PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Network really gonna milk this one (Hijacked Version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NFL Network really gonna milk this one

2. NFL announces that in 2007 they will make available at no extra charge up to 8 regular season games on the NFL network - GAMES THAT FOR MOST PEOPLE WOULD NORMALLY NOT EVER HAVE A CHANCE TO SEE.
R

Correct me if I'm wrong, since you think I can't grasp the complexities of this situation, but haven't I been able to see thursday and saturday games in the past? I mean, even before there was an NFLN, didn't we get to see some Thursday and Saturday NFL games on other stations?

The NFL and DirectTV have a contract, that's why.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2002_Dec_11/ai_95202899

The cable companies have not come to any such agreement. That is their privilege in a 'free' market. If people decide that not having NFLN on their cable system is a deal breaker, they should cancel cable and get DirectTV. I've got no problem with that. Just don't buy into the lies put out by the NFL and start buying that garbage that this is all about the common folk.

If the NFLN is on basic cable, the NFL gets paid for every subscriber, every month. If the NFLN is only on a 'package', the NFL gets paid only for those who buy the package, and for the months they have the package for. In other words, most people either won't pay for NFLN or will only get it during the months that have games. This is about cash, not some high ideal about public access. Heck, if it was about public access, the NFL could have given these games to, say, PBS for free.

If it's one of the best programming choices on the dial, why shouldn't they get paid a little something for every subscriber? They gotta pay their production costs including talent and technology too. As it is, the NFL was used by Comcast to entice me to do something I had no desire to do - upgrade to digital cable and pay both a monthly $15 fee plus incessant rental of the box and controller for that proviledge. Then I had to pay an extra $5.95 a month for a sports tier that had nothing I was interested in other than NFLN. Most recently I had to absorb another $11.95 upgrade to keep my NFLN/Patriots content available "free" On Demand... So by merely DOUBLING my cable TV costs which were already ridiculous considering - at the risk of dating myself - cable was as I recall supposed to be commercial free TV for a small fee...:rolleyes:

At the end of the day, anyone who can get it and chooses not to has no one but themselves to blame, and anyone who can't get it needs to take that up with their current cable provider. My cousin and her husband were whining to me about not getting the game Saturday. I said come on over. They said they couldn't because they were having company over. They were pissed that their company could not watch the game on their new 52" plasma they just replaced the 42" with. I asked, do you have comcast? They said yes. I said why don't you just subscribe to the sports tier it's on for another $12 bucks a month or so. They said, it's too expensive, we can't afford it...

If it's one of the best programming choices on the dial, why shouldn't they get paid a little something for every subscriber? They gotta pay their production costs including talent and technology too. As it is, the NFL was used by Comcast to entice me to do something I had no desire to do - upgrade to digital cable and pay both a monthly $15 fee plus incessant rental of the box and controller for that proviledge. Then I had to pay an extra $5.95 a month for a sports tier that had nothing I was interested in other than NFLN. Most recently I had to absorb another $11.95 upgrade to keep my NFLN/Patriots content available "free" On Demand... So by merely DOUBLING my cable TV costs which were already ridiculous considering - at the risk of dating myself - cable was as I recall supposed to be commercial free TV for a small fee...:rolleyes:

At the end of the day, anyone who can get it and chooses not to has no one but themselves to blame, and anyone who can't get it needs to take that up with their current cable provider. My cousin and her husband were whining to me about not getting the game Saturday. I said come on over. They said they couldn't because they were having company over. They were pissed that their company could not watch the game on their new 52" plasma they just replaced the 42" with. I asked, do you have comcast? They said yes. I said why don't you just subscribe to the sports tier it's on for another $12 bucks a month or so. They said, it's too expensive, we can't afford it...

I'm not defending cable companies in the abstract. I despise cable companies and the horrible way that they mistreat their customers. I also find that I'm paying far too much money for a product that I'll likely never use more than 30% of. Each month, and I do mean each and every month when I get the bill, I have an internal debate about whether to cancel cable and either get a dish or just go back to rabbit ears. That being said, Cable companies are like most other companies in modern America. They want the profits and don't give a damn about their customers. Heck, remember when all ATM withdrawals were free? Remember when you didn't have to spend over $200 just on tickets to take the family to see an NFL game? Well, when the NFL slashes ticket prices by 75%, I'll start listening to the claims that it's about the customer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, since you think I can't grasp the complexities of this situation, but haven't I been able to see thursday and saturday games in the past? I mean, even before there was an NFLN, didn't we get to see some Thursday and Saturday NFL games on other stations?

I don't recall Thursday games other than Thanksgiving or Saturday games for that matter. I never got to see replays let alone broadcasts of the best games of the week or any pre season games other than the Pats courtesy of my cable provider... I certainly never got to see the kind of quality programming NFL Films is capable of producing on anything approaching the level NFLN is offering. I recently bought a couple of DVD's for Christmas for my non subscriber Pat's fan friends who love that kind of production called "America's Game"... In fact from mid February to labor day I could't watch a sports channel that covered much of anything football let alone Patriots related. I think that's worth something, and if it was the result of my creative blood, sweat and tears, and part of what pays my on and off field talent and investors, I'd want to use it to leverage cable companies to broaden my market. This is America, no?

Broadcast TV has been fairly destroyed at the behest of the cable giants, and it will be eliminated all together in another year or two. There are actually lots of people in this country who legitimately can't afford cable and aren't gonna see a god damn thing soon - let alone football games, but no one gives a rats ass about what cable has done FOR them...

DI - don't waste money on rabbit ears - there will be nothing for them to pull in shortly.

i think we can all just agree that both parties are complete money hungry crooks.however i dont really have a problem with that, as it is business.

I don't recall Thursday games other than Thanksgiving or Saturday games for that matter. I never got to see replays let alone broadcasts of the best games of the week or any pre season games other than the Pats courtesy of my cable provider... I certainly never got to see the kind of quality programming NFL Films is capable of producing on anything approaching the level NFLN is offering. I recently bought a couple of DVD's for Christmas for my non subscriber Pat's fan friends who love that kind of production called "America's Game"... In fact from mid February to labor day I could't watch a sports channel that covered much of anything football let alone Patriots related. I think that's worth something, and if it was the result of my creative blood, sweat and tears, and part of what pays my on and off field talent and investors, I'd want to use it to leverage cable companies to broaden my market. This is America, no?

Broadcast TV has been fairly destroyed at the behest of the cable giants, and it will be eliminated all together in another year or two. There are actually lots of people in this country who legitimately can't afford cable and aren't gonna see a god damn thing soon - let alone football games, but no one gives a rats ass about what cable has done FOR them...

DI - don't waste money on rabbit ears - there will be nothing for them to pull in shortly.

http://www.nfl.com/schedules?seasonType=REG&season=1995&week=-1#Week

You can find plenty of other years with Thursday and Saturday games just by looking at past schedules. I did have a whole post in response to your other points here, but it's disappeared and I'm not in the mood to retype it (no offense to you intended).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back