PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Network on Pats Cap...$14M under?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebman2112

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I'm watching the NFL Network's coverage of Free Agency, and one of their host just said "we have the Patriots unofficially at $14M under the cap"

Did I miss something? Didn't NFL.com have them at $17.4M, before they released Rosevelt Colvin? That doesn't make any sense, can someone shed any light?

Re: NFL Network on Pats Cap....$14M under?

I saw that too. If that's the case, that's not as much as it would seem they will need to address the current holes and the #7 pick.

Miguel has the Pats at $18.8 million prior to resigning Bruschi. I will trust Miguel's number more.

They may not have included the Eckel LTBE incentive - everyone has different numbers, Miguel's are probably as good as anyones as he cross checks sources the best he can.

I'm watching the NFL Network's coverage of Free Agency, and one of their host just said "we have the Patriots unofficially at $14M under the cap"

Did I miss something? Didn't NFL.com have them at $17.4M, before they released Rosevelt Colvin? That doesn't make any sense, can someone shed any light?

There could be a few things. First and foremost, could be the LTBE/NLTBE debits and credits from last year. It also could be that several of the escalators on player contracts have kicked in.

I'm not worried about the Cap. Can't they get a big chunk of cap space by extending Brady?

If they need the money for the right player at the right price, they'll have the money.

I'm not worried about the Cap. Can't they get a big chunk of cap space by extending Brady?

If they need the money for the right player at the right price, they'll have the money.

you should be worried about the cap... if they use #7 there's a good chunk of change. the money wil run out quickly after one big free agent signing.

where'd all the depth in the secondary go?

you should be worried about the cap... if they use #7 there's a good chunk of change. the money wil run out quickly after one big free agent signing.

I think you are unneccessarily worrying. If the Pats only had $2 million against the cap, but the Pats could easily free up more money if neccessary. JoeSixPat said the easiest way with renegotiating with Brady. They could convert part of Light's salary ($3.75 million) into a signing bonus.

If teams need cap money, there are easy ways to get it.

P.S. The #7 pick will get a six year deal, his first year cap number probably won't have a big cap number his rookie season.

Last edited:

You can start by cutting Kyle Brady.

I have suggested that in the past. That will free up $2 million right there. We do need to find a blocking TE first though.

Thank goodness we don't have the #6 pick. That guy we took at #6 a few years back KILLED us in the salary cap. No one can stand the guy.

Last year - as crazy as the top salaries for rookies were, Adrian Peterson signed a 5 year contract with $17 million in guarantees.

There might even be a voidable 6th year in it for cap purposes - allowing the cap hit of the signing bonus to be stretched over 6 years.

The salary portion of course is back loaded - so his rookie salary was probably pretty low.

So do you really think a cap hit of between $3 and $5 million for the #7 pick in 2008 is really going to hamstring us?

Let's say its $5 million. That still leaves us with $12 million. And if we decide to extend Brady we could EASILLY make that $5 million back right there.

Last edited:

I have suggested that in the past. That will free up $2 million right there. We do need to find a blocking TE first though.
Belichick seems to draft a tight end every year .... well nearly every year.

Thank goodness we don't have the #6 pick. That guy we took at #6 a few years back KILLED us in the salary cap.

sorry to tell you. but no where in my statement says we shouldn't use that pick. in fact i'm expecting and hoping they use it on gholston or jake long if miraculously he slips.

the salary cap now and the cap then is a bit different...don't you think?

Yes, it could. But it won't because the Pats know how to structure their deals to get the maximum cap benefit. Also, why don't you check out how much the #7 pick signed for last year.

sorry to tell you. but no where in my statement says we shouldn't use that pick. in fact i'm expecting and hoping they use it on gholston or jake long if miraculously he slips.

Yeah, be ignorant by not reading the rest of his post that points out that Adrian Peterson's deal was only 5 years and 17 million.

For the record, Peterson's cap hit last year was only 2.425 million. Even if you add 10%, that only bring it to about 2.7 million

Seems to me that you don't understand enough about the subject in which you've involved yourself.

You can start by cutting Kyle Brady.

i thought this board was in love with kyle brady....

what happened now?

he was a beast the whole season, played exceptionally, then got hurt and his productions decreased...

the only reason that i can account for the change of heart is the SB loss, but then again i can name you another 10 offensive starters that played poorly in that game....ill start with the name Tom Brady (you wanna cut him too?)

kyle brady stays

kyle brady stays
To be an overpaid 36 year old third string tight end who only caught nine passes all season.

To be an overpaid 36 year old third string tight end who only caught nine passes all season.
They weren't paying him to catch passes.

But after seeing him get his ass handed to him by the Giants front four in the SB, I wonder if his blocking is worth the money.

Right - I understand your point was that the salary cap hit of rookie at #7 is going to seriously hamstring us given our cap situation.

The truth is, picking Seymour a pick higher than we have this year was a HUGE PLUS for us. I'd like to see you find someone who thinks he didn't outplay his rookie contract value. I know Seymour certainly didn't feel that way, which is why he demanded a renegotiation before it was even done.

The team would have HAPILLY continued the terms of his #6 spot rookie contract.

Yet I should worry about our cap space with #7 this year? A maximum $5 million salary cap hit for #7 is something to worry about, even though some accounting maneuvers and a renegotiation for Brady could make up twice that amount?

But after seeing him get his ass handed to him by the Giants front four in the SB, I wonder if his blocking is worth the money.
My point exactly and the guy ain't getting any younger. Hopefully David Thomas puts him out to pasture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes