PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL, NFLPA quickly accept invitation to use Magistrate Judge for settlement talks

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...use-of-magistrate-judge-for-settlement-talks/
I really hope the PA doesnt settle anything oter than having another independent arbitrator appointed at the most. Would hate if brady is cornered to accept a 1 or 2 game deal.

I would like to think that Brady would rather sit 4 games and maintain his innocence rather than settle for 1 game and admit guilt.

Someone posted a link to First Take that had Bayless saying Brady might sit out the year and tell the NFL to kiss his ass. I hope that is not the case.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...use-of-magistrate-judge-for-settlement-talks/
I really hope the PA doesnt settle anything oter than having another independent arbitrator appointed at the most. Would hate if brady is cornered to accept a 1 or 2 game deal.

If he starts this season like he did the last one, a brief suspension might not be the end of the world. :D

Seriously, I think his bottom line is no admission of cheating and nothing that can be construed as an admission of cheating. So on the table for settlement are:
  • Definitely a fine (that's an easy business decision to make).
  • Possibly admission of guilt for non-cooperation (I hope not).
  • Possibly a waiver of a right to a defamation suit (I hope not, or rather I hope only in the case that his side has reluctantly decided such a suit can't be pursued anyway).
  • Possibly one game (I hope not, because it would be seen as an admission of guilt).
Brady would surely accept a re-hearing with a neutral arbitrator, but the league would strongly resist that.

The Nfl will not settle on this. They will push for 4 games and nothing less.

Wouldn't be surprised if they push for more games because of the damage he has brought to the league.
If they did that the judge would just vacate the penalties because the NFL will be negotiating in bad faith by looking to increase, which they can't do anyway.

If Brady did nothing wrong, which I truly believe, then I would hope that he doesn't agree to any penalty other than a $50K fine based on the precedent set by Favre's punishment.

If he's innocent then he shouldn't accept anything more than that just to expedite the case or keep the judge happy.

I'm with others here who would rather see Brady fight it as long as possible and risk a 4 game suspension than accept a 1 game suspension without a fight

If he starts this season like he did the last one, a brief suspension might not be the end of the world. :D

Seriously, I think his bottom line is no admission of cheating and nothing that can be construed as an admission of cheating. So on the table for settlement are:
  • Possibly a waiver of a right to a defamation suit (I hope not, or rather I hope only in the case that his side has reluctantly decided such a suit can't be pursued anyway).
  • Possibly one game (I hope not, because it would be seen as an admission of guilt).
Brady would surely accept a re-hearing with a neutral arbitrator, but the league would strongly resist that.
The NFL must know if there is a neutral arbitrator, they lose. All it would take is to say they were warned of this and they failed to collect and record reliable data, so no conclusion can be reached. Maybe they want that.

On the other hand, if they settle for a fine and on suspension, they should get Brady's promise not to sue and avoid a court ruling that, if it said what the Missouri court, would require an independent arbitrator for the New York district -- basically always.

The current suit is the NFL vs the NFLPA on behalf of Brady. Brady, the individual, is the one who would file a defamation suit and he's not a party to the current suit. Can Brady, the individual, be a party to the settlement?

The current suit is the NFL vs the NFLPA on behalf of Brady. Brady, the individual, is the one who would file a defamation suit and he's not a party to the current suit. Can Brady, the individual, be a party to the settlement?

Surely. The law isn't THAT stupid.

I've heard some say that Brady would need to give something up in order for it to appear as if he's negotiating in good faith, but I'm not convinced of that. I think that Brady's team could argue convincingly that, since no evidence points toward his involvement, the team penalty already satisfies any "well something must have happened!" argument.

The Nfl will not settle on this. They will push for 4 games and nothing less.

Wouldn't be surprised if they push for more games because of the damage he has brought to the league.

They can't add games on. That would get thrown out for all the same reasons the Rice punishment did.

Agrees to fine and no admission of guilt.

Even if it is 1 game I won't be happy. Hope those earlier reports are bs false.

Fine and possibly agreeing to not sue for defamation? Not so sure I agree with this either. He has every right to sue if he wants to. They played dirty and were conniving. Who knows though, if the judge knows the CBA was butchered, that may be a sign of negotiating in good faith in his eyes?

I would like to think that Brady would rather sit 4 games and maintain his innocence rather than settle for 1 game and admit guilt.

Someone posted a link to First Take that had Bayless saying Brady might sit out the year and tell the NFL to kiss his ass. I hope that is not the case.

If Brady did nothing wrong, which I truly believe, then I would hope that he doesn't agree to any penalty other than a $50K fine based on the precedent set by Favre's punishment.

If he's innocent then he shouldn't accept anything more than that just to expedite the case or keep the judge happy.

I'm with others here who would rather see Brady fight it as long as possible and risk a 4 game suspension than accept a 1 game suspension without a fight

Yes but brady need to offer something.As I mentioned in another thread, NFLPA George atallah said on dan patrick show that the NFLPA offered a settlement during arbitration of fine only and no games but nfl never made a counter offer. When asked if nfl makes it 2 games will brady take it, he said he has to ask tom. Now under the pressure of the judge and magistrate what is the counter offer brady offers if the NFL says 2 games. ? Especially now that brady said after the appeal got upheld that he and the team did nothing wrong dont know what brady can offer other than simply neutral arbitration again. Strangely the court case is about CBA abuse so not sure what brady will do in the negotiations here either so maybe the compromise must come from NFLPA in some sort.I think.

Yes but brady need to offer something.As I mentioned in another thread, NFLPA George atallah said on dan patrick show that the NFLPA offered a settlement during arbitration of fine only and no games but nfl never made a counter offer. When asked if nfl makes it 2 games will brady take it, he said he has to ask tom. Now under the pressure of the judge and magistrate what is the counter offer brady offers if the NFL says 2 games. ? Especially now that brady said after the appeal got upheld that he and the team did nothing wrong dont know what brady can offer other than simply neutral arbitration again. Strangely the court case is about CBA abuse so not sure what brady will do in the negotiations here either so maybe the compromise must come from NFLPA in some sort.I think.

The case is about CBA procedures or whatever but if Brady tells the judge "I cannot accept that because I truly did not do anything" then the judge will have to work with that.

I know that no one wants to even ponder this possibility, but is one game really going to make people think any less of him at this point? That ship may have sailed. One may argue that there's really nowhere to go but up, particularly after last week. By reducing it from 4 games to 1 game, it would likely been seen as a major victory for him at this point. Even the anti-Brady fans from opposing teams are getting sick of this bull crap.

That said, I'd want the one game to be for non-compliance, rather than a suggestion of guilt. I realize that it doesn't jibe with the CBA for non-compliance, but the NFL makes stuff up as they go along anyway, so it may not be an issue. What I don't want is this to drag into the winter months throughout the entire 2015 season, with Goodell appealing decisions, and us fans constantly waiting for the next step in the process, etc. If one game for non-compliance would put it to bed once and for all, I'd at least consider it.

No offense but that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Not possible to be true

Yeah, that's pretty odd to even consider.

That's a textbook definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face, and Tom Brady is not going to hurt his team or suppress his competitive desire by pouting on the sidelines. That's not even bringing the financial aspect from NE or Brady into the picture, which would muddy the waters significantly and possibly even end his prestigious career here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes