PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Network Production value is pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
This was NFL Network's big chance to win over people and actually get them to pay for their product. The production is just awful. Absolutely no replays, particularly in crucial situations (ie, that pass to Boss in which the C got hurt, I don't think that was actually a catch, but they never showed a replay, or WHAT DID BRANDON JACOBS DO to start the damn fight?) & Gumbel is barely cogent. Collingsworth is insightful, but that's just not enough.

Seriously, can someone cue up a motherf-in replay every once in a while? A pack of 12 year olds with a production van could piece together a better airing. Pathetic. What little chance there was that I would pay $7 a month for NFL Network is gone.

I expected nothing less (or more) from the NFLN. Any network which employs Deion Sanders, Terrell Davis, Marshall Faulk and Bryant Gumbel obviously doesn't care about quality.

I expected nothing less (or more) from the NFLN. Any network which employs Deion Sanders, Terrell Davis, Marshall Faulk and Bryant Gumbel obviously doesn't care about quality.
It's survival of the fittest for the broadcast networks, but no pressure from/for the "in" guys. Marshall Fault is pathetic. What would you expect?

I didn't think it was that bad. Actually I thought the picture quality of the HD seemed better than what I usually see on the networks on Sundays.

I'd glady pay for the NFL Network if I could, unfortunately my cable company is a POS.

I actually thought the game production was pretty good, a lot better than any that ESPN has done.

Last edited:
I didn't think Gumbel was that bad. Of course, he sucked, but I'd rather listen to him than Tirico/Kornheiser/Jaworski.

Gumbel wasn't as bad as thought he'd be (though he jinxed Tom when he said Tom hadn't been sacked yet... then the sack!), I thought the picture looked very good, but the sound quality sucked at times (when you could hear more crowd noise than the announcers). My biggest issue was their choice of camera use - they chose poor camera positions to show the play often enough to make me yell at the TV.

I can't say I'm the most perceptive viewer of football games, but the coverage really annoyed me. Excluding the announcers whom others on this board can critique far more cogently than I, the camera work was woeful at times. Many times the cameras were focused on things extraneous to the play actually taking place. I found myself muttering over and over, what just happened? and waiting for a replay. I must say they were spot on with Wilfork's facemask poke. I saw that enumerable times.

I wondered what happened to Meriweather on the sideline during that penalty on Toomer. He fell, but was he tripped? Did Toomer do it? I was surprised we couldn't get another angle on that to see what really happened. :confused:

NFLN definitely saved their worst for last. I was impressed all season long by their production and number of commercial breaks, so what happens? They screw it up in front of a HUGE audience, and they added comercial breaks!

My biggest complaint of the game was Gumbel calling Maroney Larry the one play he got stuffed at the left side of the line.
I rewound multiple times to make sure I heard correct and he clearly said Larry.
It really puzzles me how much he mis says, pronounces names of not just role players but even starters.
I love the NFL network it's heads and tails above ESPN.
Which I try to steer clear away from for NFL coverage.
As far as the analysts I really like Deon he is entertaining and has been pro pays all year.
Marshall Faulk is a little green with envy you can tell, although at times he ass's valuable input to discussions.
Adam Schefter and Rich Eisen are by far the jewels of the network.
I can't stand John Clayton on ESPN and would gladly pay to have some real football analysis for once.
PS. I'm a 7 year direc tv customer and living in PA, have never missed a Patriot game thank to them.
I will gladly pay the price of the sunday ticket every year.
As far as the lack of replays yes I was very disappointed.
On a complete different note isn't it funny that Kraft was pretty tipsy while he was being interviewed and making his speech.
Hey were 16 and 0 Baby new season starts now drink it up ROBERT:rocker:

The production was actually better than usual. However, that is not saying much.

...(ie, that pass to Boss in which the C got hurt, I don't think that was actually a catch, but they never showed a replay...

I was thinking the exact same thing and kept waiting for an officials' review (was inside 2:00 minutes). I'm not sure that can be blamed on the NFL Network production (I would hope the officials upstairs are seeing replays even if they're not being aired on TV) but it seemed like O'Hara's injury distracted everyone. There was one replay (focused on the injury I think) where you could barely see the receiver in the background and I think there was an excellent chance he was out when he had control of the ball.

I really don't get some of you. I have NFLN because I want to watch more football programming year round. And they do deliver that - even in baseball season. Some of you remind me of my cousin who was biatching last week that he couldn't afford it. Then he told me about his new 52" plasma. Said he really loves replays with commentary, but he won't swap out his HBO to get it...

I call people like that hardcore casual fans...

Not enough replays - they seemed too overwhelmed to get a quick replay in half the time, omitting some significant penalties, blocks, or showed the wrong angle, etc., certainly they lacked the flow and focus you see on Sundays from CBS/Fox.

I think Gumbel and Faulk are terrible, but Deion and Eisen are great. I really enjoy listening to Sanders in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes