PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Network...same cost everywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeeba

Rookie
Reaction score
I already pay waaaay to much for cable but I was willing to buck up the $5 for the one channel I watch every day. I called Comcast and they said the "sports tier" is $7.99 !?!?! No thanks

I just have to draw the line somewhere. I pray for FiOS to come to Westford soon.

I know different towns have different prices. What are you guys paying?

Also, I'm not sure for how long this will work but my NFL On Demand still works!

Last edited:
Re: NFL Network....same cost everywhere?

I already pay waaaay to much for cable but I was willing to buck up the $5 for the one channel I watch every day. I called Comcast and they said the "sports tier" is $7.99 !?!?!
I just have to draw the line somewhere. I pray for Fios soon.

Also, I'm not sure for how long this will work but my NFL On Demand still works!

Patriots On Demand works as part of that. I'm with you on cable already costing too much. What a disappointment, the NFL Network is about the only channel I watch these days. I need to know more about this Fios.

I already pay waaaay to much for cable but I was willing to buck up the $5 for the one channel I watch every day. I called Comcast and they said the "sports tier" is $7.99 !?!?!
I just have to draw the line somewhere. I pray for Fios soon.

I did the same. If anyone knows of cheaper options please step forward. These prices are getting ridiculous.

As the players say, it's a business. Pay up or find something else to do :(

I don't even dare add up what it costs me for Sunday Ticket and the various other channels I pay for solely for Patriots' stuff.

I'm with you on cable already costing too much. What a disappointment, the NFL Network is about the only channel I watch these days. I need to know more about this Fios.

At least you have the option to get the NFL Network through your cable provider. Charter still does not carry it.

If you live in the town of norwood, the town's own broadband company (norwood light) offers the nfl network as part of their digital basic package. I don't believe they have plans to charge extra for the channel.

To all Comcast customers mad about the NFLN switching over to a sports tier:

Just be happy you still have access to the NFLN. As a Charter customer (essentially outside of 495), we haven't tasted the NFLN since December 2005. That means no Patriots onDemand (which we never had anyway, since it was a Comcast-exclusive deal), no NFLN onDemand, and none of the programming on the NFLN - that includes the regular season games, NFLE games, non-Pats preseason games, and most importantly, NFL Replay. When the NFLN replayed the Pats-Raiders Snow Bowl, I was dying just to set my DVD recorder to Channel 316 (NFLN on Charter) and actually have something record.

Sigh...

(And oh, by the way: Charter always had NFLN on a sports tier. Charter still is living in the dark ages when it comes to Digital Cable - their boxes and interface hasn't changed in at least 6 or 7 years. They add channels like TVG (Horse racing) and the Tennis Channel, while eliminating channels like the NFLN and disregarding channels like NBATV. As far as their setup goes, they have basic cable (~25 channels), expanded basic (~75 channels, non-Digital), and then two tiers: a family/kids/music tier (DIY, MTV2, etc.) and a sports tier (ESPNews, ESPNClassic, FoxSportsGlobal, etc.), one of which you choose from for free. That's it, besides their movie, PPV, and MusicChoice tiers. The only sports games packages they carry are MLB games and (I think) NHL games, both of which are pretty expensive. So, DirectTV folks, that means no Sunday Ticket or any of that. Hooray exclusivity!)

(And they just jacked up their prices. Fantastic.)

Personally, I think that the sports tier is well worth $8. The choice is yours. 1 had already chosen to have the sports tier. COMCAST chose to move NFLN to thei sports tier. It didn't affect me.

In New Jersey I feel lucky and NFLN only costs 1.99 a month. Thank god you don't need any sports tier packages.

I already pay waaaay to much for cable but I was willing to buck up the $5 for the one channel I watch every day. I called Comcast and they said the "sports tier" is $7.99 !?!?! No thanks

I just have to draw the line somewhere. I pray for FiOS to come to Westford soon.

FiOS internet is ready for Grafton now, but still not TV. Can't wait for the day.

Here's the reason why it's taking so long:

http://www.boston.com/business/tech...verizon_suspends_push_for_mass_tv_franchises/

This is weird... I called Comcast and asked them how much would it be to add NFLN and they said $5. I live in Northern Virgnia. I feel your pain guys, but I wonder if those Comcast reps even know what they are talking about. I will let you know how much it is here in a month when I sign up for it!

I just lost my NFL network the other day (although on demand still works and is free??) I spoke to comcast and was able to cancel my 200's channels , which I didn't know I payed for and don't watch, and added the sports tier. I saved $12.00 and added NFL for $8.00. Everly little bit helps.

I get it for free on DTV

I needed the Digital Preferred (the $12 charge) to properly receive DVR and On-Demand. Also, you will get several more sports channels in addition to NFLN.

I pay Comcast $150 a month for cable, unlimited long distance phone, internet, hi-def, DVR and on-demand. Included in the $150 is the $20 in extras that you mention (Digital Preferred and Sports Entertainment). My wife and I do watch lots of the 200 channels. It is simply a matter of choice.

I do think that the NFL should the NFL should find some way to require games they sell to be available in all areas. ESPN is, NFLN is not. But then, I suppose all are available through Direct TV.

I just lost my NFL network the other day (although on demand still works and is free??) I spoke to comcast and was able to cancel my 200's channels , which I didn't know I payed for and don't watch, and added the sports tier. I saved $12.00 and added NFL for $8.00. Everly little bit helps.

Last edited:

Too bad there isn't a package with only NFLN, and then other channels only when they are showing football.

Too bad there isn't a package with only NFLN, and then other channels only when they are showing football.

I think we should be able to subscribe to individual channels a la carte, and have your cable bill based on that. It would be nice to whittle down all the garbage to about 20 channels you KNOW you'd like to choose from.

It's one thing to never of had the NFLN, but to have it then have it ripped away from you is another thing. I don't see my cable bill going down now that I have fewer channels.

And Mgtech...you are proving my point...you are paying over $150 for your services.....stop and think about that...almost 2 K a year!!

Through my research, it sounds like the NFL is not innocent in this too. They were looking for top dollar for their network even though it does not pull in great numbers. Then they were forcing the hand of the companies by having national games only on the NFLN. So it's not all Comcast’s fault (but I still can't stand them).

Go Pats

It's one thing to never of had the NFLN, but to have it then have it ripped away from you is another thing. I don't see my cable bill going down now that I have fewer channels.

Exactly. The bill is the same, the services less. Truth be told, within weeks the bill will likely go up and it will cost more for less service.

I think we should be able to subscribe to individual channels a la carte, and have your cable bill based on that. It would be nice to whittle down all the garbage to about 20 channels you KNOW you'd like to choose from.

What, you mean you don't watch QVC or the 24 hour All-Ronco all the time channel???? It's a great idea but it will never happen. We have DirecTV for TV and Fios Internet for internet access and I wouldn't change it for anything. I don't give Comcast a dime anymore and the only drawback is that we lose satellite in bad storms....
Being far from Boston, DirecTV and Sunday ticket was my option for Pats games and while the price keeps going up (do I sound old or what), watching it on the red zone channel or the 6 games at once on a big screen high def channel is great....

I had installed Fios last wednesday, the quality of the picture is much better but all TV's require a cable box to work for anything but the basic free tv channels like 4, 5, 7, 25.

the NFL Channel is included and I got to inform Comcast that I would never have made the switch but was forced to by the rate increase for the NFL Channel and am now glad I did based on the increase in picture clarity even in High Def

now to figure out the DVR part they included

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes