PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Network Post-Draft Interview with BB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amnorix

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I hadn't seen this anywhere else, and don't remember seeing any links to it from any Pats website either, so although it's a bit dated, I'll post it here. Hopefully it's not a repeat. It's an interview of BB with Rich Eisen.

According to Allthingsbillbelichick, a full video is available at Patriots.com, which I'll probably check out later.

http://www.allthingsbillbelichick.com/transcripts/2006/06apr29nflnet.htm

Well, that was certainly an informative read.

"Mayock: You've been snakebit a little bit with the cornerback position the last couple years—your safeties and a little bit with the linebackers—with injuries. Are you happy with what you did in the offseason? What do you have to do to become a better team in that back seven or back eight?

Belichick: Well, I think there are a lot of things we can do better. Let's start with the coaching. Maybe I can coach a little better; I think that'll help us out more than anything. But we can use depth at every position on the football team, so whenever we get an opportunity to add players that we feel like can contribute to our system that's what we'll do. But that pretty much goes across the board."

This is why BB is so good. He always takes responsibility for his football team and points the finger at himself first. He's always trying to improve.

I agree Smg. In this day and age leaders very rarely take responsibility when something bad happens, so it's great to hear him say it.

But do you think his comments might also be a little dig at Mangini? There was quite a bit of criticisim of his conservative play calling.

Last edited:
Hoodie said:
But do you think his comments might also be a little dig at Mangini? There was quite a bit of criticim of his conservative play calling.
I don't ever recall BB criticizing Mangini's playcalling, and don't think BB would take shots at Mangini because NEM didn't like Mangini's playcalling.

I don't see any way the interview response can be construed as anything but BB talking about himself. I would be extremely disappointed if BB did as you are suggesting, which would be transferring his own blame onto someone else.

BB is the head coach. If he didn't like Mangini's play callling, but let it go on all seasonwith saying anything, then the problem would not be Mangini, it would be BB.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assumed that any conservative playcalling was because we were siging people on Tuesday and playing them Sunday. If it took Vrable a year to get confortable, how would Hawkins be up to it in 3 weeks?

Pointing the finger at himself is a good way to take heat off the players (as Francona does), but let's face it, it is easy for BB to do this with his track record and because no one really believes it.

I think it was kind of funny for the announcer to say he passed on Chad Jackson when Santonio Holmes was clearly supposedly the number 1 WR this year. Maybe these guys know a bit more than they lead on.

But great, if this interview was after pick #1 (it looks like it.) Because we passed on Gator-Aid, and then got him anyway.

spacecrime said:
I don't ever recall BB criticizing Mangini's playcalling, and don't think BB would take shots at Mangini because NEM didn't like Mangini's playcalling.

I don't see any way the interview response can be construed as anything but BB talking about himself. I would be extremely disappointed if BB did as you are suggesting, which would be transferring his own blame onto someone else.

BB is the head coach. If he didn't like Mangini's play callling, but let it go on all seasonwith saying anything, then the problem would not be Mangini, it would be BB.

More people than NEM were critical of Mangini. I don't think BB would transfer blame, he's ultimately responsible for what plays get called. But the play calling did loosen up towards the end of the season. I think it was Willie McGinest who was quoted directly about the changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes