a Super Bowl..!!"

Anyone that knows anything about the logic of risk-reward woudl know how stupid the above sounds.

Ummmm.... you can't go to jail for telling your employees to throw certain flags and not throw others.

So the "emphasis" of the 5-yard rule was done to favor who exactly? Not the Pats. In a league that prides itself on parity, the Pats winning every year is a catastrophe for the NFL.

Ummmm.... you can't go to jail for telling your employees to throw certain flags and not throw others.
Ummmm... you can go to jail for telling emplyoees to rig the outcome of a sporting event... certain people in this thread have certainly implied that the refs were in on that... so I am making sure those people understand the risk-reward of the league rigging the outcomes of certain games...

But, as far as "throwing certain flags and not throwing others" is concerned... if you paranoid conspiracy theorists think the NFL was trying to help Peyton win a Super Bowl by going with certain rules emphasis, I can't really help you there. Personally I believe it's not true... but if you believed such a thing actually has happened, I can't imagine why in the world you would continue to follow the NFL... If I ever thought the league office was deliberately favoring one team over another, that would be the last time I ever watched an NFL game.

Last edited:

So the "emphasis" of the 5-yard rule was done to favor who exactly? Not the Pats.
I don't think it was done as a deliberate attempt to favor or disfavor any single team.
In a league that prides itself on parity, the Pats winning every year is a catastrophe for the NFL.
Don't be ridiculous. A dynasty is never a bad thing for any sport.

Look... I know you want to adopt the "everyone is out to get us" mentality that is quite popular 'round these parts... but ya know what..? Sometimes a rule change is just a rule change (or, in this case, "emphasis").

Last edited:

I don't think it was done as a deliberate attempt to favor or disfavor any single team.

Let's see, after the 2004 AFC title game, Indy whines about the Pats playing too physical, then there is a "re-emphasis" of the 5-yard contact rule in the offseason.

Don't be ridiculous. A dynasty is never a bad thing for any sport.

Look... I know you want to adopt the "everyone is out to get us" mentality that is quite popular 'round these parts... but ya know what..? Sometimes a rule change is just a rule change (or, in this case, "emphasis").

Yeah, a dynasty IS bad for a sport, especially the NFL. You can't generate interest in a sport that has the same team winning year in and year out. Free agency, the draft, scheduling, it's all about bringing teams to the middle. Care to remember games 2-6 of the 2005 season?

at Carolina, at Pittsburgh, vs San Diego, at Atlanta, at Denver

You think the NFL may have wanted to derail a 3-peat?

If I ever thought the league office was deliberately favoring one team over another, that would be the last time I ever watched an NFL game.

After the 2005 playoffs culminated in the joke that was Super Bowl XL (Pittsburgh/Seattle), I was convinced the officiating was shady.

Conspiracy theories suck...I am going to go on believing the NFL officials are clean until there is real evidence to the contrary. but donahay makes you think.

Let's see, after the 2004 AFC title game, Indy whines about the Pats playing too physical, then there is a "re-emphasis" of the 5-yard contact rule in the offseason.
Yes, that's what happened... and 3 years before that, the Raiders whined just as much and got no response. Point being that the NFL listens to complaints and issues and makes rulings based on what they think is best for the league without favoring or disfavoring any one particular team. I don't think Tagliabue said "We have to help Indianapolis here and hurt New England..."

Sometimes a rule change is just a rule change.

Yeah, a dynasty IS bad for a sport, especially the NFL.
No it isn't.
at Carolina, at Pittsburgh, vs San Diego, at Atlanta, at Denver

You think the NFL may have wanted to derail a 3-peat?
Newsflash: The teams on NE's schedule are decided by a pre-determined formula that includes 2 games against each divisional foe, a 3-year rotation amongst the AFC division, a 4 year rotation amongst the NFC and 2 other games played based on where the teams finish in the standings. If the Pats have a tough schedule in any given year, it's due to the fact that that's how the stars aligned.

After the 2005 playoffs culminated in the joke that was Super Bowl XL (Pittsburgh/Seattle), I was convinced the officiating was shady.
This is the ridiculous logic I don't understand... if you think the officiating is shady, then why do you follow football..? If I ever believed what you are saying, my days as a football fan would be over.

The 2005 playoffs have been discussed before. I think there is an unconscious bias amongst referees to favor home teams because of intimidation from the home crowd. 10 of the 11 egregious calls from that year's playoffs favored the home team*. That is an issue I feel needs to be addressed, but that doesn't mean a deliberate attempt to see to it that some teams beat others.

*For the sake of argument, I am considering the Super Bowl a Pittsburgh "home game" because of the absolutely overwhelming loyalty of the fans in attendance.

Last edited:

Conspiracy theories suck...I am going to go on believing the NFL officials are clean until there is real evidence to the contrary. but donahay makes you think.
Fortunately, in the NFL, no one single official carries as much influence as an individual NBA ref. An NBA ref can have a huge impact on any game, but are you going to bribe a NFL back judge and then just hope a major play comes to him for a ruling...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes