PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL not allowing teams to rest starters week 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALP

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
hey guys,

I remember a couple of years back it became a big issue about how teams were resting their starting after having won their division and not going all out week 15 and 16

the NFL made those last weeks division games for that reason, I was wondering if any of you could find me some proof of this? something that mentions how the NFL does not allow teams to lose a game....

I need it for a debate with a friend, and my own powers of research are failing me

Thanks

thank you sir, this will do just fine

IMO that's really how it should be

Ok dude, your profile pic...is freaky...and kinda creepy. :D

Teams are free to lose as many games as they want and play any players they want, this is America.

The NFL is rough sometimes there are severe injuries like broken arms, intense pain one moment, followed by a miracle cure the next week.
Oh my arm! It's broken!!! - YouTube

Teams are still allowed to rest starters. What the move does is increase the number of games in the last few weeks of the season that are meaningful. The result of this is two fold. Less resting of starters in only on benefit. The real benefit is increased TV viewers. Not withstanding a game in 2007 in which a guaranteed 1 seed played a guaranteed 5 seed in week 17 with record viewership, for the most part a game in which is meaningful gets better viewership than one that is not. Better viewership means more money.

The Colts were the biggest offenders.

Somehow I don't see the Colts going balls to the wall game 16 of this season either.

I'm sure Goodell will fine them a 1st round draft pick for flaunting his directive. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye