Status
Not open for further replies.

JR4

In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
NFL | Owners not allowed to talk about CBA
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 10:12:32 -0800

Pat Yasinskas, of the Charlotte Observer, reports NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue sent out a letter telling NFL owners they are not allowed to talk about the lack of agreement on the new collective bargaining agreement. When asked about the lack of agreement in an interview with the Charlotte Observer, Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson said, "I'm not allowed to talk about that because the commissioner has sent out a letter and I'd be risking a $500,000 fine."
------------------------------------------------------

I wonder what they would say if they were allowed to talk?

Why would Tagliabue send out such a letter? What is he afraid of?

$500,000 Fine?
Maybe the public would agree with the Owners who are being Muzzled.
But I guess we won't know.

Tag finally does something right.

JR4 said:
I wonder what they would say if they were allowed to talk?

Why would Tagliabue send out such a letter? What is he afraid of?

$500,000 Fine?
Maybe the public would agree with the Owners who are being Muzzled.
But I guess we won't know.

Obviously, as we tried to illustrate for you in another thread, there are some owners who have successfully blackmailed the public taxpayers and now they also want a piece of the action from those owners who didn't.

I'd expect that owners on both sides of the issue might want to explain their position, as some people just don't seem to "get it".

But that type of infighting among the owners isn't good for the NFL's image, let alone their position in negotiating with the Players Association.

Most owners would abide by the honor system but as we all know, there are a few loose canons among the owners as well.

JoeSixPat said:

I'd expect that owners on both sides of the issue might want to explain their position, as some people just don't seem to "get it".

But that type of infighting among the owners isn't good for the NFL's image, let alone their position in negotiating with the Players Association.

Most owners would abide by the honor system but as we all know, there are a few loose canons among the owners as well.

Nice spin. Since as you say both sides would like to explain, you "obviously"
do not know what is going on either. You're guessing. Since we can't hear
both sides we can't know to any extent the issues. The NFL appears determined to keep it that way. But you believe without
question the good intentions of men who have at stake enormous amounts of power and money. I may be naive but not so much so that I don't at least
question things especially when a powerful organization is exerting tremdous
pressure to keep things hidden.

This is such a tremendouly important topic not only to player and owners but
to fans who spend thousands on dollars every year. It should be public not
concealed. Just maybe you and many of us would be distrubed if we knew
what was really going on.

For example we might find out that there is an effort by a group of owners
to control who becomes an owner of an NFL team and that group has a
agenda that is NOT in the best interest of Players and Fans.
But we can't know, at least not until the ban on information is lifted, if
it ever will be.

JR4 said:
Nice spin. Since as you say both sides would like to explain, you "obviously" do not know what is going on either. You're guessing.

Not true. I guess I'd better fess up. My real name is Jonathan Kraft. I know exactly what's going on.

I give you credit JR4, for you're aptly closing in on the conspiracy theory that Lord Taglibue is trying to hide.

While I'm not at liberty to divulge exactly what the truth is, let me just suggest that the rise in reports of UFO activity at the same time the NFL began its rise to prominence is not the coincidence it would seem.

I TOLD Lord Tagliabue that no one would believe the excuse that a ban on discussing contract negotiations with the press was just "good common sense".

After all, leaking information to the press worked perfectly for the Red Sox - as evidenced by the fact that Theo Epstein's back with the team now, making the Red Sox management look like geniuses!

You, JR4, put all these other fans to shame with your inquisitive insight and conspiracy theories. You've got it all figured out.

Well done and Bravo!

This is somehow big news? David Stern does this every time he negotiates a CBA. The commish wants ownership to speak with one voice - his.

JR4,
Think for a moment, before you start yet another thread of conspiracy theories. What do you want from the NFL?

It is a legal cartel (caveat emptor, I'm not a lawyer, I use these words loosely).

It is one of those rare groups of organizations where the public benefits from a conspiracy designed to reduce competition. They call it parity, forcing mediocrity on the winners by giving losers unfair advantage. They use economics, scheduling and other means, part of which is in the CBA.

Tagliabue is enforcing the cartel's silence during the negotiations. He is within his rights to do so, as the representative of all the owners. It is in their interest, not ours. It is their cartel.

So there is a conspiracy. It's not just a theory. And it's what we want.

I'm sure you can find things you don't want, you've proven to have a vivid imagination. (sorry, I couldn't resist the dig)

But remember, we are consumers. We have no more right to be privy to their discussions than to sit in on a meeting where Colgate designs a new toothpaste and negotiates with its suppliers. It doesn't matter how many thousands of dollars consumers spend on toothpaste. Remember, the cartel is legal.

You could argue that we do have a right to know since they use public money, but Robert Kraft financed his own stadium, and will you look at it that, we're right back at the other thread, and once again, Kraft is not the villain. ;)

JR4, please tell us, what's your point?

JR4 said:
This is such a tremendouly important topic not only to player and owners but
to fans who spend thousands on dollars every year. It should be public not
concealed. Just maybe you and many of us would be distrubed if we knew
what was really going on.

For example we might find out that there is an effort by a group of owners
to control who becomes an owner of an NFL team and that group has a
agenda that is NOT in the best interest of Players and Fans.
But we can't know, at least not until the ban on information is lifted, if
it ever will be.
You obviously were never involved in any negotiations. Only when sides go behind closed doors and can talk openly do things get done. When thigns are said publicly the sides are posturing for public sympathy, not trying to get a deal done. The Union could never say anything except pro-union stuff. The owners would say what they think would make them look good, and there would be no compromise.

Sides CANNOT speak their mind. You would be the first to jump down the throat of anyone sho said anything that made it sound like a conspiracy theory. The next day, the next year, whenver, when things are going in a different direction, you'd be, "Yeah, well XXX showed his true colors back in 2006 yadda yadda yadda"

Sorry, but I agree with teh guy who said "Tagliabue finally did somethign right" and I can tell you that I am NOT a Tabliabue fan!

spacecrime said:
You obviously were never involved in any negotiations. Only when sides go behind closed doors and can talk openly do things get done. When thigns are said publicly the sides are posturing for public sympathy, not trying to get a deal done. The Union could never say anything except pro-union stuff. The owners would say what they think would make them look good, and there would be no compromise.

Sides CANNOT speak their mind. You would be the first to jump down the throat of anyone sho said anything that made it sound like a conspiracy theory. The next day, the next year, whenver, when things are going in a different direction, you'd be, "Yeah, well XXX showed his true colors back in 2006 yadda yadda yadda"

Sorry, but I agree with teh guy who said "Tagliabue finally did somethign right" and I can tell you that I am NOT a Tabliabue fan!

Don't you think the participants know that? rather obvious i would think.
Perhaps they are at an impass and one group see's public exposure as the
only way to break the dead lock. Another group fears the public exposure
as it would not be good for them. Not too difficult to understand.
I, for one, would at this point of stalled negotiations, like to hear both sides.
Time is running out.

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:
Not true. I guess I'd better fess up. My real name is Jonathan Kraft. I know exactly what's going on.

I give you credit JR4, for you're aptly closing in on the conspiracy theory that Lord Taglibue is trying to hide.

While I'm not at liberty to divulge exactly what the truth is, let me just suggest that the rise in reports of UFO activity at the same time the NFL began its rise to prominence is not the coincidence it would seem.

I TOLD Lord Tagliabue that no one would believe the excuse that a ban on discussing contract negotiations with the press was just "good common sense".

After all, leaking information to the press worked perfectly for the Red Sox - as evidenced by the fact that Theo Epstein's back with the team now, making the Red Sox management look like geniuses!

You, JR4, put all these other fans to shame with your inquisitive insight and conspiracy theories. You've got it all figured out.

Well done and Bravo!

Friend if you did a little reading you might be surprised to learn a few things.
I just don't come up with off the wall assertions. You've got Google ... spend
sometime and do a little research.
- There is a power struggle going on
- The group that wins may change the NFL from here on out.

Don't be one complaining years down the road crying in your beer
wondering how it all happend.

Last edited:
PatsFan37 said:
JR4,

But remember, we are consumers. We have no more right to be privy to their discussions than to sit in on a meeting where Colgate designs a new toothpaste and negotiates with its suppliers.

It doesn't matter how many thousands of dollars consumers spend on toothpaste. Remember, the cartel is legal.

There are many brands of Toothpaste ... there is only one NFL ....
so if a group of owners wants to tell fans what going on, what's about
to affect the one and only Football league .... I for one would like to know
and there may be others that would also like to know.

JR4 said:
Friend if you did a little reading you might be surprised to learn a few things.
I just don't come up with off the wall assertions. You've got Google ... spend
sometime and do a little research.
- There is a power struggle going on
- The group that wins may change the NFL from here on out.

Don't be one complaining years down the road crying in your beer
wondering how it all happend.

I take it we can count on you making your marriage counseling sessions public?

Howabout posting your salary negotiations on the internet?

Perhaps just start with your real name name, JR4.

After all, what are you trying to hide?

Do you not see ANY reason why it might be a GOOD idea to conduct difficult negotiations in private?

Is your name John Henry perhaps? You seem to think that EVERYTHING should be shared with the media and the public, and that any effort to discuss things privately MUST be counter to the greater good.

That just strikes many of us here as very odd.

The last phases of negotiations should always be held in private. At some point, everyone needs to be locked in a hotel room until it's done.

JR4 said:
There are many brands of Toothpaste ... there is only one NFL ....
so if a group of owners wants to tell fans what going on, what's about
to affect the one and only Football league .... I for one would like to know
and there may be others that would also like to know.
NEWS FLASH: the only stories that leak are the ones that a certain owner wants to spin in his direction.

We will get the full story when everything is over. ther will be more than a few owners who will shoot off their mouths to their favorite reported.

Even if we knew about evrything going on in these meetings, what in the world would we do about it anyway?

The most important thing is that they get the CBA done. How they finally agree to it is probably none of our business anyway.

spacecrime said:

Yes. I completely agree. Deals with the negotiators facing in two directions are hellishly difficult without having to stand up to feed-back from behind while the negotiations are going on. You need one guy who is tough and smart -- if you want to see what happens to sports organizations with no unified leadership look no further than European soccer.

PATSNUTme said:

We will get the full story when everything is over. ther will be more than a few owners who will shoot off their mouths to their favorite reported.

Even if we knew about evrything going on in these meetings, what in the world would we do about it anyway?

The most important thing is that they get the CBA done. How they finally agree to it is probably none of our business anyway.

Yes you are probably right, well the story after the "horse is out of the barn"
as they say.
The only reason I can see why some owners wnat to go public is because
things have stalled and they believe public opinion will help them get what
they want.

In other words your opinion and other fans opinion might be on
the side of the owners that want to publically say something
but those owners are being surpressed. Doesn't that concern you?

Since we are Fans
and the shape of the NFL in the future may very well at stake
and we are the fans that pay the dollars that makes it all possible
then I think given that these owners want to tell us something we should have the right to hear what they got to say.

Mike the Brit said:
Yes. I completely agree. Deals with the negotiators facing in two directions are hellishly difficult without having to stand up to feed-back from behind while the negotiations are going on. You need one guy who is tough and smart -- if you want to see what happens to sports organizations with no unified leadership look no further than European soccer.

Yes, you make a good point. But that "unified leadership" should not bend to a
group owners whose adgenda may not be in the best interest of the fans
or the health of the other owerships. Apparently these owners who would
like to speak publically think the fans would be on their side.
Otherwise why would they go public?

I just think many of us don't see what is to be gained by having all the parties do their negotiating in clear view of the media.

There's a rumor that last week the Red Sox sent their ownership out to meet with Roger Clemens. They supposedly kept this secret from the media because they (finally) determined that the media spotlight had hindered past negotiations.

What was discussed with Roger? How much money? How much time off?

Would I like to know? Sure - I'm curious. Are they trying to hide something? Doubtful - there's just no reason to share such details with the media.

The bottom line for the fans - whether its the Red Sox or the NFL CBA or any sports oriented negotiation - is whether a deal gets done or not.

If it doesn't get done, we the fans lose out. And there's absolutely no reason to think that public negotiations HELP achieve an agreement.

Indeed, every example I can think of suggests that negotiating through the media is a BAD idea. It might help both sides to spin but ultimately that doesn't help foster agreement.

By advocating for public disclosure of private negotions, you're advocating for an environment where an agreement is MUCH LESS LIKELY to be achieved.

JoeSixPat said:
By advocating for public disclosure of private negotions, you're advocating for an environment where an agreement is MUCH LESS LIKELY to be achieved.

I'm all for private negotiations. They have been doing that and they are
apparently at an impass. One group of owners apprarently now thinks bringing
in public opinion may get things going again. maybe it won't ... maybe it will.

Once again, the owners wanting to make it public must think the fans would
side with their position .... otherwise why go public ..... and that group of
owners is being surpressed.

This seems to indicate that there is something that is being proposed that
will not be liked by fans who pay the dollars to make this whole thing work.
Is my logic at fault here?

Last edited:
JR4 said:
Is my logic at fault here?

Yes. This has nothing to do with the fans. The only thing players and owners always agree on 100% is they want to get as much of the fans $ as possible.

It has to do with the owners getting the best deal from the players and it has been proven time and again in negotiations that having 1 voice speak for you works - especialy in sports.

dhamz said:
Yes. This has nothing to do with the fans. The only thing players and owners always agree on 100% is they want to get as much of the fans $ as possible.

Funny ..... two contradictory statements:
1. This has nothing to do with the fans.
2. ..... they want to get as much of the fans $ as possible.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back