PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Network really gonna milk this one (Hijacked Version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NFL Network really gonna milk this one

In the BOSTON GLOBE yesterday:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/12/kerry_presses_n.html

December 24, 2007
Mr. Roger Goodell
Commissioner
National Football League
280 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10017

Dear Commissioner Goodell,

As a Bostonian, I couldn't be more pleased that in just five days, the New England Patriots will attempt to become the first NFL team in 35 years to finish the regular season with an undefeated record. But as someone who represents all of Massachusetts and not just those in the Boston media market, I remain deeply troubled that today as many as 250,000 Massachusetts households, and millions of Patriots fans nationwide, may be denied access to this historic sporting event.

Despite an unwillingness by both sides to strike a compromise that best meets the interest of the fans, there remain several options for making this game widely available. One option is found in what is referred to as the NFL's "flex schedule", which permits the League to switch the currently scheduled Sunday night NBC game for a game of broader public appeal. Electing to air the game on NBC would ensure that every television in America has access to such a historic game. Throughout the season, the NFL has made this decision with respect to other games of high importance and broad national interest.

For a game of this significance to be used as a bargaining chip or point of leverage between corporations locked in a dispute would say a great deal about the esteem in which America's football fans are held by the big interests. Under the unfortunate circumstance that this matter remains unresolved, leaving 60 percent of households across the country - including thousands in Massachusetts - without access to Saturday's game, I will ask the Senate Commerce Committee to hold hearings on how the emergence of premium sports channels are impacting the consumer, and I will consider what legislative measures may be necessary to ensure that consumers are more than bystanders in this process.

I hope very much to see a satisfactory solution achieved. I've offered - and my offer stands - to convene a meeting of all parties with the goal of reaching an 11th hour solution. I hope it is not too late to get something done for fans everywhere. Thank you for consideration of this request.

Sincerely,

John F. Kerry
United States Senate

cc: Brian Roberts, President, Comcast Corporation
Glenn Britt, President, Time Warner, Inc.

yeah, apparently the cable companies were one of the highest donators to kerry's campaign... www.opensecrets.org . there was a thread on that

yeah, apparently the cable companies were one of the highest donators to kerry's campaign... www.opensecrets.org . there was a thread on that

Thats not relevant here. Both sides are culpable here, but the NFL has much more to lose - it's antitrust exemption, should the legislature choose to go down that path.

Thats not relevant here. Both sides are culpable here, but the NFL has much more to lose - it's antitrust exemption, should the legislature choose to go down that path.

More misinformation - ignore that man behind the curtain ! NFL Network is culpable how ? It was the cable companies that unilaterally decided to move NFL network from a basic channel to a premium channel in order to more efficiently rape customers ...... and here we have our new 'congress' coming in and interceding on behalf of the multi-billion dollar cable monopolies .......

Of course money paid to a politician matters ..... like I said in the other thread, this should be no surprise to anybody that follows the corruption in the MA congressional delegation.

Who is the 4th largest contributor to Kerry's 2008 re-election campaign ? Time Warner, who owns dozens of cable companies:

http://www.opensecrets.org/races/contrib.asp?ID=MAS2&cycle=2008&special=N

They were the #3 single largest contributor to Kerry in the 2004 election:
http://www.opensecrets.org/presidential/contrib.asp?id=N00000245&cycle=2004

Notice the weasel wording in Kerry's letter that accuses the NFL of using the game as a bargaining chip ..... HELLO MR KERRY - that game was slated for NFL Network SIX MONTHS AGO .... long before anyone thought that the Pats could go 16-0.

Pathetic.

Enjoy,

R

More misinformation - ignore that man behind the curtain ! NFL Network is culpable how ? It was the cable companies that unilaterally decided to move NFL network from a basic channel to a premium channel in order to more efficiently rape customers ...... and here we have our new 'congress' coming in and interceding on behalf of the multi-billion dollar cable monopolies .......

Of course money paid to a politician matters ..... like I said in the other thread, this should be no surprise to anybody that follows the corruption in the MA congressional delegation.

Who is the 4th largest contributor to Kerry's 2008 re-election campaign ? Time Warner, who owns dozens of cable companies:

Notice the weasel wording in Kerry's letter that accuses the NFL of using the game as a bargaining chip ..... HELLO MR KERRY - that game was slated for NFL Network SIX MONTHS AGO .... long before anyone thought that the Pats could go 16-0.

Pathetic.

Enjoy,

R

... :agree: ...

... :agree: ...

I also agree with this opinion, and find it somewhat pathetic that a lot of consumers seem to be eating up what the Cable companies are spewing out.

Relevant is in the eye of the beholder, motivation on the part of Politicians is always relevant to their actions. Because while they are elected to serve the voters they most often serve themselves first and foremost.

To me this is how I view it

Politician - The Hustler

Cable Company – Conman

NFLN - Snake Oil Salesman

Pathetic.

Enjoy,

R

This is not what happened. Let's have a little bit of honesty and fair play about this topic, shall we?

Time Warner's statement on the issue:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/CustomerService/FAQ/TWCFaqs.ashx?faqMap=29884&MarketID=5

Here's part of the games that the NFL is playing:

http://iwantnflnetwork.com/

The NFL wants to force cable companies to put its channel on the basic tier, yet it made a deal with DirectTV to only allow NFL Sunday ticket to people who sign up with that company. So, the NFL is just fine with limiting who can watch their games if the money is right and going to them, but gets all pissed off when someone else decides to do the same thing. People need to learn to separate the game from the business. The NFL is one of the most overbearing 'companies' in this country (Playmakers would say "hi", but the NFL got it canceled) and, frankly, is long overdue for an asskicking by companies that aren't afraid to tell the league to take a hike.

Time Warner's statement on the issue:

The NFL wants to force cable companies to put its channel on the basic tier, yet it made a deal with DirectTV to only allow NFL Sunday ticket to people who sign up with that company. So, the NFL is just fine with limiting who can watch their games if the money is right and going to them, but gets all pissed off when someone else decides to do the same thing. People need to learn to separate the game from the business. The NFL is one of the most overbearing 'companies' in this country (Playmakers would say "hi", but the NFL got it canceled) and, frankly, is long overdue for an asskicking by companies that aren't afraid to tell the league to take a hike.

I mean, really - how fricken stupid are you ? Other that quoting a cable company press release, have you bothered to educate yourself on this subject at all ? There have been half a dozen threads on this issue on this board over the course of the season. The only parties denying people access to NFL games and gouging their customers is the cable/media monopolies.

Let me summarize for you in terms even you can understand:

1. NFL Network in 2006 becomes one of the fastest growing channels in TV history

2. NFL announces that in 2007 they will make available at no extra charge up to 8 regular season games on the NFL network - GAMES THAT FOR MOST PEOPLE WOULD NORMALLY NOT EVER HAVE A CHANCE TO SEE.

3. The largest cable companies in the country, WHO HAVE CARRIED THE NFL NETWORK IN THEIR BASIC SERVICE SINCE ITS INCEPTION - suddenly decide (at the beginning of the NFL season) that it is in their customers 'interest' to REMOVE A CHANNEL THEY GOT IN THE BASIC PACKAGE and MAKE THEM pay $10-30 more a month to see it (along with the WNBA channel and the Curling channel). This is despite the fact that a channel like ESPN charges nearly 4x per subscriber than the NFL Network does - and they didn't move that channel.

4. Even though people who decide NOT TO UPGRADE are charged the same amount for the BASIC SERVICE, the cable companies call this "saving the customer money", and, even more absurdly "protecting them from the NFL forcing them to have the channel".

5. Cable execs sit back and light cigars, confident that the NFL will capitulate, and fork over the lion share of the profits of the new channel in return for access. It's a sweetheart deal ..... they make money off the consumer end by forcing subscriber to upgrade to plans with fat margins .... and they have their fingers in the pocket of the league no matter how it turns out.... it's a win win .... and they have no capital investment at risk. Of course, they didn't count on Goodell not giving in, which leads to plan B .......

6. .... which is to have their newly bought politicians haul the league up before a kangaroo court, on the pretense that somehow PROVIDING MORE FREE GAMES is relevant to the leagues antitrust exemption. It doesn't get more ironic than that. Of course there will be no discussion of the REAL issue, which is the CABLE COMPANIES abuse of their monopolies.

My prediction is that the politicians will come up with some 'compromise' proposal that will have some government arbitrator come up with a settlement. Of course, that arbitrator will be picked by those same politicians that have the Time Warner megabucks falling out of their pockets ..... which is exactly what the cable and media monopolies want.

R

To me this is how I view it

Politician - The Hustler

Cable Company – Conman

NFLN - Snake Oil Salesman

Couldn't agree more.

This is not the only reason Kerry (and the rest of the Mass delegation) don't get along.

The NFL is opposed to the private funding of stadiums, preferring that taxpayer foot the bill for the building of football stadiums. Kerry and others in Mass support private funding of football stadiums.

everyone in the RI area game at my house on nice big screen with 7.1 surround sound. Just kidding but seriously I can not believe the men in this forum are *****ing over this problem if you dont get the game at home your alternative is a great one go to a bar and watch it with friends and beer away from the wife...where is the problem???

I mean, really - how fricken stupid are you ? Other that quoting a cable company press release, have you bothered to educate yourself on this subject at all ?

Have you done anything more than read the NFL's press release? I am not a fan of cable companies. Actually I hate them. They are greedy and rip of consumers. But nothing they have ever done, tops the greed and abuse that the NFLN has engaged in.

I mean, really - how fricken stupid are you ? Other that quoting a cable company press release, have you bothered to educate yourself on this subject at all ? There have been half a dozen threads on this issue on this board over the course of the season. The only parties denying people access to NFL games and gouging their customers is the cable/media monopolies.

1. NFL Network in 2006 becomes one of the fastest growing channels in TV history

2. NFL announces that in 2007 they will make available at no extra charge up to 8 regular season games on the NFL network - GAMES THAT FOR MOST PEOPLE WOULD NORMALLY NOT EVER HAVE A CHANCE TO SEE.

3. The largest cable companies in the country, WHO HAVE CARRIED THE NFL NETWORK IN THEIR BASIC SERVICE SINCE ITS INCEPTION - suddenly decide (at the beginning of the NFL season) that it is in their customers 'interest' to REMOVE A CHANNEL THEY GOT IN THE BASIC PACKAGE and MAKE THEM pay $10-30 more a month to see it (along with the WNBA channel and the Curling channel). This is despite the fact that a channel like ESPN charges nearly 4x per subscriber than the NFL Network does - and they didn't move that channel.

4. Even though people who decide NOT TO UPGRADE are charged the same amount for the BASIC SERVICE, the cable companies call this "saving the customer money", and, even more absurdly "protecting them from the NFL forcing them to have the channel".

5. Cable execs sit back and light cigars, confident that the NFL will capitulate, and fork over the lion share of the profits of the new channel in return for access. It's a sweetheart deal ..... they make money off the consumer end by forcing subscriber to upgrade to plans with fat margins .... and they have their fingers in the pocket of the league no matter how it turns out.... it's a win win .... and they have no capital investment at risk. Of course, they didn't count on Goodell not giving in, which leads to plan B .......

6. .... which is to have their newly bought politicians haul the league up before a kangaroo court, on the pretense that somehow PROVIDING MORE FREE GAMES is relevant to the leagues antitrust exemption. It doesn't get more ironic than that. Of course there will be no discussion of the REAL issue, which is the CABLE COMPANIES abuse of their monopolies.

My prediction is that the politicians will come up with some 'compromise' proposal that will have some government arbitrator come up with a settlement. Of course, that arbitrator will be picked by those same politicians that have the Time Warner megabucks falling out of their pockets ..... which is exactly what the cable and media monopolies want.

R

Always nice to see one of the NFL's publicists posting here on Patsfans.com....:rolleyes: Unfortunately for you, I do know more about what's gone on than just what's in a couple of press releases, so I know better than to be suckered in by the NFL. Oh, NBATV say's "hello", by the way.

Always nice to see one of the NFL's publicists posting here on Patsfans.com....:rolleyes: Unfortunately for you, I do know more about what's gone on than just what's in a couple of press releases, so I know better than to be suckered in by the NFL. Oh, NBATV say's "hello", by the way.

Okay he had a great post that explained why cable companies and not the NFL are to blame for not carrying the NFL Network, and you post that you know more than him, yet don't care to share your knowledge :confused:
Sorry, I'm not carrying the NFL's water but this issue is ridiculous-I have Directv and I get the NFL Network without having to pay anything extra, why again can't cable do the same thing??

R

I think you forgot to mention that NFLN wants more money than they used to get which is what started all of this...

It is rather ironic that you accuse the previous poster of being a shill.

Okay he had a great post that explained why cable companies and not the NFL are to blame for not carrying the NFL Network, and you post that you know more than him, yet don't care to share your knowledge :confused:
Sorry, I'm not carrying the NFL's water but this issue is ridiculous-I have Directv and I get the NFL Network without having to pay anything extra, why again can't cable do the same thing??

The NFL and DirectTV have a contract, that's why.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2002_Dec_11/ai_95202899

The cable companies have not come to any such agreement. That is their privilege in a 'free' market. If people decide that not having NFLN on their cable system is a deal breaker, they should cancel cable and get DirectTV. I've got no problem with that. Just don't buy into the lies put out by the NFL and start buying that garbage that this is all about the common folk.

If the NFLN is on basic cable, the NFL gets paid for every subscriber, every month. If the NFLN is only on a 'package', the NFL gets paid only for those who buy the package, and for the months they have the package for. In other words, most people either won't pay for NFLN or will only get it during the months that have games. This is about cash, not some high ideal about public access. Heck, if it was about public access, the NFL could have given these games to, say, PBS for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back