PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL - what do you like more ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough question. Erm, let me see.....
Ok. #1 is obvious. The only other American sport I remotely follow is baseball and that's more because, like other foreign Patsfanistas, I have become a Red Sox fan by default. I remember watching Game 1 of the WS while posting in the chat room. It was really informative and good fun.

Well there's the NFL. And after that there's NCAA football. And after that there's an occasional High School football game.

I don't really care much about the others may sneak a peek sometimes. But, I do know soccer sucks.:rocker:

You have to understand how fickle fans are, if there teams are great like the Pats you will see more die hards. All this the NBA stinks is nonsense. the Celtics stink, so you lose interest in the league. The NBA is great, after the NFL best sports league in the country.

I love the NFL, always have been my favorite sport to watch and the Pats have always been my favorite team, followed by the Celtics and Red Sox.

The Bruins could be playing in my backyard, and I would shut the shades. And I played hockey in HS and competitive junior hockey. but that sport is dead to me, Jeremy Jacobs the reason, but the strike definitely killed it.

When I was growing up the NBA was king in Boston, Bird ruled the region. People think of Boston as red sox nation, they were an after thought, when I was growing up in the 80s. Celtics games were the event. The pats were barely on the Radar, they were the Bruins f today. They C's were the kings, now that they are awful, people around NE think that the NBA is awful. It’s just not true, if the Celtics had the Spurs team over the last decade, this town would be BBall crazy.

So in conclusion
1)NFL
2)NBA
3)MLB
There is no

I'd have to say the NFL is #1 with me far and away. On Sunday's, I love watching every game on TV, will watch as much football as possible.

Although I am a fan of the Red Sox, I could care less about the rest of MLB, the only time I watch non Red Sox games is when the Yankees are on so I can see them lose, which they do very well lately.

Regarding the NHL, I could care less, the sport is so watered down it's pathetic. As far as the NBA, if it went away tomorrow I could care less, the NBA is beyond pathetic.....................

I agree, I have no idea what else is going on in the MLB. I just cheer the red sox, and cheer for whoever is playing the yankees. And yea, it is a shame what happened to hockey, it used to be great to watch, but not anymore :( Maybe if we could get another Bobby Orr?

And yes, the NBA is very pathetic. Maybe if the players put effort into it, it might be a fun game to watch... But i still doubt it.

Last edited:
NFL by a long ways, I love the history and traditions of the league. There are many things to like about the NFL.
I like the Red Sox and Bruins and still love the Celtics just wish they didn't suck so much now.

Let me try to attach some "stars" to my preferences:

NFL/Patriots - 4 stars
MLB/Red Sox- 1 star
College basketball - 1 star
Indy racing - 1 star
NBA- 1/2 star ( for old time Celtics sake)

Everything else - golf, Nascar, etc. 0.0 stars

Peter Pat,
In theory your points make a lot of sense, ie, if a team is very good, interest in that sport spikes. See the yahoos in Anahiem, Carolina and Florida who "became" hockey fans when their teams got to the cup finals; prior to that, most of them could have given two ****s about hockey.

However, your theory does not apply to me. When the Celtics were good in the 1980's, if someone gave me playoff tickets for free I wouldn't have gone. Not a fan of the sport, never have been, never will be. When the Celtics afew years ago got to the conference finals vs New Jersey, I could have cared less. When Ainge is on EEI or when Holley goes on and on and on about basketball, I change channels.

Never played the sport, don't follow the sport, never have, never will. I used to be a Bruins fan, my interest in the team died in the early 1990's, I'll never go back to the sport, it's dead to me. If the Patriots ever become an also ran in football, it will not change my attitude towards the sport, will watch it no matter what...............

Nfl,hands down.Used to watch the NBA,NHL,but they are boring now.Still like Olympic hockey,thats good to watch.

Huge NFL Fan

Pretty big MLB fan (hubby is from NY, so we enjoy the Red Sox/Yankess rivalry at my house)

Couldn't care less about the NBA or the NHL

the beauty of the NFL it is also that it is only (regular season) 16 games overall

it means that more or less every game is crucial

in all the other sports the games playied are so many that, imho, you loose the 'intensity'

i love the period starting september and i really like WEEK 1

NFL #1 all the way. 50 times better than any other league. I used to follow all four major sports but I am down to following the NFL for the following reasons;

1) MLB - went on strike when the avg pay was over $1,000,000/yr. Totally out of touch with the fan base. Also, the steroid issue became a joke. The game is way too slow also.

2) NBA - they stopped enforcing the traveling rule. Now its the pick up your dribble, hop, skip, hop, skip then dunk league. I also could not connect with the "Thug" image of the league.

3) NHL - I could no longer justify the criminal fighting that went on.

NFL By Far!!!

The NFL is not perfect, but it is tons better than the alternative.

There are so many games in the other leagues that they really don't matter.

One play in an NFL game carries the same wieght as an entire MLB game.

The NFL and Players work together pretty much to make sure everyone wins and the NFL stays on top. While I do think the players have been taking the owners to the cleaners, it's nothing like the other leagues. I think the NHL have finally got thier act together, but the players' stupid strike set the NHL back huge. It will be a long time before the NHL gets to where it should be.

Like I said, the NFL is not perfect (No Fun League), but right now there is no one close! Probably the top two reasons:

1. Salary Cap (an absolute must)
2. No Guaranteed contract. I think it would be better to have contracts that paid the player based on his performance and had that guaranteed, but that would be largely impossible to get the players to agree to. So I guess this is the next best thing.

the beauty of the NFL it is also that it is only (regular season) 16 games overall

Argh, that's my least favorite part considering modern sports coverage. Each week during football season is broken down into 1 day of action (Sunday), 1 day of review (Monday), and 5 days of prognostication (Tues-Sat). I can't stand that. One thing I love about baseball is that something new happens just about every day.

Also, in football you have to wait a week to get over a bad loss.

Argh, that's my least favorite part considering modern sports coverage. Each week during football season is broken down into 1 day of action (Sunday), 1 day of review (Monday), and 5 days of prognostication (Tues-Sat). I can't stand that. One thing I love about baseball is that something new happens just about every day.

Also, in football you have to wait a week to get over a bad loss.

of course i respect Yr opinion, however, from my side i like the NFL as today's it is

i would make no changements at all

i really like the today's rules

any play , as per another post mentioned above, is important and any game is more or less 'vital'

a beauty...NFL ? best sport, no doubt

Last edited:
#1: NFL Football
#2: NFL Football
#3: Boxing

NFL by far. I can sit and watch the Raiders play the Bucs and still be mildly interested.

I used to be a a huge NBA fan, but they have destroyed the league and only a rare few teams play the type of basketball I used to love and even then, they still are a watereddown version of teams from the 80's and early 90's when the NBA was relevant.

I can't watch a baseball game on TV, but enjoy going to Sox games.

I'd rather watch college hockey than the NHL anyday. There is another sport where rule changes and style of play have ruined the sport.

#1: NFL by such a wide margin it's ridiculous

(#1a: NCAA Football)

#2: MLB--very little in April or May, but nice to watch off and on after June 1; more serious following in September and for the playoffs.

#3: NBA Post Season; next to no interest in the regular season.

(#3a: NCAA March Madness, not so much the regular season)

#4: NHL: Post Season only; barely aware that they're playing during the regular season

NFL by far. I can sit and watch the Raiders play the Bucs and still be mildly interested.

correct; an NFL game also for me is always very interesting indipendently who is on the field

for example: i loved to see the game playied in MEX between ARI and SF and i enjoyed it a lot

perhaps only at the end of the regular season if two teams with very bad records are playing...ok...probably the interest in that case goes really down

for me the best NFL moments are: week.1 and the first week of Wild Card Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye