PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Network - top 10 clutch QB's of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
If allowing an Eli Manning led offense to drive 86 yards down the field with the biggest game in modern NFL history on the line isn't choking, then I really don't know what it is.

That's on par with saying "I also didn't realize that giving up any runs until the 9th inning was a choke." Giving up the only two TDs to the opposing team in the final quarter of the biggest game in franchise history is called choking.

Bottom line of the game was...

Offense was dreadful, but showed up when it finally mattered.
Defense was great for 3 quarters, but choked when it really mattered.

Brady set up the defense to win the game on Eli's final drive and they failed to do so.

Don't forget to mention during that last drive that the refs let the Giants OL hold and facemask our pass rushers on every play without penalty, Mr. moneybags AS dropping game winning INT, and lets not forget BB punting on a 4th and 2 and then passing up a 49 yard FG on a 4th and 13, not to mention the awful play calling by McDaniels. Lots of blame to go around. Team loss.

Here's what I remember about those:

1. under level of assault that would make Elway and Montana look really really REALLY bad....he did not turn the ball over, led heroic fourth quarter drive, threw perfect bomb at end that Giants' coaches said cornerback made "play of the game" (not Tyree catch). Had best season in QBing history, made several late come from behind efforts last year....nothing about last year diminishes in any way his clutchness. Please tell me if I'm missing something.

2. we all know why Manning eaked this out.....Reche+Gaffney+Brown+old Corey Dillon <<<<< Harrison+Wayne+Stokley+Clark....yes, even Peyton's DEFENSE was superior to Tom's in that game. Sometimes I think that was still tom's best season....even with 2007.

3. do you remember who his go-to receiver was on that play....I do....the venerable and elderly Troy Brown....going up against the best cover corner in the game, and who JUMPED THE ROUTE....there is a difference between a bad throw (offensive pick) and a great risky play (defensive pick). That was not a choke. Denver had the lead and were the underdogs so they could afford to let Champ guess in the red zone and be aggressive....Pats fans have trouble acknowledging the other team sometimes (i.e. giants front seven gets paid too).

Nobody mentioned the 02 season when they didn't make the playoffs....was that because of a choke by 12? Go back and watch the last regular season game and find out. that year they had arguably the worst defense since BB has been here....along with 2005.

And to whoever mentioned the "Vinatieri factor"....please, enough. Joe Montana had a roster of talent beyond the kicker that were superior to the opponent. I'll never forget how Janikowski nailed his kicks in the snow game and Adam barely made them over....made them look a lot tougher because he never had a big leg....sorry, but that debate is over....nobody thinks Tom was the lucky product of having a great kicker....it was an insane argument to begin with, and now we have a substantial body of evidence....consistently sustained dominance over a long period despite a revolving cast around him.

Would Joe have gone 4-0 in parity Super Bowls?....keep in mind how much tougher it is to win parity super bowls.

Elway was perhaps the most gifted and talented QB to ever play....he was not however, at any point in his career, the level of QB that Brady is. Period.

Joe was great, so was John. Joe wasn't tasked with nearly as much responsibility in his offense as Tom is. He wasn't asked to improvise and read the defense, he was asked to run the play that was called....and he did that with great skill, but we're seriously overrating the guy. I'd put Marino above Montana. And I'd put Tom way ahead of Marino....that's just me.

In my book, clutch is just a synonym for greatness.

You can single him out for the 3 postseason losses, if and only if you credit him solely with the 14 wins. He's amassing the greatest postseason record in history -- during the most competitive era of the league -- and some on this board value the lows as being on par with all the highlights. That's sad.

Let's not act spoiled. Open your eyes. We're probably witnessing and appreciating the greatest and most clutch passer the league has ever known.

being "clutch" is about making plays....sometimes the other team gets the ball with 2 minutes left....that doesn't make 12 any less clutch.

"Open your eyes??" "Let's not act spoiled??" I hardly think putting Brady behind Montana as the most clutch QB in history is "acting spoiled." You must have missed the "top 5 all time qb even if retires now" comment.

It's difficult to compare personnel across eras. Clearly, it's more difficult to sustain success now. Does that mean Montana couldn't do it now? We don't know the answer to that question.

Tom Brady has done more with less than any other quarterback in memory. He's made some of the most pressure-packed throws in NFL history with ease. If he plays for a few more years at anything resembling a high level, he'll be (or at least he should be) recognized as the greatest quarterback ever to take the field.

So to say that those three shortcomings (of which he was not wholly responsible, as I said earlier) on his resume makes him, at the moment, the 2nd "most clutch" QB behind Montana is hardly a shot. It's hardly "acting spoiled". Brady can go 3 for 1300 with 1000 INT's for the rest of his career, and I'll still be just as thankful and appreciative of all he's done for the Patriots....

NFL Network's Top 10 Clutch QB's of All Time

10. Dan Marino
09. Steve Young
08. Bart Star
07. Otto Graham
06. Ken Stabler
05. Johnny Unitis
04. Roger Stawbach
03. Tom Brady
02. John Elway
01. Joe Montana

Ummmm, if you have no ring and were given several chances, how can you be an all-time "clutch" QB? Marino and Unitis? As over rated as I think Favre is, how is he not on the list and they are? And how about Bradshaw with 4 rings? Aikman with 3? This list is a joke.

Elway #2??

Yeah, he had The Drive and all, but in 5 Superbowl appearances he stunk in 4 of them. I'd switch him with Tom on that list.

:ditto:

I don't think clutch can only be defined by the number of rings. Bradshaw and Aikman had very good team around them when they won those Super Bowls, they didn't do it by themselves. But for both Bradshaw and Aikman, their level of play went down as soon as their team wasn't as good. I remember Aikman against the Panthers in the 1996 playoffs, and he had 2 or 3 drives in the 4th quarter with the opportunity to come back and he choked each time. He couldn't take an average Cowboys team in the late 90's and put them in the elite with his play, such as a clutch player would have done.

Then, if we take Elway, he has the most 4th quarter comebacks in league's history which is a good 'clutch player' indicator if there's one (the other one would be that he is number 2 on the all-time list for most victories by a starting QB). But without those Super Bowls the last 2 years, his legacy would be quite different. And he didn't even played that good against the Packers (in fact, he probably played worse than against the Giants in Super Bowl 21). If Elway had retired in 1996, he would be ranked behind Marino, despite being the same player we know now.

Bottom line to evaluate players, the number of rings is relevant, but it shouldn't be the one an only factor.

As over rated as I think Favre is, how is he not on the list and they are? And how about Bradshaw with 4 rings? Aikman with 3? This list is a joke.

Good Ol' Boy Gunslingers Bradshaw & Lord Favre do not deserve to be on that list, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back